Winton to Jundah...and...Yunta to the Strzelecki via Lake Frome

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:29
ThreadID: 137675 Views:3088 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Forum-ites

I can't get any response from the search function on the above (just the spinning wheel) , but if any forum members have done either of the following routes I'd appreciate your opinion re attractions and challenges:

>>> from Yunta on the Barrier Hwy, north via Frome Downs and Lake Frome on the eastern side of the Flinders Ranges, and up past Arkaroola to join the Strzelecki Track near Mt Hopeless.

>>> from Winton south via Lark Quarry and on to join the Thomson Devt Road at Jundah.

Thanks
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:51

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:51
Did the drive from Yunta to Arkaroola and onto the Strzelecki Track back in September...other then the Waukaringa Ruins which we stayed at the night, there’s not a lot of attractions along that actual route unless you go into Arkaroola itself or turn off to go elsewhere. Road was in pretty good condition most of the way to Arkaroola (small corrugations at Yunta end but improved to a real nice road after Waukaringa through to the mine I can’t recall the name of currently. Just after Arkaroola the road deteriorated with very ordinary corrugations and a very rocky road, I wasn’t looking forward to the drive to Strzelecki Track, but the bad section only lasted maybe 20klms and rest of the way was a pretty good track.....but nothing really in the way of attractions as such to stop off at. Sunset and especially sunrise at Waukaringa we’re spectacular, the pink of the surrounding ranges at sunrise had to be seen to be believed (look across the road from the hotel, not towards the rising sun) it was simply stunning. If you do stop in there then look for The Leyland Brothers graffiti on the ruins walls from many years ago.
AnswerID: 623208

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 13:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 13:57
Thanks for that Rumpig......sounds like it should go on the list to check out the overnight stop at Waukaringa, and we have done most of the other tracks in the Flinders Ranges already.
Did you just take the 2 days for the full stretch?
I'm assuming no permits required in that area.
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896342

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 21:17

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 21:17
We left Silverton and drove to camp the night at Waukaringa after doing a mine tour near Silverton, then drove to Arkaroola the next day (arrived about lunch time) and spent a few days there, then left Arkaroola and drove to Montecollina Bore on the Strezlecki Track (arrived there mid afternoonish).
Waukaringa itself is not that overly spectacular, but the sunrise and sunset there were for us.... there's not a lot of other options of where to camp or things to see on that road really as you head to Arkaroola. Heading to the Strezlecki Track we struggled to find a nice place to stop for lunch, eventually we found a little side track to turn off onto and get some shade under a few trees, but it wasn't the most scenic lunch location we have ever stopped at...lol. We didn't need any permits on that drive itself, other then paying to drive on Arkaroola Station.
FollowupID: 896365

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 23:49

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 23:49
That sounds a pretty straightforward option, thanks.
Is there any access to Lake Frome along the way? On my map it looks like there is a track in from Balcanoona, but would need to check condition with the folks at Arkaroola - maybe a daytrip with vehicle only from Arkaroola village.
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896372

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019 at 07:24

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019 at 07:24
Can’t help you with access to the lake, we didn’t look into going there due to our time schedule we were on.
FollowupID: 896374

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019 at 09:42
You can get to the lake from Balcanoona, the NP HQ. It is restricted at certain times for aboriginal access reasons, hunting I think. All info available at park office at balcanoona. There are some good campsites in the Gammon Ranges too.
FollowupID: 896376

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 14:49

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 14:49
Can't help you with the SA bit.

Winton-Jundah is a usually well maintained road, with a section between Lark Quarry & Winton-Barcoo(?) Shire boundary that isn't quite as good as the remainder. Almost 50kms of bitumen south of Winton, then 4 short sections of bitumen down to Lark Quarry turnoff. Council keeps the dirt in pretty good order, and much of it has been sheeted with gravel.

Jundah Shire has some of the best roads in the state! The quality of these may depend on when you're travelling, same as Winton area.

Heading down to Lark Quarry, you can drive out to the edge of the escarpment, to the west, at both Nareen Jumpup & the Cork turnoff. If time permits you could go further West to Old Cork waterhole, but you may have been there? When you cross the Mayne River, at Rocky Crossing, there are numerous places to camp there. Can't remember any outstanding camps, closer to Jundah?

We live in Winton, so you can call in and discuss any further suggestions if you wish......no charge. Try the info centre at Waltzing Matilda Centre, or go and see Bernie & Peewee at Searles Outback Store, they sell everything!

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623212

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 19:53

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 19:53
Thanks Bob, appreciate the advice and the additional local suggestions. We'll make sure to follow-up and get in touch when in the area. Have been to the previous Waltzing Matilda centre of course, and also visited just after the fire - have heard the new one is very impressive.
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896357

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 21:38

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 21:38
Yeah, the new Waltzing Matilda Centre is so different to the old one. Same architect as Australian Age of Dinosaurs reception centre, so has a umm.........., prehistoric look? Some excellent exhibits, audio visual gear and a cafe, gift shop, gallery & a spacious entry foyer/reception. Asked the Boss how long to go through it & her reply: "2 hours, or 10 minutes"

Way Out West Festival is on around Anzac Day too, if you're interested, Wildmax. Join the other 6 or 7 thousand visitors boogying at the footy field. LOL

Safe travelling,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 896368

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 23:42

Monday, Jan 14, 2019 at 23:42
We'll be a bit later than Anzac Day Bob; volunteering at the Big Red Bash at Birdsville in mid-July, and just planning a meandering route of interesting things to do in May/June on the way there.
Thanks again
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896371

Reply By: Macquarie - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2019 at 17:29
We travelled the Jundah - Winton Road in May 2016 in our Sunland van and Ford Ranger.

The road was in good condition and we just enjoyed the scenery at around 70kph. Very little traffic in either direction.

We stopped overnight at a great camp spot. just before the boundary gate to the Lark Quarry site. (The Lark Quarry dinasour attraction has good van parking areas for day visitors, you just can't use them for overnight stays).

An easy run into Winton the next day after visiting the Lark Quarry site
AnswerID: 623230

Sponsored Links