DIY 2nd Battery set up in 200series VX landcruiser model year 2017?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 15:06
ThreadID: 136986 Views:4569 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

is it possible to do an easy DIY dual battery set up for a landcruiser VX 200 series model year 2017 (with limited/no removal of panels on the vehicle etc) - accessing existing 230V outlet in the back. Using say a CTEK DC to DC 250s between batteries?

(I did a dual battery set up in a jeep grandcherokee laredo which was straightforward as main battery is actually under driver's seat of car).

Is it better to take it to a professional autoelectrician/dual battery installer business to do? If it is, does anyone know how much it might cost roughly to install (excluding battery)? (any recommended installers in sydney area?)

Or are their internet links to DIY set ups?

Cheers,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 16:24

Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 16:24
The 230v outlet wouldn’t be used in conjunction with a DcDc unit. The 230v outlet is supplied by an inverter which runs of the 12v batteries in the front. Are you wanting it to use the dual aux batteries to power the inveter for 230v ac use?? It is only rated at a relatively low output 110w I think they are.

At present it is unclear what exactly you intend to have happen/ installed, therefore it is difficult to say on thing or another regarding self installing or auto electrical etc.
AnswerID: 620167

Follow Up By: albula - Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 16:35

Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 16:35
Hi RMD,
apologies not being very clear:
Current VX has just the one battery - with the 2nd battery space empty currently - planning to buy a 100-130Ah AGM battery to put in their for the dual battery set up.
Then run a DC-DC unit in between (is there a recommended location in the bonnet where this can be easily bolted in??) between the 2 batteries.
One of the main questions is running wiring off the 2nd battery to the back of the VX to power 12V fridge/LED lights etc. Where does the wiring go to get there without removal of panels etc. Is there an option to do this DIY?
For my jeep i bought a little baintech distribution panel (it has voltmeter, USB, Merritt and Ciga socket options) - so the wiring from the 2nd battery connects to this switch box - then I can plug in whatever 12V powered gear into this to run it.
Is there a recognised channel through which the cables run from front to back.
That's why I've mentioned the 230V socket already in the back - can wire from the 2nd battery connect to this socket easily?
Thanks for any responses!
FollowupID: 892518

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 19:05

Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 19:05
If using a DcDc unit it is best in a cool spot so engine bay heat, radiated or direct, doesn’t cause the unit to derate it’s output.
A Ign sensing DcDc unit would be required if the vehicle has a so called “smart” alternator.
A large cable, to reduce any significant voltage drop with the expected rear appliances would be required.
Fairly simple to run one from engine bay to rear to supply 12v to the Baintech unit. Getting the cabling, both positive and negate lines to the Baintech can probably be done through a rubber plug in the rear somewhere. I am not familiar with access in that area.
If wanting the 230v inverter to work off the aux qbattery, It would have to have it’s supply removed from the main system and attached to the aux positive path to power it.
FollowupID: 892528

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 21:58

Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 at 21:58
Join LCOOL.

Litterally dozens of pages and threads on this one subject for the 200. Maybe over 100 pages dedicated to this.
AnswerID: 620172

Sponsored Links