Update suspension on 2018 Mazda BT50 dual cab?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 10:49
ThreadID: 138084 Views:4683 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have kept your stock suspension on the 2018 Mazda BT50 dual cab 4x4 and been happy with it. What conditions do you drive in?
I'm looking to do 4WD-ing through the Blue Mountains, Simpson Desert, Cape York and others.

?? I got a quote for Ironman Suspension Lift kit for $2,464 supplied and fitted. (Foam Cell Pro struts/shocks, performance front & rear springs, wheel alignment).

Anybody have experience with the quality of the Ironman suspension kits?

Cheers & thanks,
Paul??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 11:48

Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 11:48
Have an Ironman GVM upgrade kit fitted to our 2015 Landcruiser s/c ute.

Standard foam cell shocks have lasted for over 75K kms, and I’m just about to change to the Foamcell Pro’s before a Simpson/Madigan trip, then a CSR trip later in August. Have used the Pro’s on a previous L/C ute.

Front coils have been good but the rear springs sagged, and have recently found out they were only 400kg constant. Did carry a pallet of pavers for 600kms once, so mightn’t be entirely the springs fault. On the advice of a bloke, also with an Ironman kit, have just upgraded to a set of 600kg constants.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624710

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 12:41

Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 12:41
No experience with Ironman, but if you haven't committed to buy yet....

I have a Lovells GVM upgrade to 3500kg on my 2014 BT50, with Dobinson remote canister shocks all round. I use the weight - with the service canopy and fitout, our stuff and the towball weight it tours at about 3200kg. After 80,000km could not be happier.

Supplied and fitted by Network Automotive in Minto, NSW. Great after sales service with periodic checks and re-grease all FOC.

Usual disclaimer, just a satisfied customer.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624711

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 14:13

Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 14:13
I have a 2014, but found the stock springs way too soft to actually carry a moderate load on poor roads.

I binned them within the first 2000km and fitted Toughdog springs in the rear with the factory shocks as I'm not made of money and they still worked.

I kept the stock front end as it worked well enough until I put a bull bar on, then the springs didn't cope well and got replaced.
AnswerID: 624713

Reply By: paulblue - Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 15:16

Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 15:16
Hi,
Many thanks to you all for your reply.
I had the snorkel fitted at purchase – just picked the car up yesterday!
I'm looking at getting: canopy; alloy bullbar; roof-racks; 7-inch lights; recovery points; towbar; Maxtrax (or similar); flag; compressor; battery charger etc. Also, communications – UHF radio and satellite phone.
Because long range touring will be once a year at most, I could probably(?) do without the long range fuel tank and just supplement fuel needs with a couple of fuel-safe jerry cans.
I'll also try doing without drawers for the moment – although I can see them getting a look-in down the track.

Lots of options to consider – thanks once again!

Cheers & Regards,
Paul
AnswerID: 624714

Reply By: nickb - Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 21:26

Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 21:26
For $2500 you have pretty much the choice of any suspension setup. Any reason you want to go Ironman?

For what it’s worth, I was given the option of Dobinson, EFS and Lovells/Bilstein for the same money. I chose Lovells/Bilstein and so far I’m very happy.
AnswerID: 624719

Reply By: Member - Supersi - Sunday, Mar 31, 2019 at 20:58

Sunday, Mar 31, 2019 at 20:58
If you’re upgrading your suspension consider paying that little bit more and getting a gvm upgrade. From my experience with both a Ranger and a BT you will likely need it.
AnswerID: 624726

Reply By: paulblue - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 03:59

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 03:59
I have only got the one quote so far for suspension upgrade. I will be shopping around. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 624734

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 07:14

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 07:14
After breaking the eye off an OME front shocker on the ranger last trip Kimberley a consideration would be the Dobinson shock absorber looks like a much stronger construction than others . I on the other hand have got the Ironman Pro shock absorber now which are good option as well I hope
Heavy construction I would be steering away from your more conventional type of shock absorber if travelling in remote rough locations .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624756

Sponsored Links