Menindee - Ivanhoe - Hillston

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 16:13
ThreadID: 136839 Views:5209 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of returning from Broken Hill to the Sthn Highlands by what Google Maps show as the most direct route, but would like information on how much dirt / gravel is involved and what it is like. We do not have a 4WD, but our Toyota Kluger is AWD and pretty good.
I know not to do this trip after rain, but that doesn't seem too much of a worry at present.
Can anyone help please?
Ralph
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Burto - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 17:02

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 17:02
Did this last year and expect things will be a little different as there was roadworks between Menindee and Ivanhoe.
Menindee to Ivanhoe was mostly dirt and at the time dusty. As mentioned there was some roadworks going on. Generally road was in good condition and we had no issues travelling with a Landcruiser towing a van.
Ivanhoe to Hillston is bitumen to Mossgiel then dirt to Hillston. Was generally OK but dusty. AWD Kluger should have no issues provided rain hasn’t killed either road surface.
Good drive
Ian
AnswerID: 619555

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:52

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:52
Definitely a no go after any sort of shower. Did a 180 with the van back in 09 about 20 km east of Menindee. Camped beside the road overnight and it had dried by 9 next morning. When dry it is an OK 2WD surface. 200 km dirt Menindee to Ivanhoe and 99 km west of Hilston. All 3 trips were E to W starting from Cocoparra NP near Griffith. So beware of rainbows............. W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619561

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 07:35

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 07:35
Gday
I did Menindee to Ivanhoe on Wednsday this week, all will be well with your car. Its a good road and pretty smooth.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619579

Sponsored Links