P Plate System?....Not sure its a safe idea or just adds more chaos?

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:29
ThreadID: 136037 Views:5327 Replies:22 FollowUps:80
This Thread has been Archived
As a regular runner up the M! NSW East Coast, I'm wondering about this P Plate system being such a great idea for the not so experienced drivers on freeway conditions?....Its Ok on quiet running, but when you have dual lanes with vehicles running side by side at 110 Ks an Hr, it becomes a bit dangerous when the left lane all of a sudden is pulled back to 90ks then the fun starts, some just pull out!, Some just jam the brakes on !, some just go straight up the arse of the poor ol Pplater because they cant get out in time, and others if can dodge the chaoes follow until safe to pass,...Thinking even without the driving experience it would be a safer bet to keep up with the flow of Traffic......Thoughts?

Cheers Axle @ HNY.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:35

Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:35
Axle,

Agree 100%.

It's not speed that kills, it's difference in speed.

P-platers doing 80 on a busy 110kph freeway are a danger to themselves and others. But try convincing the roads bureaucracy!
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615803

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:41

Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:41
Whats the difference between this and a vast majority of caravans? And dont say experience. The greatest nuisance on the roads by far in either 100 or 110!
AnswerID: 615804

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:52

Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 22:52
The difference is mate you can see a caravan a KM away , a P plater in a hyundia Getz with a larger car or even a truck or 4by behind it is not really spotted until close range, makes things risky in my book!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 886875

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 23:00

Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 23:00
How fast you going if a P Plater hidden by a truck is an issue? Your issue should be with all slow vehicles and not just P Platers
FollowupID: 886877

Follow Up By: 865 - Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 23:08

Saturday, Dec 30, 2017 at 23:08
Its not caravan drivers who are the biggest nuisance on the road , its the majority of drivers who think they can drive at 100 or 110, they have no idea what their brakes are capable of on different road surfaces ,also impatience, just look at the damage to cars jn high speed accidents
FollowupID: 886879

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:55

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:55
we don't allow Bicycles, tractors, mopeds or other slow vehicles on motorways that travel at 100KMH

Why should we allow P platers or caravans traveling at 80KMH

serioulsy think about it.
FollowupID: 886902

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:17

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:17
My my, Bantam, it is good to see that some of us still have our unhappy hats on right to the second last day of the year.
I wished I had grown up knowing everything about anything before I had to learn about it, as you must have.

Axle, you wrote "The difference is mate you can see a caravan a KM away , a P plater in a hyundia Getz with a larger car or even a truck or 4by behind it is not really spotted until close range, makes things risky in my book!"

If I read this correctly, you are having trouble seeing a little Hyunda Getz in front of a larger car or even a truck.

If it was me, I would be worrying about the larger vehicle that is in front of me, not the smaller car that is in front of it. I may have misinterpreted your post, as I have done an all nighter. I am sure you will if I have.

Cheers, and a Happy New Year to you all.
FollowupID: 886915

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 07:55

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 07:55
This little side thread tells me all I need to know about what is wrong with Australian drivers.
Sharing the road indeed, having three avoidable accidents, indeed.
FollowupID: 886939

Reply By: outlaw40 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:48

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:48
The difference is the majority of drivers that believe its compulsory to be travelling at the posted SPEED LIMIT .Until they change the rules the signed speed limit is just that an upper limit and its up to you to avoid hitting anyone.
( p platers included ).
AnswerID: 615806

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:56

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:56
On German autobahns, trucks are restricted to 90kph and cars can be doing 200kph plus yet they coexist quite well. The difference is that the slow vehicles aren't allowed in the fast lane or lanes unless they are actually overtaking, and the fast cars are not allowed to overtake on the inside like they can here. In many places, trucks are not allowed in the faster lanes ever. I dont think they have provisional licences over there, I only mention it because the rules and system deal very well with slow vehicles and fast vehicles coexisting very well.
AnswerID: 615807

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:15

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:15
Hey Axle, didn't realize it was that time of month already.

I was lead to believe that you are not supposed to travel in the right lane unless you are over taking here as well, also I thought it was illegal to overtake to the left of a vehicle also.

Different rules in different states doesn't help much either.

I think a lot of it boils down to the system here, driving schools don't teach you how to safely control a car, they just teach you how to pass the test.
FollowupID: 886884

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:23

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:23
You are allowed to overtake on the inside in nsw if there are lane markings. Personally I think it should be banned.
FollowupID: 886885

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:40

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:40
Agreed, the two rules sort of go hand in hand, if you cant be in the faster lane unless overtaking then how can undertaking be legal?

In a 3 lane scenario, two vehicles can overtake a slow centre lane vehicle without being aware of the other and both try to move to the centre lane infront of the slow moving vehicle. See that happen a lot.
FollowupID: 886886

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:21

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:21
i know this is getting a little removed from the OP but ill chuck it in anyway.

Many of the smaller routs on the north end of the sunny coast that have been relatively safely operating at 100 kph forever have now been reduced to 90.

The reasoning being that apparently it reduces congestion.

Can anyone explain how?

110 kph highways feeding popular offramps that have been reduced to a lower speed.

Anyway im off to put a reducer in all of my funnels, make them flow better.

FollowupID: 886888

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:31

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:31
"how can undertaking be legal?"

I think the problem is, the way we Aussies drive, undertaking is not just legal, it is a growing business!

