Culling dingoes

Submitted: Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 11:32
ThreadID: 137894 Views:6003 Replies:20 FollowUps:67
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked
I was very upset when I heard on news that Qld wildlife service killed two dingoes on Fraser Island.
Those tourists must have had seen the pack of dingoes on beech from some distance. Why they stepped out of car? …. to get closer? Isn’t that tourist’s fault?
For sure if we call dingo WOLF not a dog, tourists would stay in car.
It’s commonly known that people respect lot more wolf than dog. To call all dingoes wolfs regardless if it’s correct or not, would mostly eliminate approach to dingo as dog
It’s enough what damage is done on mainland with 1080 poison bites - banned in most countries as the animal suffers a prolonged and horrific death.
When it comes to Fraser Is. why don’t rangers feed dingoes way, way out areas visited by tourists? Dingoes make packs only if they are extremely hungry. They would stay in area of food supply.
All state and federal governments should step in and start doing something right for those poor native animals.
On our last year 17500km’s travel (mostly on SA & WA bomb roads in deserts) we have had seen only 4 dingoes in very bad condition, but plenty of warning signs for 1080 poison. We traveled same areas 15years there were plenty of dingoes than.
Are we going the same way as our predecessors with Tassie tigers?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 12:25

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 12:25
Not being classed as native Australian animals doesn’t help their survival.
Early farming / grazing needs probably had an impact of govco policy towards this classification.

I think if the right 2 animals were euthanised then it had to be done, taking the tourists out of Fraser isn’t going to happen and the dogs got a taste of their sometimes superiority in some situations there (kids and the more vulnerable).
AnswerID: 624183

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 13:20

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 13:20
Firstly; dingo should be Australian native, since it's know to come to Australia thousands of years ago with Aboriginal population. It doesn't justify newcomers to this land to kill them because they decide it's all right to do so!
Secondly; I never mentioned to take tourists from Fraser. They should be properly educated before they step on island (for the money we pay shouldn't be problem). With re-naming dingo as a wolf people would game respect right-away.
Lastly; feeding dingoes out of visiting areas would definitely make big impact as they would stay closer to food! Only thing is we need dedicated rangers that are willing to really work!
FollowupID: 897598

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 14:41

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 14:41
Danna
Is it known dingoes arrived with Aborginals?

People are attacked on Fraser Island just going about their holiday business, not trying to be near then at all.
If you propose to, not be near a dingo on Fraser, then don't travel to the island, simple. They approach you, by getting out of a vehicle on Fraser Island when they aren't visible, in no way means a dingo isn't nearby and very close to you. Have a rethink there, please.

I don't know about, wolfs, but wolves are a different animal. All dogs descended from Wolves.
People travelling to Fraser are asked no to feed a Dongo at any time. I didn't think rangers fed them at all seein gthey are a wild dog and fend for themselves.

If you get bitten and torn up and require a sudden visit to hospital emergency as a result of dingo attack, do you want to go back and be with that particular dingo asap?
FollowupID: 897603

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:42

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:42
Estimated arrival of dingoes to Australia:
FollowupID: 897607

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:21

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:21
Dana

The Australian Aborigine arrived in Australia more than 40,000 years ago, Dingo's have only been here for less than 20,000 years. It is drawing a very long bow to suggest that Aborigines brought the Dingo to Australia. Aborigines have been trading with our northern neighbours from Malaysia & Indonesia for many thousands of years, it is quite possible that they came to Australia as a result of this trading.

As far as education goes, there are signs everywhere both on Fraser Island & and on the Ferries landing people on the Island in many different languages explaining the dangers of Dingos. The Rangers do not feed the Dingos as this is against all National Park rules. You are never far from a Dingo on Fraser Island, Rangers will tell you that you are probably being watched by a Dingo no matter where you are on Fraser Island all the time.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897612

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:43

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:43
And isn't 20.000 years plenty to game status of native animal for dingoes?...............
Why the ranger can't feed dingoes, when rangers in WA can feed dolphins in marine NP just to attract more tourists ........ For sure if they can break a rules, Fraser ranger can apply for same.
FollowupID: 897614

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:49

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:49
Dana,

I do not understand your point with regard to 20,000 years and game status. They are not a game animal, we do not hunt them for game.

You claimed earlier that the Aborigines brought the Dingo to Australia. The Aborigines have been here for 40,000 years, therefore, the Aborigine did not bring the Dingo to Australia, they merely utilised the dingo for their own purpose.

