Starting problems on Patrol 3L TD

Submitted: Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:21
ThreadID: 13683 Views:1390 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Having problems with my GU starting in the cooler Sydney winter mornings.

I am finding I have to crank the car for 8 sec before it will start, sometimes this has to be done twice.

If I've been driving and switch off I can start it again straight away no problems.

I've checked the glow plugs and they all measure approx 1.2ohms each,
0.8 when all connected in parallel .......this dosen't add up if I use the resistance equations ....but I think this is not the problem.

Other things I can think of I need to check......

Coolant temp sensor being faulty ? (anyone happen to know the resistance specifications of this when its cold and hot?) ie Not allowing the glow plugs to pre heat enough before cranking. I've tried waiting 5 sec after the glow indicator goes off on the dash an it seems to make no difference to starting.

Fuel and Air Filter were changed about 20,000k ago?

Wife seems to think its harder to start when left parked facing UP a hill.... this makes me think I might have a slow air leak in the low pressure side of my fuel lines?

Anything else?

One strange thing that did happen two days ago was after getting it started after two 5 second cranks the engine light came on whilst driving to the garage to get a pink slip. When I picked it up the light had extinguished......have not seem it come on since?

Thanks

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:07

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:07
Paul,

Your description seems to point to the non return valve located in the fuel filter housing...
If that valve has rubbish in it, the fuel will slowly return to the tank overnight and it will take aproximatelly 8 seconds of cranking to get it backup.

Also worth checking is the fuel filter, O'rings (specially down where the sensor is).

Next time, instead of cranking it, open the bonnet and use the hand pump until it goes hard (may take a while) and then crank it, if it starts quicker.... thats is your problem, if not look elsewhere...

William
AnswerID: 62766

Follow Up By: Paul - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 16:50

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 16:50
Willam,

Just got home and tried it,

had to depress the hand pump 3 times,

Cranked the engine once the plug lamp went off, and it kicked after a second then continued to crank, then started....all up 4-5 sec.

The fact that when I depress the hand pump there is no resistance I guess that is air in the system?

Paul

FollowupID: 324078

Reply By: joc45 - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:32

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:32
Also check that you are actually getting volts to those glow plugs during the preheat period.
AnswerID: 62774

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:50

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:50
If it was a glow plug issue I would expect a heap of black smoke to come out the exaust when it finally started, if not then I'd say it's a fuel problem.
AnswerID: 62788

Follow Up By: Paul - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 16:52

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 16:52
no black, just the usualy puff white/blue at start up.....bit more blue when reversing out of the driveway and the engine under load.

Paul
FollowupID: 324080

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 18:01

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 18:01
When the Rocky blew a glow plug all the unburnt fuel from one cylinder would come out as black smoke when it started. Blue smoke is normally a sign of burning oil and I would only guess that blue smoke shortly after startup would be worn valve seals, which could be letting a small amount of oil leak into the cylinder overnight. I only have a basic knowledge of this though...
FollowupID: 324084

Sponsored Links