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 886899

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:45

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:45
Lower speed limits increases the number of vehicle spaces on the road as the 2 second gap is a reduced distance which means more car space that can then be occupied.
Think how many more vehicles would fit on the road if the speed limit were reduced to say 10 kph!
And we wouldn't need to overtake, we wouldn't need rest stops - you could nap on the move.
There's food for thought for the bureaucracy.
FollowupID: 886900

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:28

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:28
Bob take a drive around Sydney and you will see they already have adopted the idea :)
FollowupID: 886904

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:55

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:55
Yeah Alby, and it's very contagious ;-)
FollowupID: 886908

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 06:47

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 06:47
I'm eagerly awaiting self-driving cars, so I can nap, Etc all the time while I'm on the move. ;)

https://waymo.com
FollowupID: 887015

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 06:50

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 06:50
They run on computers....no thanks, they'll kill us all. Imagine a Microsoft car!
FollowupID: 887016

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:01

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:01
What's the problem? If windows open, close windows, reopen windows, all's well.
FollowupID: 887020

Reply By: maxwelp3 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:35

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:35
The best thing would be for all drivers to learn a bit of lane discipline. The reason european motorways autobahn etc. work so well is the separation of speeds by LANE DISCIPLINE.
On our motorways the vehicles all line up in the fast line because there is a slow vehicle on the left. Of course if they don't all line up then they will never get into the fast lane because everyone else is there and not willing to give up a position in the queue.
Perhaps our driving schools could help by concentrating on driving skills. But then our whole education system works to teach people to pass tests rather than learn.
AnswerID: 615810

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:44

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:44
Yes the European style of driving is much more fluent than ours
They do a much better job of driving with congestion and different conditions than we do
FollowupID: 886887

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:06

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:06
Back on my Hobby Horse! The thing that would make the most difference to our roads is:

1. Teach people how to drive, not how to get a licence!
2. Teach them about road manners, consideration for others, and general good manners!
3. Enforce the road rules to ensure that drivers, actually stop at stop signs, park in accordance with signs, indicate their intentions etc. This will give people the expectation that if they break the rules in any way, they will get caught and they will get booked.
AnswerID: 615812

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:46

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:46
So we need to teach people behaviours they should have already learnt at home growing up...good luck with that....lol...not saying I disagree with you though, we live in a Me Me Me society in many places now sadly.
FollowupID: 886890

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:03

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:03
Yes, I think that people are losing the ability to see that there are consequences to everything they do. When we were kids, if we misbehaved we copped a whack. (I know sometimes this may have gone too far). If we played up in the street we got the proverbial kick up the backside by some giant copper. If we parked too far from the kerb, we got a ticket. Lord knows how we get them to understand that everything they do has a consequence.

You just have to look at the faces of the Police, Ambos and Firies at these scenes of horror that they have to attend to see just one of the consequences. For gods sake, just have a bit of common sense and human decency!
FollowupID: 886892

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:15

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:15
Point 1. is dead set needed, the current system is simply not producing skilled drivers, no idea about real road conditions and how to drive to them.
The rules and WHY they are there, the dangers of not keeping to them, how to drive various weather and road conds, a whole range of forgotten vital skills.

Point 2. yep, seems a lost cause, no common sense, little courtesy or *patience* especially, people unable to control stress of modern life and leads to dangerous driving.

Point 3. absolutely, we have (more than) enough laws, but not enough resources on the road to Police them, red tape for Police is horrendous, there seems to never be enough on the road where they are needed, and cameras don't stop the dangerous driving on the spot.

Some of these recent tragic road toll events are caused by repeat offenders that simply shouldn't ever be on our roads again, the legal penalty system doesn't work with them, they don't care, and will drive if unlicenced anyway, not pay fines, just dangerous drivers who can't help themselves, often on welfare with shady background life of drugs, alcohol, no care given for others.
That is out of control (esp drug driving, road rage anyone ?) in recent years and nothing the Police do seems to stop it, probably needs to be addressed by the legal system.

When society introduces soft policies to keep the status quo of our ever increasing modern politically correct ways, there are a large number of people that will simply take advantage, proper system order is required or society will degenerate as we know it.

It's not only happening on the roads, but through all facets of life if you look around.
FollowupID: 886896

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:14

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:14

Hey Axle, Do you have valid statistics for rear-end collisions with P-platers or do you just THINK it is a regular event?

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 615813

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:06

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:06
That's a fair question, Allan, but based on my recent experience on the Hume Hwy in both NSW and Vic, I think Axle's point/question/comment is valid.

I didn't see any rear-end collisions with P-platers, but I did see evidence of frustration and a few borderline unsafe lane changes by other motorists - which may invite further comment about general driver discipline, thoughtfulness, selfishness, courtesy, etc. Such as drivers in the right lane not backing off slightly to allow one in the left to change lanes when there is a clear need for that to occur.