As far as feeding Dingos & Dolphins is concerned, it is illegal to feed Dingos in every State and Territory in the country, it is not illegal to feed dolphins.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897618

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:12

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:12
Guys

It would appear that Danna is not a native speaker of English.

Have some respect and read the threads and interpret what is written. If you can't interpret the info - ask for clarification.

I thought we were a better group of people than this.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 897629

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:25

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:25
Sorry Anthony, but respect needs to earned. Very disrespectful and arrogant to tell someone that even the person writing something doesn’t believe what they have written.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897653

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:34

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:34
I think Danna meant 'gain' not "game".

As in 'gain status' and 'gain respect'.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897656

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderer - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:08

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:08
It would seem the post Personal Attacks has completely gone out the window with Dana being bullied into submission for his lack of understanding of the English language.

Gee's it must be wonderful to be perfect, Macca.
"Respect needs to be earned" says who? You!

Obviously Dana he notta get no respect on this forum, because he ain't earned his stripes yet, Hey Dana, you gotta drive a bigga 4wd landcruiserpatrol b4 u get ny respect from these morons

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897723

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 12:43

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 12:43
Other then media reports i’ve heard it’s hard to know the real details of what actually occurred....but it always astounds me when i’m on the island how some parents let thier kids wander around away from adults with the wild dogs / dingos there...bet they wouldn’t do that in Africa with the wild dogs they have in thier game parks.
AnswerID: 624185

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 12:59

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 12:59
That's my point; why we should call dingoes wolfs. It would game respect even from most ignorant people.
FollowupID: 897597

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:28

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:28
Dana,
Why call an animal that is not a wolf, a wolf? Would you call a Hyena a wolf as well? Your logic does not make sense. A Dingo is not a wolf, it is a Dingo. Dingos are dangerous animals and need to be treated as such. Education is what is required, not changing a name.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897613

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:22

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:22
Agree Macca, no logic at all.
FollowupID: 897620

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderer - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 00:50

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 00:50
If dingo's are dangerous, Macca, why are they allowed to be kept as pets in NSW an WA.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897722

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 08:00

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 08:00
Ok, OutBack Wanderer, I’ll bite, it is actually legal to keep dingos as pets in most states in Australia, the exceptions being S.A. Qld & Tasmania. However, you do need special permits in theses states, and meet certain conditions, with NSW being the only exception where no special conditions or permits are required.

That does not mean they are not dangerous, any canine given the right circumstances can be dangerous. How many loving pets have been responsible for attacking people including their own family members in their own home?

I am not anti dingo, I actually made serious inquiries regarding owning a dingo as a pet about 30 years ago, but did not want to meet the strict requirements at the time. I did not feel it would be fair on the dingo to be kept in a cage in a suburban back yard, as this was the requirement back then.

I have not, and will not advocate the needless wholesale culling of any animal, but there are times when culling certain individual animals becomes necessary.

As far as your other comments with regard to vehicle ownership, I fail to see the relevance to the subject of dingos.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897730

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 13:00

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 13:00
There's no easy answer. As a kid in the 70's, when forestry ran the island the dingos scavenged open dumps, fishing leftovers and brumby carcasses (they got sand cholic and had high mortality rates). We were lucky to see them, but heard them at night howling.
QNPWS took over and the dingo's way of life changed quickly. Throughout the 80's locals would remember them becoming dangerous pests around the Orchid Beach trading post and around Eurong from people feeding them.
These days it is more about the mentality of young tourists who just want to get their instagram photo and have zero respect for the bigger picture. I would love to know how the interaction occurred, but I reckon I can guess. Anyone who has also camped at Trial Bay - South West Rocks over the years will acknowledge the roos there are becoming pushy which will result in injuries - again due to people feeding them for a picture.
The dingos (officially neither dog nor wolf) are certainly a victim of poor overall management, and larger tourist numbers - I do not purport to have any answers though. There is a proposal to fence off Sandy cape and leave them up there but I don't see that as feasible.
AnswerID: 624186

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 13:53

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 13:53
All I written would help in preservation of those unfortunate animals.
Of-cause it doesn't eliminate stupid behavior of some people.
There is good link about dingoes:

Dingo - neither dog or wolf
FollowupID: 897601

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:24

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:24
Strange thing to do..... suggest calling dingos "wolves" then offering a "good link about dingos" that opens with... "The dingo has been given its own species status, recognising that it is not descended from dogs or wolves."

I think that Danna's post is based more on emotion than good understanding.

