UserTrek Comment: Kimberley and return

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 19, 2018 at 20:13
ThreadID: 137144 Views:2439 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I travelled from Sydney to Alice Springs by ourselves where we met friends to travel along the Gary Junction Road, pulling our respective vans. We meet the coast at Exmouth after circling the various mining towns of the Pilbara region. At Exmouth our group expanded to three vans, we then proceeded up the coast to Derby around to Fitzroy Crossing. The Gibb River Road was next coming out at Kununurra. Did the Purnululu NP, Halls Creek to Wolf Creek Meteorite crater and returned to Sydney via Kununurra, Alice Springs and Mungindi. The complete trip lasted just over 4 months and we had an extremely enjoyable adventure.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 07:16

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 07:16
Looks like you both had Pajeros (going from photos). How did they perform on the trip? Probably the most under rated 4wd in Australia!
AnswerID: 620775

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 16:58

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 16:58
The Paj was a the base of a pretty good safari race few years ago although got very high tec as year went by ....
underrated might be a bit harsh.... Lol
I know few people that have them & have no problems with them .
maybe apart from being a low vehicle .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 893250

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 17:02

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 17:02
I meant underrated as a real 4wd. I,ve seen them go up hills where tojos and patrols couldnt make it. Extremely reliable vehicle. great tow vehicle, easy on fuel and as well as being comfortable they are great as a suburban run around as well. I looked at the tojos and patrols but kept coming back to the Pajero because of its all round dependability and very few issues compared to other makes. Same design for 15 years means nearly all gremlins have gone..
FollowupID: 893251

Follow Up By: KevinE - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:08

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:08
We have a Pajero, had it 3 years now; I totally agree with them being comfortable, but if the terrain is going to be steep, we usually take our other 4x4, which is a Navara. It's less comfortable than the Paj, but it's more capable off road. The Paj may be able to do it, but the Navara just does it so much easier.

Having said that, I'll likely buy another Pajero when the time comes. They are a lot of car for the price!
FollowupID: 893282

Follow Up By: Seacay - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 16:48

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 16:48
Yes, both Pajeros. I previously owned a 2002 model, my current unit is a 2010, with just over 210k on the clock whilst my friend's is a 2007 (ex NSW police vehicle) with in excess of 350k. As the milage suggests they have been around a few places and have never let us down. Other than a 2" lift, lovell springs with bilstein shocks, both units are pretty much mechanically stock standard.

I can't figure why Mitsubishi have introduced the Sport version of this vehicle as it will not perform anywhere near as good as my current vehicle.

Anyhow, we all continue to have a great time and hopefully the reliability of the current Paj will continue.
FollowupID: 893676

Sponsored Links