Etc

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886893

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:18

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:18
Aha Frank. Maybe a need for "F-Plates" ? Lol

As I recall, the Road Rules dictate that if a vehicle ahead of you indicates an intention to move to your lane, you are required to allow them to do so.
Or have I been un-necessarily courteous all these years?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886903

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:42

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:42
Nup, just looked it up. If it was ever that way, it's not now. "When changing lanes you must give way to any vehicle already in that lane".
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886906

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:52

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:52
Yep, the one in front only has right of way if both lanes are running out. If there's a lane marking you must give way to all traffic in the lane you're moving into. Of course this doesn't mean the drivers should speed up to block someone trying to merge.
FollowupID: 886907

Follow Up By: dirvine - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:44

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:44
My understanding and enforced by a recent court hearing is that putting your indicator is just that.....and indication of your intention to change lanes. If you are already in that lane you have no requirement to give ground and let them in. I have an old 4wd with bars all round and I just drive it and give way to no body. I have had 3 accidents where people have hit me, and then complain that I did not give way. One took me to court and lost as the magistrate explained the above. So beware, if you see a 4wd with lots of front side and rear protection... give it a wide berth and dont try and take it on. Call it road rage or what ever I dont care, but I know I am in the right!.
FollowupID: 886911

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:11

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:11
Interesting Dirvine, especially as for being "in the right". I believe that nowhere in the multitude of legislation or "Road Rules" will you find the term "Right of Way". It is always expressed in the manner of identifying the vehicle which must "Give Way".
Of course, I may be wrong again, or still, or something!!!!!!

You may well consider that if you are "not wrong", you must be "right".

My Father-in-Law used to say..... "He was right, dead right, as he sped along, but he is just as dead as if he was wrong". LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886914

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:54

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:54
Gentlemen,

Now that you have all given your thoughts on who has right of way are you ABSOLUTELY certain your interpretation is valid in all States/Territories of our fair Commonwealth in ALL circumstances ???

Regards

ps I'm definitely not so sure LOL
FollowupID: 886917

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 14:20

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 14:20
hmmmm,

Just remember that with all your vehicles body armour the not so bright body builder than you just forced off the road other than letting him merge has the right to get out of his vehicle at the next set of lights that stops you
and punch you in the side of the head through your closed window, grab you by the hair and leave your face print in your steering wheel cover.

He may regret, it but I bet you will never do it again.

I had nothing to do with it but i did see the recipient the day after he learned some road manners the same way.

Ahhh the good old days.
FollowupID: 886919

Follow Up By: dirvine - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 16:03

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 16:03
I would not need to worry about a body builder, you have not seen me, so I think it might be the other way around. I also did not mention the term "Right of Way". I do not know if what I describe is the same in all States but it is the Law as it stands in Victoria. That is an indicator is only an indication of "intent". There is no requirement that I need to give up my position on a laneway just because a vehicle in another lane puts on their indicator. The only exception is a bus WITH the appropriate signage on the back corners of the bus.
FollowupID: 886924

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 17:37

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 17:37
So let me get this right, dirvine.

A freeway on-ramp with a heavy dotted merge line to the near side lane. You would have people on a freeway on-ramp come to a complete stop if necessary to allow you to proceed in your lane. They would then have to enter the freeway stream from a stop, greatly increasing the risk of a collision.

You would do this rather than backing off a bit and allowing a safe merge at freeway speeds.

Is that correct?

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886929

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 18:17

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 18:17
Well, the idea on an on ramp is for traffic to get to the same speed as the traffic on the main road, pick a gap and merge safely.

If dirvine keeps on truckin' at the posted limit, then they should be able time it in order to slip in front or behind his vehicle. Backing off the power to allow a slightly larger gap or changing lanes to give them more room are also acceptable.

Doing anything else just confuses everybody and is against the road rules.

Clowns on the main road that slam on the anchors to let people in cause as many accidents and disrupt the flow of traffic as much as those that run down the merging lane, then brake heavily.

As to the original issue; Who has ever seen someone on their red P's that did the 80km/h limit?
FollowupID: 886930

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 18:31

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 18:31
Hi guys - not sure if rule is still in vogue now in WA, but I always let someone if they are signalling to move across to my lane and around twenty years ago a workmate of mine reported back to the office one day with his tail down and a ticket for not allowing a motorist to move across from the right lane into the left lane.

He admitted he was not going to let the bugger in.... turned out that 'b' was a cop and he wanted to turn left at the next lights and he just popped a little blue light on top and pulled him over. Seems it was the law then and probably still is.

Also these days it seems the law in WA changed from the leading car having right of way on freeways over entering traffic, but I believe that has reversed now and you have to back off to allow entering traffic in first - slowing the whole process down and defying logic IMHO.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886931

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 19:09

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 19:09
They are called the AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES , but I'm sure there is local variations:
"AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 148

148—Giving way when moving from one marked lane or line of traffic to another marked lane or line of traffic
(1) A driver who is moving from one marked lane (whether or not the lane is ending) to another marked lane must give way to any vehicle travelling in the same direction as the driver in the marked lane to which the driver is moving.
"Marked lane" and "multi-lane road" are defined in the dictionary.
"
http://www9.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdb/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/
FollowupID: 886932

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 20:01

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 20:01
Yes, yes, we all know the rules. My question to dirvine was, given the situation described, how would he apply them. And by extension, how would he expect everyone else to apply them.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886933

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 22:09

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 22:09
Frank, Mr Irvine is an arrogant so-and-so who, one day, will cause a severe accident involving bodily injury, yet still maintain that it was the other bloke's fault for not getting out of his way.

He is a bully who is not worth arguing with.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886936

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 09:22

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 09:22
Allan,
I wasn't chasing an argument. I think he's a troll and was baiting him. There was fun to be had :-)
Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886941

Reply By: Iza B - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:01

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:01
If open class drivers are hitting P Platers up the bum, the problem belongs with the open class drivers. L and P plates are there to tell other drivers that the on-road skills of the driver will likely be in development and well below average.