There is a considerable amount of dingo advice presented to Fraser Island visitors.
Most of it commences with "Do not feed" and follows with "Do not turn your back and run away". If these visitors had observed even the most basic of the presented advice then they would not have had a problem.
Here are some of the warning signs.
Dingo Warning Signs
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897605

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:06

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:06
I can see you point.
But average tourist would take different approach when he or she think of dingo being more wolf than dog.
Feeding dingoes on sites where tourists don't go would minimize their wondering around areas where there is no food to gain.
FollowupID: 897609

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:18

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:18
But the Dingo is not a Wolf it is just an asian urban dog that has gone feral. Yes there is an argument that they should now be considered "native" but I dont believe that designation has been made by any one in authority despite your desires.
FollowupID: 897611

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:46

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:46
garrycol please read my tread ...... what I'm saying ......
FollowupID: 897615

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:56

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:56
I have - a dingo is not a wolf it is just a feral doggie.
FollowupID: 897640

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:28

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:28
Sorry Garrycol, a Dingo is not a “feral doggie”, it is its own subspecies.

Macca
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897655

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 17:50

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 17:50
Of Asian Urban Doggie
FollowupID: 897659

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:06

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:06
Danna
Not sure if you eat meat or not,mot australians do and other countries we supply food to also do. Seeing you have travelled a bit, in outback Australia there are landholders who raise cattle in thousands of square kilometres of country. At one station which I visit, just 1, at calving time the landholder can potentially incur a $300,000 loss of (calves which grow into saleable beasts) in just one week, 7 days, because of dingo pack attacks. Like most wild animals they know their territory and beyond and although scarce and often unseen, they arrive from many many kilometres away, and form a pack which start killing.
The dingo when in a pack, once killing begins on freshly born calves, the dingo packs keep killing and killing and killing, until all the newborn calves they can find in that area are dead.
The dingo's are not doing this for food as a couple of calves would satisfy many dingo's. I have seen 20 or so newborns claves freshly killed the night before. The dingo then says, wait until nighfall and we can do it again, and again, and again. If left to continue the breeder will have NO calves survive each year.
Let us have some empathy for the calves, the cattle and the beef producer too.
The landholder tries very hard to look after the herd. I have seen the effor they put in. You wouldn't even survive living there, let alone running a business.
They don't want to eliminate the dingo, they know the natural balance of where they run cattle and accept some loss as normal. Sometime the balance gets out of whack and some dingo's have to be removed. You mentioned 1080. Maybe that is why it is in some places. It is not everwhere though.
AnswerID: 624187

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:32

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 15:32
Well said RMD. This all warm and fuzzie attitude to dingoes just doesn’t go too well in the pastoral areas.

I think it’s confusing that one government department, the national parks , look after dingoes and every local government council in western areas pay people who bring in dingo scalps.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 897606

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:16

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:16
In my 18years (3months a year also) mostly off-road travel, I never seen or heard dingoes are killing machines like you describe them here. Yes, they do kill to eat, but you your self don't believe what you written here .... If you do, you really think dingo is worst predictor than crocodile ....................
FollowupID: 897610

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:46

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:46
Do yourself a favour and drive out through western Qld/nsw along the dog fence, say through hungerford etc through Cameron corner, you’ll see Roos and emus everywhere and a heap of roadkill. Then go out through Merty and onto the Strez into SA and you may as wel be on the moon. You’ll see the dingos only 50 yards off the road - but that’s all you’ll see. It really is that different.
FollowupID: 897616

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:47

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:47
Dana,

You are misinformed with regard to Dingos not being "killing machines" when calving season or lambing season comes around. Yes, they do kill to eat, but they also kill for the "thrill". If they just killed to eat, they would only kill one or two animals, not 10 or 15 in a night, several nights in a row. The crocodile on the other hand, will kill and eat, and not kill again for several days, so as far as being a worse predator, I think you cannot compare the two, they kill for different reasons.

As far as telling someone that they do not believe themselves what they have written shows a great deal of arrogance on your part. There are many people who have first hand knowledge of what a pack of Dingos can do to domestic stock. It has also been the subject of several documentaries.

Thee months a year of outback travel compared to someone who lives & works full time in the outback, I think I know who I'd rather take notice of.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897617

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:00

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:00
Danna
I don't know if you are using a predictive text machine/tablet thingy, but a predictor as you say, is different to a Predator isn't it?
A dingo is a Predator and does kill repatedly. Yes i do believe what I typed because I have seen the results. If you wish i can introduce you to many newborn calves ripped to pieces, always after the even unfortunately. Dingo's won't do it if you are there with the calf.

You must have a very dark tint on your vehicle windows not to see the Real World.

