Coongie Lakes/Mount Freeling/Mount Fitton Information

Submitted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 20:28
ThreadID: 136746 Views:3278 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are planning a trip up to Coongie Lakes in July and have a couple of questions.

We were planning on staying at Coongie Lakes but have since found out no fires are allowed so it could be a bit chilly in July without one. I would ideally like to see a sunrise/sunset at the lakes so am throwing around a couple of thoughts.

Has anyone stayed at the Kudriemitchie Outstation and if so is it picturesque? Couldn't find many pictures to give an idea, the though was at least we could stay here and have a fire or alternatively is it just as easy to stay in Innamincka and do a day drive up there?

On our way back south we will be leaving from Innamincka and heading for the Farina Bakery and looking at somewhere to stay on route. I was doing some research and thinking about staying at Mt Fitton ruins or Mt Freeling Station.

Does anyone have any contact information for the station and secondly does anyone know if you can get to Mt Fitton via Moolawatana or do you need to go around the top and come in from the west via Mt Freeling?

Any other suggestions about where to stay on the way south would be greatly appreciated. Will be stopping at Camerons Corner on the way up and haven't heard great things about Montecollina Bore (windy & busy).

Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 21:26

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 21:26
Hi Lloyd,

I have stayed at the Kudriemitchie Outstation for the same reasons you mentioned. Its a great spot with several camp sites on the Cooper Creek, between the outstation and the park entrance. Suggest you get there early in the day, check out the these camp site, goto the Coongie Lakes and then decide where you wish to camp.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619090

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 22:09

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 22:09
Thanks Chris,

That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for, could only see pics of the outstation on the internet so knowing that we can camp along the Cooper Creek is perfect.

Lloyd
FollowupID: 891289

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 20:09

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 20:09
The return drive from Innamincka is a long day. Doable but you're driving at 40 kmh for most of the time......W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891339

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 22:32

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 22:32
The road between Moolawatana and Mount Freeling is probably the last undeveloped public road in the Flinders. Great drive but takes some time. I suggest that it is all through private property, so have not camped along the way.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 619092

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 23:13

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 23:13
Thanks for the info Peter,

Might wait and see how we are going time wise but at least I know it is possible.

Also might try and contact Mt Freeling Station and see what they have to say.

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 891293

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 20:07

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 20:07
Have done this in both directions. You will most likely have it to yourself. Camp free at Terrapinna waterhole.In some sections you will be driving along the creekbed. Lots of fun and fabulous scenery......G
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891338

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 20:32

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 20:32
Thanks Warrie, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Do you think it would be possible to get an off-road camper trailer through there?

Lloyd
FollowupID: 891340

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 21:15

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 21:15
Click on this link to the pix at Terrapinna waterhole. The campers are ours- got through no problems. Got to Warren Gorge in an easy day when heading east from here. See the yellow tailed rock wallabies.....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891341

Reply By: Member - Rustygq - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 16:21

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 16:21
Lloyd
We did the drive through from Moolawatana past Mt Fitton Homestead a couple of years ago. It is really slow going on the eastern end but not difficult. Terrepina Water hole is a great place to camp. The scenery is absolutely stunning. We thought it was all worth the effort.
Good Luck
Rusty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619097

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 17:36
Thanks Rusty,

Is that on private property or can you just drive through and stay there?

Also what would be the chances of getting a camper trailer through there?

It's a proper off-road trailer so don't have any qualms about it getting bounced around a bit. If it's just slow going I can cope with that.

Once you reach Mt Freeling does the going get a bit easier?

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 891299

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 18:14

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 18:14
Lloyd
Just left Coongie lakes , unfortunately no fires but the camping is fantastic .
The outstation position wasn't all the great but was next to the Cooper River .
No comparison to camping around the lake .
Cheers
AnswerID: 619100

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 09:45

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 09:45
Hi Guys, we were at Innaminka about a month ago, the track out to Coongie Lakes had only just opened and was in pretty bad condition. We were advised that there was no water in the lake, so we decided not to go out there. We had been out to Coongie Lakes a couple of years ago when there was water in the lake. Was there any water in the lake when you were there Mark?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891349

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 08:41

Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 08:41
Plenty of water last week .
Top campsites
Cheers
FollowupID: 891385

Sponsored Links