The OP reminds me of the job ads for a Junior with at least 2 Tickets and 10 years experience.

Tossers arguing that the posted speed limit is the goal speed for everyone should try to understand that not every other driver is as good as they think they are.

Iza
AnswerID: 615816

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:17

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:17
There are reasons to travel slower than the speed limit.

When im not pressed for time I opt for the fuel savings of 5 to 10 km below the limit and sit in the left lane, so much more relaxing than stressing about getting round everyone and worrying about people driving close behind you in the right lane flashing their lights when clearly you are overtaking too. Just set the cruise control and only have to worry about whats in front of you.

FollowupID: 886897

Reply By: 76lifted - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:21

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:21
i would like to mention that the problem lies in education. if a person live with a slow driver and is taught to fear driving they will ultimately be a slow right hand lane hog. not tooting my own horn but as an L-Plater and on friday a P-Plater, and my parents have taught me not to fear driving and to not hog the right hand lane unless overtaking. not to be egotistical but i have done 50 hours of country driving and have been properly educated as to how to overtake and keep to the speed limit whereas i have been with many of my classmates and they fear driving and this includes people on their P's and they sit in the right hand lane doing 5 kms under and dont keep left in overtaking lanes in short doing all the things i curse some drivers for.
in short the fear that is created around driving and the inumerable ads suggesting speed kille need to be stopped because saying speed kills is far to great of a blanket term. having traveled to germany and seen the autobahn in action. everyone moves out the way when faster cars come but in AUS we just try to educate them as to how speed kills and make them slow down to under the limit. welcome to the nanny country folks.

Not P-Plates but rather scared drivers are the problem i know plenty of people who think nothing of sitting in the right hand lane doing under the limit and only rant about how speed kills and me suggesting they do the limit send them into a lecture state.

not to mention at school we just had an independent driver safety educator and 90 percent of the whole course relates to speed. and how 5kmh is the end of the world and does not focus on other issues such as drink driving

Rant over

cheers jed
AnswerID: 615818

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 15:01

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 15:01
You will become wiser as you age.

print this off and read it after you have been driving for 50 years, some of it is right, some of it so wrong.

I was brought up in an isolated desert town where my father owned a towing business before there was a national open speed limit and saw some horrific things.

Your right speed doesn't kill, it is the series of events coming to a stop that can really cut you up. You should understand that the faster you are travelling the closer you are to death if fate chooses to stop you.

The people that are preaching to us are the people that have repeatedly seen the same needless loss of lives, you should be thanking them.
FollowupID: 886921

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 17:49

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 17:49
Young fella, good to see you have an opinion and time maybe alter your thoughts on the subject.

On the speeding, the fella on a motorbike that went under my trailer with fatal results many years ago, could you explain to the parents, friends, myself and family your take on speeding.

If you look at the distance for a vehicle to stop in an emergency you may see why they limit speeds so much in high density areas where shit can happen very unexpectedly.

Yep agree with the right hand lane but don't agree with people who choose to travel at reduced speed for what ever reason.

Patience is the most wonderful virtue to have on the road.
FollowupID: 886970

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 18:46

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 18:46
Jed, You are right.... the problem does "lie in education". Let me offer you some.

It is simple physics.... 'The energy of a moving vehicle increases with the square of its velocity'. That means that if you increase your speed from 100km/h to 140km/h the kinetic energy of the vehicle has been doubled. Not a huge speed increase, yet your braking distance has been doubled. Your vehicle manoeuvrability has been significantly diminished and most of all, the energy dissipated if you have a collision is DOUBLED.

Don't be so sure that you have all the answers. The police and road engineers not only know the physics, they have the benefit of observing and analysing the outcomes of accidents. And they have been at it for many more years than you have even lived.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886974

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 18:55

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 18:55
i would like to mention that i have no problem with slowing down in built up areas but when you have 100 plus kms to travel and are time bound the people who are being painfully slow and blocking the way add up and cause headaches im sure you would agree also i have no problem with people doing the limit or under the limit and i realise they are there for a good reason however 110 for 4 hrs on roads that are almost autobahn quality is a waste of good roads 50 and 60 through built up areas i am in full support of.
i also realise that some cars cannot travel at high speeds but there would be very very few cars that cannot travel atleast 120.
cleared up ?

also let me ask this

how come the death toll on the autobahn is so low when 260 is a regular speed for many drivers ?
humans dont suddenly drive into poles and other cars simply because the speed is higher we are hardwired for survival......most anyway..

alan let me ask this what differs between our engineers and the german ones ? maybe the language ?

i will say one more thing. At 260 even the passengers are awake and alert and by awake and alert i mean it....
FollowupID: 886975

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 19:33

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 19:33
...."roads that are almost autobahn quality"..... in Australia?
Yeah, right.... Glad that's cleared up.
One day you may look back and say.. "Could I have been that stupid?"