PS Sorry but I did make some small typos earlier. The content is true though, even if you refuse to believe it. Do you live in a big city?
FollowupID: 897624

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:29

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:29
Dear RMD, when you want to point out typing errors to other people, please read your own reply, so you your self don't make mistakes.
In English I is always capital letter not i and that's twice; and your Real Word is wrong too.
You main thread have mistakes as well,like "not,mot australians" but I will not go as far as pointing them all.
With this kind of approach from you, why would I bother!
FollowupID: 897634

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:56

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:56
Danna
Oh, I see, yours were not typing errors then.
If you made it correct first up then it would be a lot easier for everyone.

“You main thread have”? Your main thread has, is more better.

With ridiculous original comments which simply are not true, perhaps a real sensible think about reality would place things in perspective.
Most of us cannot believe you are serious, or anyone else with those points of view.
Talk to real people on the ground in those places you visit and learn!
FollowupID: 897643

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 20:24

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 20:24
Danna

Why do you think we have a dingo fence .. it's not for visitors to hang their washing on !!!! One of the longest fences in the world.

It is to protect sheep and cattle from them.

On Frazer Island, as almost every other person her has said, they have plenty of warning signs. I was once a frequent visitor to Frazer and followed their advice to the letter. I never had a problem.

If you think you have a better idea, I suggest you have a chat to Lindy Chamberlain. Dingos killed her young baby.
FollowupID: 897644

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 10:33

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 10:33
RMD , are you 100% sure its Dingo's and not Wild dogs ? A property 80km north of Muttaburra 'lost' 16,000 ..yes that's not a misprint / typing error .16,000 ewes and lambs in the 1 season 2015 to Wild Dogs , Trapping and shooting not 1 actual Dingo in the the packs .....
FollowupID: 897677

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:01

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:01
There are no cattle on Fraser Island to protect, but the blood line of the dingoes there is worth protecting.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 897679

Reply By: Greg J1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:52

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 16:52
I know it is virtually impossible to argue with an animal liberationist.

You say you only saw 4 dingoes in the desert on the bomb roads. I bet a hell of a lot more dingoes saw you. You say in very bad condition. Dingoes don’t go to the doggie wash like city dogs. A lean dingo is a healthy dingo. ( how is a big fat dingo going to run down a meal ?

Have you seen a LIVE calf being eaten by a dingo ? Where does a dingo start eating a calf ? From its arse. I have seen this. And you think 1080 is cruel.

18 three month trips in the bush and your an expert on dingoes. LOL. I’ve lived and worked most of my life in dingo country. They are not the cute n cuddly puppy dog you are making out. They are a very very efficient killing machine.

Cheers greg

AnswerID: 624191

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:14

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:14
I'm not animal liberationist. I regard dingo in bad condition when it's hair are fallen and you can see patches of bare skin and animal have problem to even run.
And what it make you so big expert on dingoes, when you obviously hate the animal. 1080 is cruel as it is not natural but man made.
FollowupID: 897619

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:41
So I got the first line in my reply wrong. You can argue with animal liberationists. You just can’t seem to get any common sense out of one.

I can assure you I am no expert on dingoes.I’m telling you what I have seen. It’s a bit hard to like dingoes when you have seen some of the things that they can do. I left a beautiful blue heeler tied up in my work camp one afternoon while I went off to do a job. I got back after dark to find my best mate had been torn apart by a pack of dingoes, so you are nearly right, I don’t like them but I won’t go as far as hate.

Your wasting your time arguing with me about dingoes. You better go and find yourself a softer target ok.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 897622

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:09

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:09
Danna
A dingo in bad condition? What is that exactly? Did you examine the animal closely?
Any you see may have the Mange, a natural skin condition, not man made, and seeing they don't visit a veterinary clinic very often it is unlikely to be treated as little puppies can be.

It is possible to bark up the wrong tree, Perhaps that is what is happening here. Is there a nice cuddly feral cat up that tree? It will be around the other side so you may miss it. They kill over 1,000,000 native Australian animals EVERY night. according to scientists. Yes, pussies galore.
FollowupID: 897625

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:09

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:09
Hi Danna

Just some info regarding 1080 poison.

It is a naturally occurring toxin in a number of Native Plant species.

1080 Reading

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 897626

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:31

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:31
Pellets are man made
FollowupID: 897635

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:28

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:28
Ok danna. Is this whole thing just a beat up?

Do you even know what a 1080 bait looks life ?

Pellets?

You are a fool.

A 1080 bait (. Omg for the fear of giving you information you can use on your next victim ).

