Birdsville to Winton track conditions.

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:07
ThreadID: 13739 Views:1598 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi y'all:

I'm about to try a push from Birdsville NE to Winton. Up the Diamantina River flow channels. I believe there might be some wetness & stickiness there.

Can anyone who's done that run recently report on conditions there?

Thanks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 11:29

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 11:29
Girtie,

By the tone of your post you want to follow the River all the way to Winton? Don't think there is any road that follows the channels ALL the way to Winton. The Diamantina River Road follows the River all the way from Diamantina Lakes to Collingwood, near the Boulia-Winton road.

However, all the roads are open at the moment, but there could be the odd wet patch, which you can probably drive around. Graders have been working from Diamantina Lakes back to Davenport, across to Springvale, and up to Winton Shire boundary, at the Mayne Pub.

The road from Mayne to Winton is probably the best it's been since 1989, via Cork Station.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 63067

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 17:29

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 17:29
On ya, Bob Y.
Someone just got back from the lakes about 1/2 hour ago (I've been looking after their animals), road was o.k. - long and slow and lots of gates. Good trip - they found out how far their new Toyota goes before running out of fuel. They went to Boulia from Birdsville, across the Hamilton Channels and down through Diamantina Lakes and down to Monkira and back to Birdsville.
AnswerID: 63095

Sponsored Links