ThreadID: 137707 Views:2739 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
North from Eyre Hwy to Rawllinna. Cheers Mark

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 18:56

Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 18:56
Don't know what the "best" route is but last June we travelled north from Cocklebiddy to Rawlinna. Not a road you'd tackle in a hurry, but as long as you take your time it's not too bad. Numerous limestone outcrops in places, which tend to slow you down.

There is the road up to Zanthus too, but I'm unaware what it's like. Could always follow the railway from Kalgoorlie. Worth camping the night at Rawlinna and having a look around the town. We were lucky enough to see the Indian-Pacific stop there for their evening break.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623373

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 19:28
Cocklebiddy to Rawlinna.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623375

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 20:29

Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 20:29
Hi Mark

There are 2 ways that you can get to Rawlinna from Cocklebiddy, but unfortunately I have only driven the track up past Arubiddy and then through to Rawlinna.

The track as far as Arubiddy is a well graded, wide track, but the moment that you pass the entry into the station, it reverts into a two wheel track.

We really enjoyed the drive and we spent one night out and it was pure bliss. There are many station gates to open and it is only once that you pass through the Dingo barrier fence that Rawlinna Station have placed their own signs to keep travellers on the right track, and to be honest, you would have to be blind to get lost.

The moment that you reach Rawlinna, you will then have 100% full Telstra phone coverage all the way through to Kalgoorlie, and the road from Rawlinna is a super dirt road and some great camping locations along the way.

Enjoy your drive.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623376

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 21:26

Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 21:26
Used Haig Road from East of Rawlinna to Cocklebiddy. Locals at Rawlinna said it was easier than opening and closing all the gates. The 'road' was reasonable although there were many areas of limestone outcropping. Need to take it easy and keep a bit of pressure in the tyres to help protect the sidewalls from the limestone. Probably around 30psi would give some comfort and keep the sidewalls a bit upright.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623378

Reply By: Member - Mark Gregory L1 (WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 23:27

Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 at 23:27
Thank you guys for info and photos, just great and so quick, first time I have used this site. Take care n safe travels. Mark

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623379

Sponsored Links