Haddon Corner to Innamincka

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 21:58
ThreadID: 137984 Views:5073 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
For the intrepid travellers that have done these roads … generally speaking .. which of the roads is better south of Arrabury Station - Cordillo Downs (i.e. in South Australia) or the Nappa Merrie road (in QLD) . I realise conditions change but sometimes people have an opinion one way or the other.
cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 23:14

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 23:14
Haven’t done the Cordillo road yet, Suitcase, but been along the Arrabury road in Nov ‘15. For much of it, it was good, fast gravel, bit stony in places but easy do 80-90 kms. One stretch of fine, white gravel was particularly smooth, with some shady Minnaritchie that made a good dinner camp for me.

Met a couple in Innamincka that morning, with a little Jeep & tandem caravan, that were going through Cordillo and onto Birdsville.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624503

Reply By: sweetnam - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2019 at 07:05

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2019 at 07:05
Have done the Haddon Corner to Innamincka twice and both times very different. In the wet it was very tough going - especially going out to Haddon's itself
AnswerID: 624507

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2019 at 08:47

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2019 at 08:47
EDIT - sorry, ignore that, I was going north not south.
Either for me south of Arrabury.
Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 624509

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:44

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:44
Hi Suitcase, we travelled the Nappa Merrie Rd in April last year. Road was in pretty good condition then. Was also there a couple of years earlier, and the road had not changed much over the intervening time, so I would hazard a guess and say it is somewhat maintained. Fairly easy going, not too many corrugations. We also stayed at The Dig Tree camping ground. Shady spots on the Coopers Creek, drop toilet, but a fair walk from the campground. The track out to the corner itself is a bit stoney & rough, with two sand dunes to climb. These dunes are not steep, and quit easy to get over.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624514

Reply By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 09:08

Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 09:08
Thanks everyone - so how "doable" is Dig Tree to Windorah in a day with a side trip into Haddon Corner. Towing a 12' off-road van.
cheers
Suitcase

AnswerID: 624532

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:03

Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:03
The short answer is yes. You are looking at a total of approx. 403 kms from Windorah to The Dig Tree, add to that approx. 10 kms into Haddons Corner & return, so approx. 423 kms in total. Timing will depend on how fast you are travelling. The Diamantina Developmental Road between Windorah & Canterbury (114 kms) is sealed, so you should make good time on this leg.

At Canterbury, you take a left onto the Birdsville Developmental Road, this is mostly good high speed (80 - 90 kph) gravel road, and follow this for approx. 42 kms, then take a left onto the Planet Downs/Arabury Road.

Follow this road for approx. 40 kms and you will come to the Haddons Corner turn off (right turn). It is not well marked, so keep a look out for it. This is more like a track than a road, and depending on the weather can be quite rutted. The two sand dunes are right near the end of the track, and are fairly easy to get over, even with an Off Road Van. We did it with a Goldstream Off Road Camper a few years ago.

Returning to Planet Downs/Arabury Road, turn right and follow this for approx. 88 kms. and turn left onto Arabury Road. Follow this all the way to the Innamincka Road, approx. 103 kms and turn right. There are a couple of spectacular views along this road at a couple of steep jump ups, these sections are sealed. The condition of the Planet Downs & Arabury gravel road varies depending on the weather, but we found it in fairly good condition the four times we have used it.

The road out to the Dig Tree is just past this intersection.The Dig Tree Campground is a pay at the gate envelope honesty system. The local landowner does come out and check to see who has paid and who hasn't from time to time, so be warned, if you do not pay, you are very likely to get caught. Plan to spend an hour checking out the Dig Tree and surrounding monuments, we tend to do this in the morning of the following day. You can then push on to Innamincka approx. 56 kms of both sealed & unsealed road. As this is a mining area, there can be some fairly large trucks on the road, and the gravel sections can be corrugated. Just before Innamincka there is a turn off to the right that takes you to Burkes Memorial where his body was located. Just out of Innamincka on the way to Goongie Lakes is Wills Grave.

If you don't have a Hema Australia Road & 4WD Atlas, I strongly recommend you get one, even if you have an Off Road Navigator (Hema or other). It is an extremely useful tool when planning trips.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898031

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:16

Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:16
Thanks Macca
It's been some years since I've been out there - so that news is good - thanks for that.
We use Oziexplorer with EOTopo maps - it think they will show us the right way.
cheers
Suitcase

FollowupID: 898033

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:51
Wedding it in2017 towing an exodus 11 and stopped for lunch and also to Haddons corner. We came from innamincka so a little further than from dig tree at nappa Marrie.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

FollowupID: 898039

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 15:10

Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 15:10
Sorry Suitcase, I misread your post with regard to which direction you are travelling. Doing the Dig Tree to Windorah is just the reverse directions to what I wrote earlier.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898042

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 00:40

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 00:40
Beautiful country out that way Nappa Merri worked out there years ago. Wondering what van u got. Looking for small one too as low tow capacity on my Hux, cheers enjoy ya trip.
AnswerID: 624732

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 17:32

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 17:32
North coast campers 12’
Suitcase

FollowupID: 898247

Sponsored Links