A 1080 bait is a liquid solution injected into a piece of offal.

Some of the north western cattle stations drop 8 to 10 tonnes of 1080 baits out of a Cessna every year.

Maybe you should google it. I’m sure that’s where you are getting all your information from.

Omfg you are a idiot.

Cheers Greg.

Ps. 1080 baiting is a government controlled program.

FollowupID: 897641

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:53

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:53
Greg if you are not capable to write you comment without abuse, please do not write at all!
And yes, we have seen these bites in form of pellets as well as pieces of offal.
FollowupID: 897642

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderer - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:33

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:33
Greg, how do you know it was a pack of dingoes who killed your best mate.
AAs you said, you weren't there, why couldn't it be a pack of feral dogs.
if the 1080 baits are working why are more sheep and calves are continually killed? Could it be a pack of wild dogs, as these animals have been photographed on a sheep property in Baraba NSW

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897724

Reply By: Aussie1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:29

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:29
Anyone made a call to Lindy Chamberlain for an opinion.
AnswerID: 624193

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:10

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:10
The Ayers Rock dingo was a nice puppy too.
FollowupID: 897627

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:29

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:29
It is legal to keep Dingoes as pets in NSW.

I have met 2 , one just recently at the dog beach.

To me they are very like the Kampong dog that I had in Malaysia and share many traits. My dog was very aggressive towards snakes , killing 13 Cobras in our yard while we were there and also killed a Mongoose which was a pretty good effort. She used to lick our Rottweiler in the mouth which I understand is also a Dingo trait towards superior dogs.

I have found the pet Dingoes to be similar. The bitches do not like to be touched around their hindquarters, they are quite selective on who they will approach and are quite shy. The woman who owned the second dingo stated she had to keep it on a leash more because of people's fear than reality. The dingo played with my daughters whippets well with no animosity.

Wild dogs are just as bad as dingoes in the bush and I understand even more "thrill Killers" than dingoes.

Of Course many pet dingoes are returned , or put down because they love a chicken, as do foxes.
With regard to feeding, I believe that this creates unsustainable populations who then depend on tourists. The mother of my nephew's wife lived at Happy Valley and used to feed a dozen of them until forced to stop by National Parks under threat of heavy fines.
I have seen bad behavior towards Dingoes on Fraser. People kicking sand in their faces when they approach for food. I recall one incident when I saw a couple of children approach some pups near the ferry landing with the mother dingo in the background. The next day there was a report of children being bitten. I don't know if it was the same incident but it was likely and stupid.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 624194

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:38

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:38
Thank you Rangiephil for intelligent reply.
FollowupID: 897621

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:10

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:10
Hi Danna, You failed to thank me for my intelligent reply. I believe Lindy Chamberlain had far more closer contact/experience than you have ever had.
FollowupID: 897628

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 17:41
Danna,

You say that in "17500km’s travel" on desert roads you have only seen "4 dingos".
I can only suggest that you should use a lighter shade of tint on your car windows.
Every year I travel on those roads and could not keep count of the number of dingos I see. Believe me, they are out there aplenty. But yes, the density is higher on Fraser Island.

The investigations, studies, debates, proposals, conservation strategies, and arguments regarding the dingos of Fraser Island have been going on for many decades. There are more "experts" on dingos than there are visitors to the island. You may do well to research some of this published information before proposing your somewhat unusual ideas publicly.
If you feel very compassionate toward dingos then perhaps join one of the dingo welfare groups such as the Australian Dingo Foundation.

I believe that many Fraser Island visitors would not even understand the relevance of a "wolf" any more than that of a "dingo". But even so, we cannot just rename an animal simply to draw attention to it. Perhaps you could consider ways to get visitors to read and heed the advice on the many visitation websites and erected signs.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 624195

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:13

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:13
I too thought the window tint may be the base problem.
FollowupID: 897630

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:24

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:24
Danna was talking about bomb roads. I can remember in one of lens books he shot dingos and pegged the scalps out to dry on the clay pan.

Our council still accepts dingo scalps as long as they have been dried and salted to stop the stink. From memory $50 ? a scalp.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 897632

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:04

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:04
These days you are more likely to be encountering ‘wild dogs’ rather than full blood dingoes, but maybe that is splitting hairs.

I suspect Fraser Island is different in that many (most?) are pure dingoes due to their isolation over a long period.

But call them whatever you like, just recognise that wild animals are just that and require respect and should be kept at a distance.

Fraser Island has plenty of warnings and tragically a history of injury and death inflicted by them.