By the way Jed, I have a spare "Shift" key if you would like it? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886978

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 19:39

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 19:39
excuse me i dont speak for the sunshine coast and i have been there and i agree the roads are abysmal however should you come to perth try out the great northern highway.
FollowupID: 886979

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 19:52

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 19:52
further to my previous post
have you ever been on an autobahn ?
if not how can you speak as to how they are ?
FollowupID: 886980

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 20:30

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 20:30
I've been on an autobahn many times and I can tell you I'd hate to have drivers with Australian attitudes sharing one with me. Another thing, speeds up around 200kph are beyond the capabilities of many people in my opinion, things happen too quickly, it gets a bit scary. I think that most drivers' comfort zone caps out at around 130kph. Perhaps that's why a many German autobahns do have a 130kph speed limit. The motorways in the rest of Europe all have a 130kph limit as well, some a bit lower. Most modern cars of reasonable power have to be really pushed to get past 130kph. Before that speed they have to be continually held back a lot of the time. I also think that a lot of our multi lane expressways are equal in quality to anything in Europe, it's only the driving attitude that is different. That's my opinion anyway.
FollowupID: 886985

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 22:45

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 22:45
Be patient young Jed !!

In another 40 years or so, you will, with a bit of bad luck, end up with the same attitude problem that so many senior members on here currently have - and you will then be able to join the " I'm right, you're wrong club "

It just takes time, it just takes time !

All the best young fella and I'm sure you are a better driver than some think !

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 886987

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 00:42

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 00:42
Michael i agree that 260 is beyond most people and cars abilities however there are cars that make those kind of speeds viable and somewhat safe......as safe as 260 can be... a family member owns a car called a gl63 AMG it is the kind of vehicle that is capable of doing 260 and is infact limited by the manufacturer at 257 why ? because all the manufacturers have decided that that is the maximum people should be able to drive on the autobahn. however it is an example of modern technology making a dangerous speed much safer. we hired one in Germany to see its full potential and it is very stable at 230 and gets a tad hairy at 260 according to the authority on all things motoring (my dad) :) i am however quite sure most of our roads are not able to be driven at 260 maybe with the exception of the great northern highway.

but 130 is definitely a viable speed change for most roads in WA anyway i reckon even the vdj76 boat could manage it safely with a 4inch lift and 35s

correct me if im wrong but i believe the germans were called into study the road toll and they recommended the limit to be 130 to reduce people crashing due to them becoming fatigued due to sheer boredom

thanks Gazz

i reckon i might have early onset im right your wrong ;) ..... they reckon patience is a virtue so maybe doing 95 in a 100 will do me good. :) i do agree though if i was a little older and maybe not mentioned the driving stage it which i am the response would have been more calculated as opposed to the angry knee jerk reaction given to a differing point of veiw. :)
or maybe i just have an attitude problem of my own :)
FollowupID: 886989

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:23

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:23
One thing is for sure, what's in place now appears to be tragically not working !!
The 2017 and especially Christmas road toll is just dismal.

I'm afraid though that this road toll issue and bad regular driving we see on the roads can't be addressed by road rules or legal systems, it is far more deep seated in changes in our social and moral fibres . . . much of todays issues stem from a society born from 2 dubious parents left wing political correctness and poor social policy.

No increase in fines, or penalties applied, will stop this.
Just be careful out there.
AnswerID: 615819

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:29

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:29
This fella has solved the perceived problem.

Link-P plater problem solving

Axle? are you bored now the test cricket is over.
AnswerID: 615820

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:34

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:34
Whilst agreeing with the majority of posters here, it has occurred to me that many of us are sounding like our parents at our age.

Both good and bad in that, I think.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 615822

Follow Up By: William P - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:35

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 13:35
Well this is the "Silly Old Farts" forum - what do you expect.:-)
FollowupID: 886916

Reply By: Keith B2 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:42

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:42
My wife and I are just seeing the younger of our two teenage daughters through her 120 hours on L plates with a manual car. We didn't let them go on a motorway until they had 60 hours up.

What has amazed me is the discourtesy that they both have copped from other drivers. Even sitting on the limit in an 80 kph zone for example, so many "experienced" drivers see the L plate and simply have to overtake. And cutting off L platers in traffic seems to be par for the course. I suspect that some of this angst might also be directed to P platers.

It's a rotten example for youngsters learning to drive.
AnswerID: 615823

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:48

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:48
Can I enter a plea, have her taught how to handle a car in an emergency situation. Otherwise the first time she has to control the car under emergency braking of in a 4 wheel slide will be when her life depends on it!
FollowupID: 886912

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:09

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:09
We had P plates back in the 70's, my older brother drove under P plates for his first year driving.

BUT ... nationwide they where abandoned as a bad idea and unhelpful ... only to be reintroduced on sterroids.

As for P platers having different speed limits to the rest of the population ..utterly rediculous.

A few years ago NSW had an 80KMH speed limit for light vehicles towing trailers ..... that too was abandoned as being unhelpful and rediculous.

We live in a time when we talk about equality and oppose discrimination & persecution, yet the legeslators seem to think equality and fairness does not belong on the road and persecution is fine

How about the government promotes good driving habbits and publicises road rules and changes ...... but there is no money to be made from that

cheers
AnswerID: 615828

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 01:25

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 01:25
Heavy vehicles had a 90 k speed limit but was lifted to 100k because it was deemed dangerous because of the different speed on open roads between cars & trucks
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 887014

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:13

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:13
I'm looking at this from my own progress through the yellow terrors and red priority P's

we had no log book back then, maximum speed allowed 72kmph on L plates you kept to left hand lane unless turning right. no way would you be allowed on a freeway SIMPLE AS THAT

P plates was maximum of 80kmph plenty of priority P platers got done for speeding lost their licences by various misdemeanors. I didn't.

