Perth to Broome must do stops

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 18, 2018 at 19:40
ThreadID: 136289 Views:3747 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
looking at travelling Perth to Broome and back later on in the year and want to know, what were your must see spots, how long did you take etc.

Planning on doing the trip in a dual cab ute with 2 kids, not in a particular rush either way, just want to know what youd say to look at along the way? Where did you stay over night etc?

Cheers
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Feb 18, 2018 at 20:05

Sunday, Feb 18, 2018 at 20:05
How long do you have? How off-road do you want to go? How adventurous are you?
Some places we thought were super special when we went that way last year (3 kids, Prado & Tvan).
- western side of the Kennedy Ranges then over the top to the eastern side
- Steep Point (so you can say you've been to the most westerly point on the mainland - also nice cliffs and beaches)
- Ningaloo Reef
- Karinjini NP
- Karlamilyi / Rudall River NP (across from Newman, up through the middle then across to Marble Bar)

The western side/top of the Kennedy Ranges & Karlamilyi are pretty remote.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617030

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 18, 2018 at 23:33

Sunday, Feb 18, 2018 at 23:33
One way on the North West Coastal Highway and the other on the Great Northern Highway.

Camping? What time of year? If too late sightseeing will be very hot, and walks in places like Karijini very taxing.

What are the ages and interests of your children?

Lots of places to stop overnight heading through the inland route. Not so easy on the coastal route.

Random and not including all the best spots, but those that have come to mind.

Karijini foremost, so long as your children are old enough for climbs up down into and up out of the gorges. From Karijini, you can drive most of the way to the highest point in Western Australia, Mount Meharry. Permission needed.

Take the Mount Whaleback tour at Newman.

Millstream is worth detouring from the coastal route (a newer sealed road from Karratha).

Along the coast;Kalbarri, Shark Bay and Monkey Mia. The Stromatolites and the Hamelin Pool Old Telegraph Station Museum which was a real surprise.

Exmouth and the Ningaloo Coast. Can swim with Whale Sharks seasonally from Exmouth or take a glass bottomed boat on the reef from Coral Bay.

Go to Mount Augustus, probably best from the Coastal Highway; you can do a loop via the Kennedy Ranges from Carnarvon, and north of the Exmouth turnoff for variety.

Go to Marble Bar and go out to the old Comet Mine, where your children will learn all about gold mining and processing (if old enough to appreciate it). Travel the Boreline Road between Marble Bar and the Great Northern Highway (between Pardoo and Sandfire). This is a lovely drive and a variation from the Great Northern Highway, which you have to do in both directions.

Heaps more.

Time? As long as you like. We used to take five week holidays (annual leave plus a few spare days and weekends either end) and got to Exmouth twice, seeing different things each time. Then to get to Karijini which we had never made it to before, a quicker trip via the Great Northern Highway.

A bit more about your children, your camping capability, and time of year, and you will get more specific answers that may suit you.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617033

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 16:32

Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 16:32
And if taking the Marble Bar optional route don't miss turning off at Nullagine and doing the Skull Springs Rd to Carawine Gorge. A beautiful drive and the gorge is a fantastic spot to kick back for a few days, wet a line, have a paddle or dip. As MH says the Boreline Rd out to the Grt Northern Hwy which is a fantastic drive through beautiful rolling hills and ranges and then on to 80 Mile Beach, Barn Hill and then Broome.

Come home via the coast if that's your thing.

Enjoy the trip.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888505

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 01:53

Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 01:53
Steve

I suggest you do your own research and put together a rough outline of your trip. Destinations, timing, preferences(coast, fishing, bush camping, historical, rivers, gorges, hiking) etc etc.

Once done come back to EO and ask what else you could do.

MH has given you some good information to start. However in my view your question is far too general. You could spend 2-3 months in the Pilbara alone depending on your interests.

Look forward to giving you some ideas when you supply a bit more information.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 617036

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 17:47

Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 17:47
Top shelf outback/regional touring on that trip for sure ! Highlights for me ? (we are into the 'natural environment' of places we travel to).....
Kalbarri was good....went trekking in the Nat Pk.
Shark Bay area.....we stayed at Hamelin Pool for a couple of nights and day toured up to Denham (but refused to pay $millions to see dolphins at MM :-). There are so many shells on the beach at Hamelin, they used them for building blocks in the pioneer days.
Exmouth area....I was blown away by the Ningaloo Reef via Exmouth (we stayed at Yardie Homestead and daytoured into the Nat Pk)....been there for several visits....will be going again ! The fish in shallow water along the inner edge of the reef are wonderful.....even better on the outside of the reef - take snorkel, mask and flippers). Worth seeing the Harold Holt communications base too....massive.
Iron Ore Ports area.....I enjoyed seeing all the huge hardware, ships and trains associated with the iron ore exports at the various ports (Karratha, Dampier, Hedland)...the latter has Marrapikurinya Park on the foreshore for visitors....ships berth and pass by close to the edge of that park.
On the return leg, maybe consider Marble Bar*, Newman, Tom Price area etc......worth seeing the mine activity.....the various visitor centres will advise about mine tours on offer.
*holder of the Oz heat wave record (not highest temp. but....that is Oodnadatta). You can legally noodle a bit of the Marble (jasper in fact) at the bar, on the outskirts of town.
Have a good one........
AnswerID: 617049

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:29

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:29
Not sure what later this year mrans - just wouldn't bother doing it right now. Boat helo is only way to access many parts of the kimberly right now.

One thing i'd suggest you take is a port-a-potti. Many places now require 'self sufficent' and trying to find suitable digging spots as done in past isn't easy. Most towns will have a dump point as do some Main roads 24 hr rest stops -note according to Main roads campign isn't permitted at these places, so read into that much as you like.

Bilyn pool 70 odd kms north of meeka isn't bad spot for a over night or 2 night stay. cattle does roam free in area (unless de stocked) so need to ensure kids aware they are wild animals and never get too close to them.
AnswerID: 617062

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:28

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:28
Hi Steve,
I would agree with all the recommendations in posts so far but would like to add a station stay. Hamelin Station is just fantastic. It is a Bush Heritage property now and although there is now power hookups for caravans or campertrailers, or there wasn't when we visited in 2013, the facilities are fabulous.Camp kitchen is brilliant, the caravan/campertrailer sites are covered with the shells that are found at the nearby beaches. It also has a Telstra micro hotspot. Thoroughly recommended. We used it as a base to visit Steep Point, however it is a very fully day's travel. You need to leave at sunrise and you get back at sunset. Nevertheless you do get to have a good look around the Steep Point area. With respect to Steep Point I would highly recommend a sand flag. Tracks are narrow and surrounded by tall bushes making you very invisible to other traffic. We used our sand flag and although we could not see oncoming traffic they could see us.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617079

Sponsored Links