Should ‘rogue’ dingoes on Fraser be euthanised? I guess the answer to that lies in the approach taken with domestic dogs that have inflicted serious injury, whether that is the right approach will most likely polarise people.

But the pragmatist in me says that on Fraser the tourist dollar will carry far greater weight than the ‘rights’ of the dingo...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 624197

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:40

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:40
Thank you for intelligent post
FollowupID: 897636

Reply By: Genny - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:49

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 18:49
I am all for dangerous animals being reminded who the peak predator is.
In the natural balance of things, generally only food/water supply serves as a natural brake on animal populations.
Unless we send a firm message, in the only language the animal understands, there will always be incidents of this nature.
We had a crack at removing the brumbies didn't we?
AnswerID: 624203

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:17

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:17
A year or so ago I spent 2-3 days with a mate at Seal Rocks NSW, and each morning we set out on our early morning walk (~ 7am) through the bush to the southern end of Lighthouse Beach and then return along the beach itself.

Within a minute of stepping onto the beach a pack of 3 dingoes popped out onto the beach and stayed about 100m behind us all the way to the northern end whereupon they returned to the bush.

They didn't threaten or attack but my pal told me that when he does the walk on his own they come to within 30-50m and so he usually carries a hunk of wood as a persuader, thankfully never actually needed.

They have a reputation for being "cowardly" so it does pay to be "alert if not alarmed".
AnswerID: 624204

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 20:44

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 20:44
I think it's a bad idea for rangers to be feeding dingos....completely stupid in fact. I also think that we have to trust the same rangers to act responsibly in protecting both dingos and dumb arse tourists. If a few dingos are going rogue, then perhaps they need putting down. The rangers are in no way suggesting that all dingos on the island need to be killed. Calling them wolves is also a dumb idea.
Knowing rangers as I do, I'll wager the decision to kill a few problem animals was not taken lightly or with any enjoyment.
AnswerID: 624208

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 20:58

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 20:58
Further to MichaelH9’s comment about feeding dingoes

If they are fed then they will artificially thrive and breed , reaching what sort of population??

Danna,
you need to have a really good think about how the dingo population on Fraser Island needs to be managed.
So far what I have read , you are not realistic. And the fact that , I think no one is agreeing with you should point to you being probably WRONG!

AnswerID: 624209

Reply By: Athol W1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:30

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:30
When I was first visiting Fraser Island, in the mid 1980's, there was not a Dingo to be seen anywhere. This was a time when the island was approximately 50% Forestry and 50% National Parks managed, and there were Brumbies on the island.

I, and my family, visited Fraser Island generally 2 or 3 times a year during the 80's and 90's, and I can only recall one occasion seeing any Dingo's on a track prior to about 2000, and that was on the track that is now the out road from Lake McKenzie. It was equally as rare to see any Dingos on the beach.

As a result of the activities of the FIDO (Fraser Island Defenders Organisation) group the island was transferred to National Parks management, and in true National Parks practice they proceeded to remove anything that was not native to the area, and so the Brumbies had to go. This is when the Dingo's started to multiply, as they no longer had any predator to contend with. The Dingos also controlled the Brumby numbers, so each kept the other in balance.

ANY artificial feeding, be it by the tourists or by National Parks Rangers, will further interfere with the natural checks and balances that normally control any wild animal population.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 624211

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:50

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:50
Anthology W1, I was on Fraser Island in the mid 90’s when you could still camp at Lake McKenzie. The Dingos around the Lake McKenzie campground were a real problem at the time, raiding camps to steal food. We were advised to ensure we put all our food, containers, and rubbish well out of reach of the dingos and to ensure we secured everything, as they were very adept at opening plastic containers. We saw at least 3 different dingos at Lake McKenzie, plus more at Dundabarra. Basically, anywhere where people gathered of camped, there were dingos around.

On a later visit to the island in 2012, we saw less dingos than when we were there in the 90’s.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897657

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 20:17

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 20:17
Recall back in the 90’s they had the metal cages at camp areas like the old Central Station campground, purely to stop dingos raiding your supplies...so it’s not like they weren’t around then.
FollowupID: 897661

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:34

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:34
Danna
If you are 18, then you are just, possibly just coming out of school where indoctrination of students to skewed ways of thinking is utilized to brainwash the young and get them to think like many teachers/activists and uni lecturers do. They have agendas, not sensible, wholesome or ecologically balanced. Warped viewpoints and often extremism is often used on the young. If it wasn't, then most activists wouldn't have a cause to pursue.
Are you a product of this sort of mind bending?
Reading, learning from all sources and especially observation of real life will see a normal mind then believe reality.
AnswerID: 624212