I still shudder at the idea of a 16 yo being in control of a 2,5 tonne 4wd due to mass height and physics - but flip-side if they understand how heavy they are how long takes to stop then hopefully this makes them better driver in long run.

the part that really pisses me off and i seen it few times I am cruising at 100-105 come across a L plater go to overtake safely what do they do put boot into it leaving me on wrong side of road with another car now behind me with a on coming vehcile which has just appeared around the bend ahead.

Carry on for another 1/2 3/4 hr guess what catch up with same L plater stuck right up arse of a 4wd towing caravan doing 80-90ish. Overtook car caravan & 4wd in one go all safely at 110 back into left side of road never to see that damn L plater again
AnswerID: 615829

Reply By: Bob R4 - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:09

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:09
Axle,

I think we all enjoy your thought provoking, and sometimes just plain provoking posts.
On todays subject, I think all we need to do is drive our own vehicles properly and safely, and all else should take care of itself.

Cheers to all for 2018.
AnswerID: 615832

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 14:24

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 14:24
I would like to see a ban on L platers on major freeways or dual carriageways during double demerit times ( ie; the busiest times ).

If the parents think it is the best time to get their hours up, then they are not spending enough time with them at "other" times.

I know it won't happen, so no need to even mention P platers !!

A few still believe it is their right to do any speed they like, but the whole system flows a heap better if everyone stays at or near the speed limit.......and someone actually said some may not be confident at sitting on a 110 K speed limit ??? In that case, either the car or the driver probably shouldn't be on the road at all ??
AnswerID: 615837

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 16:18

Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 at 16:18
It might be summer but the Broken Hill snowball rolls once more eh?
Last chance this year Axle.
AnswerID: 615838

Reply By: AlanTH - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 09:54

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 09:54
I suppose it's hoping for too much in the NY that all drivers start looking ahead past the boot of the car in directly in front and planning their driving accordingly? How can someone "suddenly" come up behind some one doing less than the max. speed especially on a freeway?
Why aren't they actually paying attention to what's really going on around them including up front?
On the open hwy when towing we travel at around 95kph which should give plenty of kays more for other drivers to safely overtake and move back to the left hand side of the road. But constantly, non towing vehicles especially, race right up behind us then wander in and out "for a look" then get stuck right behind us so close they can't be seen.... then show absolutely no competence when they eventually make an overtaking attempt.
For road trains I'll pull as far to the left as I can but for the average dick head I'll just keep at a steady speed and watch their antics.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 615846

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 11:44

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 11:44
Who was taught as a young driver to never let our eyes stay in one place for more than a couple of seconds ?
I think this was one of the best pieces of learning I received for driving.

Scanning the road and verges ahead for vehicles, animals, etc, mirrors for vehicles coming up behind, and at the sides with mirrors set correctly out sideways, your dash instruments also briefly from time to time . . . know what is happening all around you, and with your vehicle, at all times.

Safe 2018 out there to all.
FollowupID: 886949

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 11:55

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 11:55
Yes Les, One of the things my father would do when teaching me driving was to place his hand over the rearview mirror and ask me to describe what was behind us. The awareness has lasted. I too constantly scan, cannot imagine driving any other way.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 886951

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 12:28

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 at 12:28
They still do that nowadays.......look at the road then look at your phone then look at the road again
FollowupID: 886953

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:12

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:12
"your dash instruments also briefly from time to time . . . ." The way policing is done here in WA with the emphasis mostly on any slight infraction of the speed limits, means a lot of drivers spend more time than is safe checking the speedo just in case.
Between checking speed and the phone they haven't time for much more......
I was also taught to watch the idiot driving the other car but with dark tint quite often you can hardly see them. But it seems they were mostly not taught the same thing because when I'm giving way to allow others to join a stream of traffic, or cross it to enter a joining road, they sit there absolutely oblivious to what's happening!
No wonder so many can't be bothered showing a bit of courtesy to other road users.
HNY to everyone and good luck on avoiding the morons..:)
AlanTH.

FollowupID: 886995

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:20
Agree Alan re the low tolerance speed enforcement and speedo checks with many.
Most experienced drivers know they are about right, within a small bracket of speed, but I'd say for sure people are looking at the dash too much now, worried about hip pocket pain . . .

It'd be interesting to relate rear end metro collisions to drop in speed detection tolerances, but likely this would not be tracked, or GOVCO would release anything too damning.

Ha yeah, I often slow and flash lights to say go on, squeeze in there, but you slow, end up leaving a huge gap, and find them not even looking your way.

Ah well, you can only try.

Happy new year.
FollowupID: 886996

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:25

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:25
Honestly, I don't think that a lot of drivers take into account the effect of what they want to do has on other road users, they are only interested in what they want to do. Simple things like veering out to the centre across two lanes and slowing to a crawl so they can turn left into a driveway. It's like they are driving a semi trailer or something, I see it quite often. Another is the driver who changes into the centre lane 3 kms early and slows because they are going to turn right....eventually. What about the ones who see a parking spot is going to become available and pull up blocking a whole lane even though the other driver hasn't even got in the car yet? The classic is the guy who does 90 until the overtaking lane and then floors it to 120 until the lane ends.
Tell me you all haven't met these people :-)
FollowupID: 886997

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:30

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:30
"Tell me you all haven't met these people :-)"
Every day, Michael, every day :/
All you can do is grin and bear it, maybe count to 10 helps avoid stress :)
FollowupID: 886999

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 11:09

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 11:09
Following the road rules, with "one-eye" on common sense (yes, yes, not all too common) is key to road safety.

