auto fridge

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 18:31
ThreadID: 13753 Views:5908 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
does anyone know what an Auto fridge is and how it differs from an Bushman fridge
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 19:11

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 19:11
Hi, grandpa,
An Autofridge is made by Quirk's Victory Light in Sydney. It uses a Danfoss compressor similar to the Trailblazer, Evakool, and I believe the Waeco. The compressor is a purpose-built 12v unit. The fridge compartment has a eutectic plate surrounding the chiller, which acts like a chiller brick you put in your freezer for your Esky. This means that you can turn the fridge off at night, saving the battery. Is rugged and well built from fibreglass.
Check it out at
http://www.quirks.com.au/

Don't know a lot about the Bushman; check out
http://www.dprefrigeration.com.au/portable.htm
I note that they also use the Danfoss compressor.

cheers, Gerry
AnswerID: 63120

Follow Up By: grandpa - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 19:37

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 19:37
thanks gerry,Joc45
I will check out those websites. Just thought I might ask you this one...
I have a blue thumper and when I go away the fridge seems to reset itself. When we go away for a few days ( we have the fridge running through the thumper), but the fridge seems to reset itself and go from 2 degress to -18. If we dont keep checking it everything freezes
and we have to manually set it back to 2 degrees. The fridge works fine on a mates car with a duel battery system.
Can you help? Any ideas ?
Soory to say its a Bushman, but the principle should be the same for all fridges.

Steve
FollowupID: 324461

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:04

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:04
Thanks also for those websites and the advice by all, as the SWMBO I feel that the fridge is one of the more important purchases we have to make when we decide to do long trips.

§ef
FollowupID: 324483

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:42
Hi Grandpa ,
I have an Autofridge 73 litre and I had the smaller one which Ijust sold to my mate . The small one I sold I used once 8 years ago for three weeks and then put it into storeage .
When my mate turned it on , the compreesor worked fine , but the fridge did not cool at all . Quirks said that the gel in the sides had gone off through lack of use and they charged $450 to repair it .
I was prettybleepoff about that .
When they work , they use a lot less power than all the other normal types of fridges - that's why I bought another one . I will be a bit more careful to use this new one more regularly though !
Willie
FollowupID: 324503

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:43
Re grandpa's follow-up, can anyone help re the blue thumper? (I've never heard of one before).

Re the autofridge, I've had one for about 10yrs now. It lost its eutectic fluid about 3 yrs out of warranty, Quirks fixed it no charge. Apparently a re-design in the eutectic fluid chamber was part of the fix. Been fine since over some pretty rough country. Very low power consumption.
Gerry
FollowupID: 324540

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 19:44
Hi grandpa,
I have never had any of the other brands, but the autofridge I have is a top unit!. They are designed with a 'brine' solution that surrounds the chiller compartment & the idea is to put it on 24ov.the night befor you leave & that freezes tomake it very efficient . usually 2hrs. morn.& night is enough to keep every thing cold & very good on the batteries. I was goin to trade it in on a Waeco[bigger size same price] but the salesman said stick with the Auto its much better, & I,ve got no complaints! Hope this helps... Phil
AnswerID: 63123

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 20:14

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 20:14
Grandpa,
From the other posts I suspect you know the difference, I had a Bushman fridge I now have an Engle. The after sales service from Bushman was excellent I can't knock that, I had lots of problems with the digital thermometer, lost two fridge loads of food and called it quits after three trips. That was four years ago, since then I've had an Engle, hasn't missed a beat. Nuff said.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 63129

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:51

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:51
I've had a 35 litre Autofridge for about 7 years. Absolute ripper of a fridge. Can easily be used as freezer. I used to put my meat on the bottom and my beer on the top - set on about 3 out of a scale of 7. Perfect. Due to it's eutectic insulation it uses far less amps than just about any other fridge that I know of. They're a tad more expensive but well worth it.

Mine was strapped down in the back of Maverick ute and used day in,day out whilst prospecting in W.A. bush. It got hell knocked out of it and was never in an air-conditioned cab and still held it's temperature. They are highly recomended by the W.A. Toyota club. Of which I am not a member.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 63172

Reply By: daren - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 23:12

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 23:12
Grandpa,
They are the ducks guts. You have read all the techno stuff above , but the best thing is the inside of the fridge does not have a cooling coil in the fridge compartment. its nice and smooth inside, therefore easy to clean. and your spring onions wont get frozen to the coil. the best fridge on the market !!!
will gladly put it up against any frige on the market.
thanks
D
AnswerID: 63173

Reply By: GLD - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:42

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:42
We've had our Autofridge for about 7 years and it is excellent.

The Quirks company is excellent to deal with if you ever have any problems. We had a problem with ours when it was about 6 months out of warranty, and Quirks fixed it free including transport costs.

The only down side to them is that you must have an air space of a couple of inches around them while travelling, but that's not usually a problem - and they are damn heavy - but I don't know how much heavier in comparison to other fridge brands.

We have the 240v converter and use it at home when we need a bit of extra fridge space.

AnswerID: 63182

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:17

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:17
Grandpa,

I got one too. Like everyone says they are the bees knees, the ducks nuts. Mines a 39lt and a few years back I put an extension on it (the fridge that is) and increased it to 59lts, like they now have for engles. Me breads, fruit and vegies are up in this area and last for a couple of weeks.
AnswerID: 63197

Reply By: grandpa - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:38
thanks everyone for your replies,,,,I think i will sell the fridge and eat at the pub!!!
AnswerID: 63302

Sponsored Links