Recommendations Please

Hi. I'd like to take my wife and two small children for a weekend camping. I know that the kids and I will enjoy it but I think the wife might take some persuading. I've never been camping in Victoria and have no idea where to go. I think I'd like somewhere that's would be great for the family, that's not too uncomfortable for the missus (think proper toilets and showers) and is within a few hours of Melbourne. Any suggestions greatly received.

Thanks

James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 20:52

Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 20:52
You don't need to be told how cold it is in Mexico during winter !! lol
Somewhere near the ocean for better overnight temps....and you didn't mention how you intend to camp....tent etc ??
If you're worried about the missus, wait until it warms up....does it ever down there ?? lol
AnswerID: 620043

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 13:08

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 13:08
Hi James O, Gronk is right about the weather being cold at this time of year. Also about the method of camping, tent or van. However, the Gippsland coast is generally 3 or 4 degrees warmer than Melbourne at this time of year. I cannot recommend any specific parks etc. but Orbost or the Gippsland Lakes might be good.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620054

Reply By: George_M - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 14:13

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 14:13
Hi James

As the other guys have said, winter in Victoria is not the best time to take a first-timer camping:-). On the other hand, the end of September on is glorious.

Have a look at this website if you want to camp in a Victorian National Park: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks

If you want to explore bush camping then buy one of the many camping guides that contain an absolute wealth of quite specific information: I use "The Camping Guide to Victoria" by Boiling Billy publications.

Good luck, and enjoy!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620056

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2018 at 13:20

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2018 at 13:20
I'd head somewhere like the Grampians. You could stay at one of the bush sites and pay to use the showers at Halls Gap, stay in one of the caravan parks (a little less remote but still a nice "bush" feel), or, if either prove too arduous, retreat to a cabin!

I agree on leaving it until later in the year for a first trip though.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 620070

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2018 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2018 at 21:41
If the camping is really important you at this time of year
Try the central coast nsw , about a hr north of sydney.
The winters are a gem when the suns out and you never ever get a frost in the morning !
Let alone any freezing elements that chill you to the bone !!

A few hours extra drive
But totally worth it
given you have hundreds of km of coast to decide a spot
Avoca would be one
Lakes entrance another
Or even anywhere around Newcastle further north
Take a friday and a mondy off
Make it a long weekend for yourselfs
AnswerID: 620079

Reply By: gary l5 - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2018 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2018 at 20:13
James, if you have never been to the Grampians I suggest you have a look.
Parkgate Caravan Park at Hall's Gap is a great park with great amenities.
Hall's Gap is a nice little town with nice shops and a great ice cream shop.
There are lots of nice easy walks close by and plenty of kangaroos and emu's for the kids to see.
AnswerID: 620208

Sponsored Links