Broken Hill to Cameron's Corner

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 16:17
ThreadID: 136840 Views:5440 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to pop up to Milparinka / Tibooburra / Cameron's Corner while we are in Broken Hill in next few weeks.
Can anyone tell me what the road is like please - how much is sealed, and what sort of surface condition of the gravel?
Best place to stay in Tibooburra?
Travelling in a Toyota Kluger AWD - not 4WD.
Ralph
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:12

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:12
Not sure about between BH & Tibooburra - it's 30 years since we last drove that in an HQ station wagon - was all dirt back then & quite rocky in places.

However we did drive (Patrol + Tvan) from Camerons Corner to Tibooburra last October & you would have had no problem in an AWD vehicle. Might be different if wet. It's a good drive, just slow toward the the tops of the rises & always assume someone else is coming the other way.

We stayed at the camp provided by the Aboriginal Land Council just a short distance outside of Tibooburra & thought it was great. $15 per night (Pay at the Land Council building in town) for the 2 of us I think, & has toilets, a large shelter shed with tables, bbq, & hot showers set in a rather pleasant & sheltered spot with some interesting walks leading off from the camp ground.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619560

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:57

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:57
Member Muzbry and I drove from Cameron Corner to Silverton last Tuesday.

We stayed at Cameron Corner on Monday night, and came down the Border Downs track on Tuesday. Roads are in very good condition and you'll have no trouble in your Kluger. The dongas in Cameron Corner are pretty good, and the hospitality is outstanding.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619562

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:57

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:57
Call into Mutawintji NP if you can and camp overnight. Then up to Milparinka where there is a free?/cheap? camp right in town. Did this in 2015 towing a camper without problems. It's just another outback road. Could be graded or corrugated...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619563

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 09:56

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 09:56
Hi Warrie

Camp behind the Historic Precinct for $10 per night (per vehicle)...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 891890

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 09:55

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 09:55
Hi Ralph

There is approximately 50 kms of unsealed road between Broken Hill and Tibooburra if travelling on the Silver City Highway. There are other alternatives to this route, which are all "good dirt".

The unsealed sections of the Silver City Highway tend to be "chopped up" a bit due to the amount of traffic. But it will not be any problem if you drive to the conditions.

Be sure to stop by at Milparinka and visit the Historic Precinct. I am just back from a three-week stint as Information Person / Caretaker at the visitor centre. And can say, most people who stop by really enjoy the displays.

You can camp out the back of the centre for $10 per night, and there are toilet facilities. And it is worthwhile doing as you can enjoy a cold beverage from the verandah of the Albert Hotel as the sun slips below the horizon.

Enjoy your trip and you can read some more about Milparinka in a blog I wrote recently.

Miparinka Blog

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 619620

Sponsored Links