But one of the major problems these days is that it is all about "me". Many seemingly expect you to run to their timetable, especially when on the roads.

Roads are crowded these days, there are drivers of all levels of experience, and vehicles of all different shapes, sizes, and level of roadworthiness.

Rather than "intimidating" other drivers to drive to your requirements perhaps it is better that impatient drivers allow more time to arrive at a destination, especially in peak periods.

And on running up the back of someone on a major highway because they are going to slow...

I suggest anyone who suffers this problem take this action;

Have eyes tested, and if still a problem, hand licence in...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 615871

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 12:06

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 12:06

Baz, that is the one post in this Thread that I can totally agree with.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887001

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 14:19

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 14:19
Can't believe the number of supposedly experienced drivers who whinge about having to constantly monitor their speed. Fair dinkum.

Regards
FollowupID: 887004

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 17:09

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 17:09
Yep , totally agree with the last 3 comments and a bit worried about some of the others earlier ones .

Cheers
FollowupID: 887009

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 19:33

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2018 at 19:33
There's a difference between constantly monitoring your speed and being so paranoid about it you slow up while overtaking or even worse (in my opinion) is take your foot off as soon as you're past a vehicle.
"The laws the law" an ex so called "road safety commissioner" in WA used to parrot every time someone raised the question of police tactics including where a vehicle may exceed the limit by a bit to safely overtake.
How totally stupid is that? Stay out in the right hand lane for longer instead of using a bit more speed to get past safely before returning to the left.
But there ya go, no amount of talking about how it should be done and is in many countries with far better death rates than ours, will make any difference when idiots like the above bloke are dictating how they say it should be done "because it's the law"!
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 887010

Reply By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 07:19

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 07:19
Thanks for this thread, I was not even aware of these P- and L-plates. Good to know about them, since in a few months I will be doing a lot of driving around Oz. :)

Were these P- and L- plates in use back in 2008? I don't remember seeing them during my visit then.
AnswerID: 615884

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 09:16

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 09:16
Yes, they were.

In NSW,
L - max 80 kph
Red P - max 80kph
Green P - max 100kph

I think other states are the same, but not sure
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887017

Follow Up By: William P - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 10:36

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 10:36
Red is 90 kph not 80kph

L is 90 kph not 80kph

You gotta love forums - most of the information put up is wrong.
FollowupID: 887019

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 14:55

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 14:55
William .
To be fair most of the info on this forum is good .
There are some really good contributors , and some very ordinary ones .
Like you I shake my head at some of the stuff written .

Cheers
FollowupID: 887026

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 15:30

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 15:30
Apologies Candace, the limits were changed in 2013, some considerable time after my kids were finished with them :-).

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887029

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 16:11
Sometimes I think people post miss information just to give other people something to do :).
Dave.
FollowupID: 887030

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 16:40
Queensland:
Learners: posted limit.
P1 (red P's) and P2 (green P's): Posted limit
FollowupID: 887032

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 17:07

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 17:07
"Sometimes I think people post miss information just to give other people something to do :).
Dave."
Yeah, mate. Just seeing who was paying attention. LOL
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887033

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 16:27

Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 16:27
National roads rules apply, BUT always refer to "local and state" regulations first.

Back when I was doing my yellow L terrors & red P

L maximum 72kmph regardless of road -EXCEPT not allowed on freeway
P maximum of 80kmph regardless of higher set limit

All changed number years ago two stages of P allowed on freeway with L plates and up to state speed limit

One thing that hasn't changed is towing limit in WA regardless of 6x4 or multi combo 100 regardless of size - unless heavy vehicle speed limit in place.

They still don't teach them how to drive around heavy vehicles -yesterday had red p plater overtake pocket train (semi 2 x trailer 1 x dolly between trailers within 27.5m length) soon as she passed straight into left lane truckie immediately braked hard how back dog didn't lock up swing right into my lane beyond me
FollowupID: 887043

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 16:37

Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 16:37
Hi Dean,

One cause of overtaking vehicles resuming left lane too soon is the advent of the wide-angle exterior mirrors which give the impression of greater-than-actual distances.
Now, everyone should be aware of this but may forget it or never even knew it.
Not saying that it was the case in your instance, but it may have been.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887045

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 20:13

Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 20:13
Allan,

You have hit nail on head, however i still feel this comes down to EDUCATION of the new driver by the authorized instructor.

going back to day when I was on L plates only needed a instructor along side who had 5 years post P plates behind them, typically it would be your parents and in one instance was my Uncle. parents felt I was competent enough to pass the practical test appears I only JUST scraped in due to a few minor discrepancies, it was also known assessor was a tough one as well

Today however, instructor must be a authorized instructor must have a endorsement the L plater must have a log book which is filled in by instructor indicating they have driven in various conditions and pass a hazards perception test.

so overall a P plater of today should in fact have more skills than I or other of my age had when we went for our practical.

