Grampians Area Camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:21
ThreadID: 13624 Views:3257 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are going up to the Grampians this weekend.

Does anyone have a good tip for a secluded camping spot? We have 3 vehicles & 2 camper trailers going (plus any OE'er who want to join us). Will need a good camp fire so access to wood is a must. We don't mind not camping in the park.

Any tip / suggestions greatfully accepted.

Gaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 19:56
I think it's a good idea to take yur own firewood whenever possible so give it some thought to help the local areas.
AnswerID: 62492

Follow Up By: GaryW - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:51

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:51
Appreciate the reasons why you make that comment Ray. However cleaning up the bush fire fuel is also very helpful to the park. You are allowed to collect wood at the Grampians - just no chains saws allowed.
FollowupID: 323874

Follow Up By: Member - Graham T (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:35

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:35
Try the Copper Mine Track from the Mount Zero Road. Our son took us there two years ago, some fantastic bush sites and walking tracks to the old copper mine sites. We met a park ranger there at the time, he told us that "we hide the sites so as to disuade campers" but if you respect the area and leave nothing but footprints your'e welcome. Sorry, can't give you a GPS reference, some toe-rag pinched it last month.
FollowupID: 323956

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:47
Numerous camp areas but they charge you to camp.. head into town and ask them there.
AnswerID: 62502

Follow Up By: GLD - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:20

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:20
Lake Fyans Caravan Park is not secluded but you can have a camp fire in the tent section (you can buy wood there), it is about 15 minutes from Halls Gap just off the Stawell/Halls Gap Road - great covered barbecue area, beside a lake that has trout, very scenic and well- equipped spot.

Some of the NP camping areas are nice - I liked the one on Glenelg River Road (Boreang Campground) - it would hold about a dozen camps and had a new composting toilet when we were there a couple of years ago, there was tank water and a couple of tables and I thought it was one of the nicest np camps that we came across.

Grampians Np visitors centre at Halls Gap 03 5356 4381

I suggest you take your own wood to the np camps.

Have fun!
FollowupID: 323806

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:33
pretty sure you have to take your own wood anyway?

have you seen roses gap? no pun

try the black range nearby or thew rocklands resevoir camping park/grounds less people more room and an easy drive to anywhere especially as this is a busy weekend over there.

just looking at my old map borough huts may be quieter up that end or jimmy creek both still open i think.
try the web
i have some great shots of the old homestead we walked around when lake bellfield was emptied for wall repairs too.

have a good weekend there
AnswerID: 62507

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 23:36

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 23:36
Stayed overnight at Jimmy's Creek last year and found it very nice with good bush walks available. Fees are over the top - honesty system was closed as somebody was helping them selves all over the park including main visitors centre but we paid anyway (Bugger).
Visitors Centre should be able to point you in the right direction. Take your own wood as it will burn better than anything you can find.

Cheers
Bob L
AnswerID: 62554

Reply By: rolande- Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:49

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:49
Gaz,
Have you tried forum search, I'm sure I have seen posts before, may help you
Rolande
AnswerID: 62577

Follow Up By: GaryW - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:52

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:52
I checked the archives - wasn't much - Thought an update would be useful to others also.
FollowupID: 323875

Reply By: Julian - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:42

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:42
Gday Gary

Australia Day weekend we had a wonderful trip in the Grampians. To avoid the crowds we camped at the site at Mount Langi Ghirran which is a few kms East of Ararat, just off the Western Hwy. We " commuted" each day to the mountains and found it very convenient and a great way to avoid crowded campsites on long weekends. The site has excellent pit toilets and a water tap, and was almost empty over that weekend. Also we discovered that the track signposted to the reservoir, actually goes for many kms past it and is quite fun with steep bits (mainly rocky) but not too difficult.

Have fun

Julian
AnswerID: 62641

Sponsored Links