2004 100 series 5 speed auto not shifting up to 4th gear

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 08:29
ThreadID: 137591 Views:2669 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all brains trust, (and merry Christmas)

I searched the forum and supprisingly no results return, I did see a couple of moments in an issue with a 200 series, but the members did not describe the fix.

I bought this vehicle 6000km ago. As soon as I bought it I took it to whole sale automatics in Melbourne to do an inspection and replace the ATF and flush it. I had a temp gauge installed at the same time.

The Issue:

A trip to Griffith a month later, I heard a noice shifting gear in a town close to Griffith after 7hrs of driving and the box would not shift up beyond 3rd gear.

I stopped turned the engine off waited 5mins and the issue went away and not returned until yesterday. ( about 4000km of driving in between with out incident)

A drive from Melbourne to Sydney, hit the city outskirts and had to stop at lights there was a bit of a clunk.. and the same issue again.. drove to the destination, let it sit for an hour while we unpacked.. and the took it for a drive.. no issues..

Now I know the ECU does regulate the shift changes, but the noise I suspect is a shift solenoid..

The temp of the ATF sits between 55 and 65 degrees all the way from melb to Sydney

I am happy to take any suggestions... I was thinking of taking it to lilydale automatics.. I had read a few unfavourable reports on wholesale automatics..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Kind regards
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bobsabobsa - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 08:54

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 08:54
What oil was put in it ?
you can go onto the LCOOL forum they have a bundle of info there. wrong oil and erratic changes
mine is a 2006 so would be the same I only use WS totoya auto trans fluid ,yes it is expensive but these trans are very temperamental when the wrong oil is put in them
You will need 12 litres so 3 containers I buy 4 just in case and supply my trans guy with them to change the oil
that way I know I am using the correct oil ,
There are replacement oils they say are just as good but I dont what to chance it
I think you will need a trans guy to check it out, if you are unsure of what oil change it and filter back to WS toyota trans fluid
bob

AnswerID: 622810

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 09:56

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 09:56
Hello Tim
Inmy view if the fluid was at fault that would cause problems straight after the refill.
Seeing you can switch off and then restart or perhaps let it cool and it is ok again, I would thoroughly check ALL related loom plug connections for cleanliness inside and security of the connection when closed up.
There is a number of loom plugs on autos and the selector inhibitor switch too, so removing each one and perhaps spraying contact cleaner in there, followed with a lithium spray gease, similar to the OE goo, should restore the contact of the loom wires. The lithium spray grease prevents corrosion but does not interfere with contacts which are in good orderand contacting properly.

Regarding a solenoid valve in the auto box, you will never hear them, they hardly make any noise when removed and tested for opening. You may hear noise created by the system servo units as the valves are being not operated correctly and shuddering as electric signals reach them from dirty contacts.

Any plug which has ever been under water or likely to have been swimming would be first on the list of the checking you do.
AnswerID: 622811

Reply By: axle - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 14:30

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 14:30
Hi Tim, I had one the same model and it used to do the same thing ,turn it off wait a while and all would be good ….until next time,which could be anything from 1mth to 6mth...there was a modification that could be done to the valve body on those five speeders that fixed the problem, you need to speak to someone that knows those boxes.,hope all goes well.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 622816

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 23:46

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2018 at 23:46
Have you taken it back to Wholesale Automatics and given them an opportunity to fix the problem under warranty? They should have been given a chance to make good before you bagged them here.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 622820

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 at 08:11

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 at 08:11
I don't think he is bagging them at all, simply stating a problem happened a month after having it serviced after purchase date and the issue happens sometimes. That could be anything.
Unlikely to be the fluid as the auto people know what works in those autos and it didn't happen straight after.
FollowupID: 895854

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:13

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:13
He did say

"I was thinking of taking it to lilydale automatics.. I had read a few unfavourable reports on wholesale automatics.."

I consider that to be a mild bagging. He should at least go back and give them a chance to make good the work they did. If you don't do that then you are not allowing then to improve their service. If you don't give them a chance you are just adding to the bagging that is already out there. If you then don't get satisfaction, go ahead and give them a bagging.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895855

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 at 15:27

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 at 15:27
The work WA did on the vehicle was ok for a month before a problem. Plenty of time ( for any other problem unrelated to recent work) to manifest itself. Hardly WA problem. If they refuse I would understand.
FollowupID: 895857

Reply By: Tim N4 - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 10:24

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 10:24
Good morning all,

Good morning all,

Thanks for the replies. I have phoned Wholsale Automatics this morning and it’s booked in for Monday. It happened again yesterday heading to the blue mountains, but not returning home.

I will check the electrical connections in the next day or so before I drive back to Melbourne.

BTW, I was not having a Dig at WA, it was simply that when it happened the first time, I rang them and they had not heard of it happening before.. given I read a number of forums confirming it has happened to others, I was exploring if people had any recommendations for other auto tranny shops, if WA could not resolve the issue.

I will post the results from WA next week, if a fix can be determined, I will post their recommendations.

Have a great Christmas break, and happy travels for those on the road.

Regards
Tim
AnswerID: 622832

Follow Up By: Tim N4 - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 11:13
Morning all,

So back from WA, the team were really accomodating they did not charge me for their investigation, so I was thankful for that.

The outcome:
They could not reproduce the fault
There was no error codes on the engine
They had not heard of this fault happening before

The WA team did say it is a fail safe mode designed to protect the gear box. The only suggestion they had was to monitor the frequency....if it happens quite often, then perhaps rebuild the entire auto.. approx cost $5k

So I would be intersted if others have had a similar experience and had the issue located and repaired..

I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Kind regards
Tim
FollowupID: 896008

Sponsored Links