The use of wide angle lenses would (should) be addressed by the instructor and so far all mirrors I have seen with wide angle have etched into them a warning clearly stating objects in mirror will appear further back than they actually are (or to that effect) - and more vehicles also have lane departure warning and blind spot proximity alarms (another annoying flipper going of his nuts sound I don't need)
FollowupID: 887046

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 21:15

Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 21:15
Ahhh Dean, a very different world when I first got my licence the day after I turned sixteen.
No 'practical', just a written test, mostly about how far to park from a corner or fire hydrant (anybody know today?) I still don't know what a "hazards perception test" is.
Back then, the biggest thrill was not speed (those cars couldn't) but whether the car would get us back home following a Sunday outing. I kid you not!..... Mostly it did, but not always!

No 'L' plates, no 'P' plates, no learner's permit..... here's the keys, go for it. Just "take it easy" and "be sensible"... there's a good lad. No-one ever had an accident. Put a foot wrong and the Copper would give you a lecture and maybe threaten to tell your Dad.

The cars? Well first an Austin 7, then a 1927 Capitol Chev. My mate had a model 'A' Ford buckboard. Couldn't get into much trouble with them. Especially as the Austin 7 didn't have a back-seat. lol

"Skills"? Well, I'm still alive, aren't I? And I haven't hurt anyone else.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887051

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 16:27

Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 16:27
Indeed Allan
My 16th birthday was a Sunday. So I went in to Motor Reg on the Friday (18th), passed the written test and was given my driving licence dated the 18th with the request that I didn't drive until Sunday. Those were the days LOL
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 887134

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 16:40

Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 16:40
Yes Andrew, it got even more "indeed" a few years later when I went from SA to Vic for work. Went into Werribee police station to obtain a Vic driver's licence. The officer looked out of the window at my car and asked if it was auto. I said "yep". He asked if I could drive a manual and I said "yep"...... "Here's your licence son."
As you say, "Those were the days". Ahhh.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887135

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 16:56

Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 16:56
Axle, there is another aspect to the 'P' plate system.
Some years ago (1960's?) there was talk of raising the minimum driving age from 16 years to 17 or 18 years. The Police Doctor of the time (SA or Vic, I can't remember) opposed the age raise. His view was that at age 16, youths were still amenable to instruction and respect for the law, whereas by 17 or 18 they were beginning to believe that "they knew it all". He considered that the year of driving before age 17 gave them more experience whilst they were still in the compliant stage. I could see the logic of that view.

For whatever reason, the proposal to elevate the age did not proceed at that time.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 615951

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 18:14

Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 18:14
In nsw in the 70's it was 17 years for a drivers licence. You could get your L's at 16 years 9 months. I got my licence on my 17th bithday by driving a local copper around the block, I didn't even have to reverse park or pass any sort of written test. He asked me a few questions about road rules on the ride around the block. I"ve done around 100k a year for nearly 50 years with no accidents and one speeding fine in the first year, so I tend to wonder sbout the value of all the extra regulation in place these days. Then I look at the road toll statistics and see they are a lot lower now than they were then so maybe it's a good thing?
FollowupID: 887138

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 08:30

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 08:30
Hi Allan, Its a situation now that is hard to work out with the younger generation on the roads. The driving courses they do trundling around town in my view is no where near good enough to obtain a license no matter how many hrs they do.

Its out on the open roads or freeways where things have to be looked at i feel.

Can't tar them all with the one brush i know, but only yesterday we witnessed a young female p plater that passed a semi in a 80k zone ,then pulled straight in front of him and braked, for no apparent reason!, The truckie locked everything up to avoid running up the rear of her and to his credit avoided another serious accident. my grandkids are both on Ps , one is good but nervous on the road, the other (Boy) 20yr old is a brilliant driver in anything! ....But knows everything!, way to fast, and takes no notice of anyone , lost his license in the first two mths he had it. Back on the road now but to get this know it all attitude out of him is going to take some doing , i can tell you! I just Pray he comes out of it with no serious outcome,....and i'm sure theres more out there just like him!.

Its a Big problem that only serious measures with the license system is going to slow it all up i feel
Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 887151

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:10

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:10
Hi Axle

A couple of points…

Relating to the issue of vehicles overtaking and then pulling back in front of the car or truck they’ve passed without leaving sufficient distance.

One of the causes of this I suspect is that on freeways you have multiple cars all lined up in the far right lane overtaking, but not allowing sufficient distance between each vehicle. Regularly, my experience is a vehicle will be right behind you “intimidating” you to move back to the left as soon as you’ve passed the vehicle, but without allowing sufficient distance to do so safely. Now many of us will be too wise to allow the following vehicle to intimidate" us, but couple this with inexperienced drivers and the problem is created.

And on your Grandson and his attitude, whilst I too hope for his sake the attitude you describe changes favourably, it isn’t the role of the licensing system to do that. Or are you advocating we do an attitude test before we hand out learner’s permits?

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 887153

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 16:39

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 16:39
Hi Baz,....I realize what your saying, but what we witnessed was not that,this driver had only us behind and we where two car lenghts back, what she did was plain crazy, ...... and maybe a attitude test along the line somewhere might not be such a bad thing,...Ever been down to a hangout joint with the young fellas and their old hotties....lol

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 887165

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 16:54

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 16:54
"Ever been down to a hangout joint with the young fellas and their old hotties....lol"

Hi Axle, I'm hearing you, but I did chuckle and think to myself that the young fellas and their old hotties might be thinking an attitude test for the oldies entering the EO forum might not be a bad thing from time to time.

All the best out there, and without doubt you created a lot of interest and discussion with this topic - long may you continue to post them...!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 887166

Sponsored Links