Karlamilya National Park (Rudall River NP)

Hi,

Has anybody travelled to Karlamilya recently, are the roads open after the big wet in the Kimberley/Pilbara. I am planning a trip late April, leaving from Newman, or alternatively from Marble Bar to Carawine Gorge, then south into Karlamilya. I would welcome recent experience.
Cheers,

Davo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 11:11

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 11:11
Bit early for anybody to have been out there I would guess. Maybe for business (mining, locals) , but not pleasure.

Travelled that way a few years ago in the first week of May and the view of one in the group who knows about these things was that we were the first to visit Desert Queen Baths in many months.

Enjoy it. It is one of my all-time favourite places.

Cheers.

AnswerID: 618019

Reply By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 17:19

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 17:19
G'day Davo

Though I've not travelled into Karlamilyi (Rudall River) N/P this season I know that all access to the area is okay, the Ethel Creek to Jigalong road ~ track Talawana to Parnngurr (Cotton Creek) Community are open.

I've not heard of any difficulties in crossing the Oakover River on the Nullagine to Woodie Woodie (Ant hill road) this is a well formed all gravel road.

The Ripon Hills road to Woodie Woodie mine site is open, the access track into Carawine Gorge is open ~ but I suggest you contact the Mill's family at Warrawagine Station for first hand info on this section as it is on their lease.

The Telfer access road is open but subject to closure at short notice, suggest you contact Telfer Security main gate for first hand info on 'their' road and possible information on the track systems into and through Rudall River n/p.

If you have not seen any of the YouTube videos on the Pilbara ~ Rudall River regions I suggest you look up the series on Ronny Dahl's ~ 4Wheeling in Western Australia ~ it's reasonable content and fairly current

Contact numbers : Warrawagine Station ~ Mill's Family(08) 91765903 Mobile 0429 176 590.

Shire of East Pilbara : (08) 91758000 ~ Newman

Shire of East Pilbara : (08) 91761008 ~ Marble Bar Admin.

Capricorn Roadhouse :(08) 91751535 ~ Fuel distributor

Telfer Security Gate : (08) 91798222 or 0419 491 675

Newman Police : (08) 9175 4000

Marble Bar Police : (08) 9176 1005

Jigalong Community : (08) 9175 7565

Parnngurr Community : (08) 9176 9964

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 618023

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 17:40

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 17:40
Hiya can try Newman tourist centre lady there helpful. When you plan exactly time to go.Wondering if you going alone , I would love to tag along ? Cheers
AnswerID: 618025

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 at 21:50
G'day Lazylux16

It sounds like I have been rather dismissive by not recommending my local tourist visitor centre when it comes to questions regarding touring destinations in my region, I did/do this simply because as noted by a responder to the original post 'no one' may as yet have been out there as yet seeing it's so early in the season.

By all means seek information from a local VC ~ but don't be too disappointed if they can't help with information out side of their immediate town and this case, the Rudall River N/P is well away from my home town ~ Newman.

FollowupID: 889856

Follow Up By: D & P U - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 00:16

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 00:16
Hi Lazylux16,

Regarding yours and Joe Fury's reply, I have been in touch with Newman Visitor Centre, who have sent some information regarding the Karlamilyi access, but it is generic, not current, however they did say they have recently had some travellers from the Canning Stock Route and Talawana Track come through, so it must all be accessible.
We are planning to be in Newman around 1st or 2nd May, then travel to Karlamilyi, possibly via Marble Bar and the Carwadine Gorge, then south into Karlamilyi.
We could be interested in a tag along arrangement, as although we have travelled the Gibb River Road, and Great Central Road, Karlamilyi does seem to be a bit more remote.
Davo
If this is of interest to you also at that time, please let me have some contact details, and we may be able to coordinate the trip.
Cheers,
Davo.
FollowupID: 889859

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 08:50

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 08:50
Joe, we should be in Newman arr 17/6 from Durba, dep 19/6 for Mt Meherry.
Would love to catch up if you're in town, maybe a countery :)

If you will be about and want to catch up with 3 x EO people, and another mate along, let me know here and I'll post an email address.
FollowupID: 889861

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 23:51

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 23:51
G'day Les

Nice to hear from you and yes mate I will make sure I am in Newman on that date ~ I'll keep a watch on your travels should you have time to post your adventures here on EO or 4x4 Earth.

FollowupID: 889901

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 08:10

Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 08:10
Hey that's great Joe, be good to catch up.

If you drop me a quick email, I can firm up meeting up as we get closer to Newman, should get some message through ok or a mobile too and we can give you a quick sat phone call a day or two out.

figjam62 at gmail dot com < suspect you'll know how to fix that email address :)

We'll be in town a couple of nights, a day doing a bit of shopping around Newman, wash some gear, prep up for next section, some oil changes there too most likely.

If you're keen to have a drive with us to Karijini for a day or a few days, we are heading to Mt Meherry for a drive up (camp), then Dales Gorge camp a couple more nights.

Look forward to catching up.
FollowupID: 889907

Reply By: Member - Ray S - Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 21:09

Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 21:09
Hi Davo (and others who have responded to your initial request for information).

A very belated response to your thread (just discovered it this evening).

For your information, my wife Verity and I will be in Karlamilyi from 16th May to 22nd May. We will be coming from the east from Alice Springs across the Gary Junction. We know the Gary Junction up to Kintore, but all new territory for us when we cross the border so, although well prepared, we are feeling a little apprehensive.

After Karlamilyi, we will head to Newman and then poke around the Pilbara for a couple of months. As far as that part of Western Australia goes, the furthest north that we have been is Mount Augustus, so we're very much looking forward to the Pilbara (travelled the Sandy Blight last year, so I suppose technically we almost made it into the eastern reaches of the Shire of East Pilbara!).

If you have a chance, it would be really good to hear of your experiences and the track conditions in Karlamilyi.since you will most likely be there ahead of us.

Ray
AnswerID: 618322

Follow Up By: D & P U - Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 22:08

Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 22:08
Hi Ray,
It sounds as though you are pretty experienced outback travellers already, when we return, around 8 May, I'll let you know what we experienced.
Cheers,
Davo
FollowupID: 890264

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 19:22

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 19:22
I'll look forward to your report.

Wife & I are planning to tow our Tvan to Karlamilyi via Alice, Gary Junction Rd, Gary Hwy, Talawana Tk on our own in July, before heading for the west coast via Mt Augustus & Kennedy Ranges.

regards
Cuppa.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890461

Follow Up By: Member - Ray S - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 07:49

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 07:49
Hi Cuppa

We leave Alice on 9 May and expect to arrive in Newman on 23 May (we plan to poke around Karlamilyi for about a week). We'll attempt to get a report up on this thread soon after we arrive in Newman. I'm interested that you are heading down the Gary Highway (we will be entering Karlamilyi from the north past Telfer). I look forward to hearing your report on the Gary Highway, including the suitability of it for off road trailers. Travelling it all the way south to its junction with the Gunbarrel is a little attractive to me, but not sure if it will ever happen.

Regards
Ray
FollowupID: 890467

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 08:07

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 08:07
Thanks Ray, will look forward to your report.

From what I can gather from others the northern half of the Gary Hwy is likely to be in better condition than it's southern half.

I did find a youtube video of some folks who pulled a Tvan & a Topaz through where we plan to go back in 2013Video

I'll be posting a report of our experience on my blog at cuppa500.com/Blog
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890469

Sponsored Links