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 08:07

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 08:07
With a bloody stupid statement like that RMD I,m hope you never go near kids and start teaching them your views of the world!!
FollowupID: 897646

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 08:40

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 08:40
Bigfish
Sorry, but that is not stupid at all. It is what really happens country wide in our schools and tertiary educations where most teachers and lecturers have a leaning to one side of politics and deliver that to young minds. It is specifically done for control of the population, many of whom grow up never realizing there is a whole different and democratic world out there. One political party controls many many facets of our society to the detriment of all. Some just don't/won't realize it.
If you only knew what went on in so called education, it is sad you don't.
FollowupID: 897647

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 09:28

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 09:28
I think your ignorance is unlimited. My sister -in-law is a high school principle and 2 of my neighbours are school teachers. One for prep teaching and the other a state school teacher. Now I don't always agree with their ideologies or some of their outlooks on life but I do not doubt their dedication to their students and the work they put in to trying to make each student a capable and knowledgeable part of our society when they leave school. The amount of after hours interaction with students is also nothing to be forgotten. Sounds to me that you are a bitter, twisted soul who should be concentrating on enjoying life instead of ranting about stuff that you have limited knowledge of.
FollowupID: 897648

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 13:27

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 13:27
On the other hand...RMD

One can only speculate on the age and how Danna has formulated his/her view. But the commentary you offered does sound like something straight out of the "shock-jocks playbook"...

And whilst there might be elements of what you suggest within our education system that many might want to prosecute for their own purposes, I say that for the most part the young adults I come across in the normal course of my day have well thought out view points on the world.

Long-live our learning institutions as fortresses of critical thinking and learning for future generations, even if we don't always agree...

After all, imagine a world of Alan Jones clowns, Um, clones that is...!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 897650

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 13:58

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 13:58
I know this is not directly about a Fraser dingo but thank you Bigfish and Baz for the replies.
Having neighbours and/or sister in law as teachers isn't an observation of what political forces are a strong undercurrent in education. We are not questioning teachers dedication to student learning and work load of teachers, simply questioning if the one sided political forces allowed to be in schools is what is good for the balanced development of mouldable young minds. I was in education for a while and you would be stunned at what one side of politics makes available to schools for their own ends. It isn't aimed at a skills development at all. The ability of students to receive an unbiased/balanced view is certainly challenging. Fortunately good families produce sensible young people. They are our hope for the future.
FollowupID: 897651

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 12:34

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 12:34
Hi Danna,
Thanks for posting your feelings about this issue and for making your own suggestions and sparking debate. As you can see just from our audience response, the issue is rather complex and won't be fixed easily.

As always, people on Forums might not always agree with one another but healthy debate is always welcome on relevant and current issues that affect or concern us as travellers.

We must remember however, that if we disagree with others, to do so with so respect. It is unfair and unwarranted to nit pick about spelling and grammar - if you don't understand due to ESL (English as a Second Language) or notice a completely wrong word (perhaps predictive text typos) etc then don't reply.

I urge you all to continue to debate these issues but please do not fall into the trap of name-calling, and nit picking. We don't want to shut down posts or delete comments - and we don't want to alienate people from posting controversial subject matter - you just have to learn how to deal with it or not get involved. Your choice.

Please remember this Forum is for you and you are responsible for how the debates play out.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624218

Follow Up By: Danna - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:28

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 16:28
Dear Michelle Martin Customer Support
Please, take my post down.
Before I posted my tread, I never realize, there will be names calling, pointing out spelling and general hate from some people against me!
Thank you.
FollowupID: 897654

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 17:52

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 17:52
Welcome to the world of ExplorOz
FollowupID: 897660

Follow Up By: Danna - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:13

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:13
Dear Michelle Martin
I asked you yesterday to take my post off. Please, please, take my post down. You have responsibility, please don't skip it! I can be as vitriolic as those rude people here, but I'm against that kind behavior.
Further, you can be sure I will never come to this site ever again. Please, take me OFF your subscription.
FollowupID: 897698

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 18:05

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 18:05
Danna, we have considered your request to remove this post, and decided to leave it here. You, in fact no-one, should be able to put up a post, argue the point with many posters and then request the post be taken down when things don’t turn out as they had thought.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897702

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:48

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:48
I've read all the posts again and there's only one post that directly calls Danna a "name". Surely disagreeing with the ideas suggested isn't classed as name calling? Should I apologise for saying something is a dumb idea? Smart people regularly have dumb ideas, we all do. Insulting the idea isn't insulting the person. It all seems a bit precious to me, but that is the time we live in. Let's all stop posting just in case.
FollowupID: 897708

