Painted Desert Road - Options

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 20:46
ThreadID: 136432 Views:3391 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested to hear some ideas on visiting the Painted Desert.

We have a Prado D4D towing a Kimberley Karavan (2.1t).

Our current plan is to visit Northern Flinders then on to Maree and Oodnadatta track. We attempted this in May 2016 but the rain defeated us. This time we will be in the area in mid-late April.

Option 1. Maree - William Creek - Cooper Pedy and then a day trip ( not towing) through the Painted Desert.

Option 2. Maree - Oodnadatta- Painted Desert - Cooper Pedy.Bush camp somewhere in Painted Desert.

We have never been to this area so we have no idea ( apart from web searches) on what to expect. eg: anything of substance to see between William Creek and Oodnadatta.

We are fully self sufficient for many days. Have Satphone, EPIRB, spares, tools etc. Getting to these locations when we are based in Perth, creates a big distance overhead, so we really try hard to pack in the sites when we travel. In general we can’t be away from WA for more then 3 months at a time. Currently in Tasmania enjoying the weather(jeez the b....y wind).

Look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 21:06

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 21:06
Hi John,

We did it with a 2007 D4D Prado and Karavan. Easy as. Bush camped on a creek about 15km east of Arkaringa HS. Checked out camping at the HS but their camp area was like a rubbish dum so we backtracked to the campsite we had sussed out on the way through.

It's a drive well worth doing. Give yourself a sunrise and a sunset.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617646

Reply By: Member - John D46 - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:33

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:33
Hi John
We visited last year but went in and out from Oodnadatta so can't speak for the William Creek side. No problems. We stayed at the homestead campsite, it wasn't a dump. Very friendly folks and a particularly friendly son who welcomed everyone. They ask you not to camp on their property elsewhere, we respected that and like to support the station folks. Definitely stay two nights to have a whole day there, explore the Painted Desert and go out to the viewing spot for sunset with a glass and nibbles!
AnswerID: 617651

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:46
Good news. It must have changed - new management maybe. The offered station campsite was not at all pleasant at the time we were there.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889356

Reply By: Ozi M - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:50

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 22:50
Not sure what is available for camping but try very hard to see either sunrise or sun set, both would be best.

It is a bit like the Flinders, the sun on the angle makes all the difference to the colours.

Roads are no worry as long as it is dry
AnswerID: 617652

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:57

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:57
Hi John, others have given advice on what to see in the painted desert, we have been through here and it is quite spectacular. Between William Creek & Oodnadatta you the a few of the old Ghan Railway sites to look at. There is also the run out to Lake Eyre and the campground at Halligans bay.Algebuckina Bridge over tthe Neale River is a great spot to camp.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617670

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 07:14

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 07:14
Macca,

Are you aware of the Algebuckina Waterhole Campground directly opposite the Bridge, on the other side of the track?

Much better than the Bridge campsite.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 889431

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 07:46

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 07:46
Hi Bill, yes was aware of the other campsite, although we haven’t used it.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889432

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 08:27

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 08:27
John,
we were at the painted desert in may 2016 and stayed at the Arckaringa homestead. The campground and facilities were clean and tidy and it is only about 15 to 20 mins from the homestead to the painted desert, so you can catch dawn and sunset easily.
Roads were good at the time Coober Pedy to Oodnadatta andArckaringa roads were all in good nick.
The property owners don't like people free camping and I myself would respect this.
From memory the stay at he homestead campground was around $20 for our van. If you are going to stay at the homestead it may pay to book as I don't know how popular it is now.
AnswerID: 617683

Reply By: baznpud - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 09:20

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 09:20
John,
The main wind in tassie is westerly, who is to the west of us, i think it's a place called Western Australia, stop sending it over.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617685

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 17:50

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 17:50
Dear All

Many thanks for your responses and useful information.

Plan A is now to travel from Maree to Oodnadatta then Painted Desert, camp at Arckaringa Station, then Cooper Pedy, Kingoonya, Wirulla then home.

Have been on the west side of Tassie for the last week. Weather was very rough on Sunday, Monday. We must have missed some splendid scenery.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 617727

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)