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:53

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:53
I agree Michael.
I already did stop posting..... yesterday.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897709

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:58

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:58
I think you meant tomorrow Allan haha!
FollowupID: 897710

Follow Up By: Danna - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 20:51

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 20:51
Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:28
"Omfg you are a idiot."
Mrs. Martin
If you like to be called an idiot so be it, but I don't.
FollowupID: 897713

Follow Up By: Hewy54 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 21:32

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 21:32
Yes you are correct.
That particular person called you an idiot and a fool.
I believe he was out of line.
However, after re-reading all posts, this seems to be the only one where you have been insulted - out of 60 responses.

Many disagree with your views, but there is nothing wrong with that. Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed with each other.

May be time to toughen up a bit, and simply ignore that one derogatory comment.
FollowupID: 897716

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 13:00

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2019 at 13:00
Hello

Something I didnt know but culling of dingoes on Fraser Island appears to be a common occurence and part of their ongoing "management"...(e.g. "A total of 110 dingoes were destroyed between 2001 and 2013")

Allen, B. L., Higginbottom, K., Bracks, J. H., Davies, N., and Baxter, G. S. (2015). Balancing dingo conservation with human safety on Fraser Island: the numerical and demographic effects of humane destruction of dingoes. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management 22, 197–215.

Abstract

"Australian dingoes are threatened by interbreeding with domestic dogs. As a refuge from further interbreeding, the conservation significance of dingoes on Fraser Island is unquestioned. However, some dingoes presenting genuine human safety risks are humanely destroyed. In this study, we explore the potential effects of this on the sustainability of the island's dingo population. Dingo abundance was 76–171 adult individuals during the mating (pre-whelping) season of 2012. A total of 110 dingoes were destroyed between 2001 and 2013. Approximately 66 per cent of known-age dingoes destroyed were <18 months old and 65 per cent of known-gender dingoes destroyed were male. In any given year, no more than four female dingoes of any age were destroyed during dingoes' annual mating and whelping seasons. On only one occasion was an adult (and subordinate) female dingo destroyed during this period. Available data therefore indicate that the spatially and temporally variable removal of so few female and/or adult animals from a population of this size is highly unlikely to have adverse effects on dingo population growth rates or breeding success. Adverse effects of humane destructions might be expected to increase if a substantially greater proportion of adult and/or female dingoes are targeted for destruction in the future."

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624219

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 16:20

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 16:20
It seems that may be dingo's, foxes are actually more cunning than smart for a good reason because they get into killing frenzies and deplete their area of a sustainable food sorce where as crocs for example look after theirs.

So then they have to be more mobile with the exception of Fraser where the food comes to them either by idiots handing out scraps or making a target of themself. In some cases both are to be blamed but once they think they can take down large prey (humans) you won't stop them trying again.

As far as them being classed as native for purposes of potecting them no because then some less educated do gooder will want all other introduced species to have that right in time like cane toads, rabbits, foxes etc.
AnswerID: 624253

Reply By: Gramps - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:35

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:35
Well done gentlemen. It seems you've driven away a contributor who's been on here since 2012 or thereabouts. Hope you're proud of yourselves.

Regards
AnswerID: 624255

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:43

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:43
Please no generalising Gramps.
There were many replies that were civil, even though there were simply bit too many that agreed.
But let’s hope Danna a bit thicker skinned than she thinks and will stick around.
FollowupID: 897700

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:52

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 17:52
"Generalising" - I don't think so Les. The posters I'm referring to are well and truly known for their patronising attitudes and passive aggressive bullying.

Readers can form their own opinions about this thread but if they don't speak up about what they feel is wrong with it, the behaviour will continue.

Regards
FollowupID: 897701

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:11

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 19:11
It looked like generalisation of ‘gentlemen contributors’.
Of course the few posts actually name calling and quite a few patronising replies probably did upset Danna, but maybe she will stick around.
FollowupID: 897707

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderer - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:59

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:59
This post from Dana was exactly what I replied in the post Personal Attacks. Unless you speak perfect English, you have no chance in hell of getting an honest answer because they will be too busy pointing out the English mistakes and grammar.

So what Dana maybe made a fool of herself, but I defended Dana I think twice, not because of her reality in life is a bit obscured, but through the mentality of the members answers

It's a poor World if we go through life as perfect

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897725

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 14:42

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 14:42
As a result of Danna deleting their profile today, I am going to lock this post now.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624267

Sponsored Links