Cordillo Downs Woolshed to be repaired this year

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 15:50
ThreadID: 138100 Views:4570 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
From the ABC North and West facebook page:

" The largest woolshed of its kind in the world will get a face-lift this year, thanks to some handy work from training stonemasons.

The 136-year-old Cordillo Downs Station woolshed, near Innamincka in the state's remote far north, lost part of its roof in a freak storm two years ago.

A team of tradespeople will work on the building in June while learning traditional methods of preserving historic sites.

HSR Australia Project Manager, Mitch Cleghorn, said it will be exciting to see the start of the shed’s restoration.

"These places really tell a story about the way we lived in the landscape historically," Mr Cleghorn said.

"They can be conduits for knowledge and information, they're a way to interact with our past and they sort of have this unity and identity written into their very fabric."

The project is a collaboration between HSR Australia, Construction Industry Training Board (South Australia), Applied Building Conservation Training and Environment SA News.

Flinders University heritage conservation students will also journey to the shed to undertake further analysis."

Cordillo Downs Conservation Rescue website
Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 20:52

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 20:52
Was reading about this the other day...nice to read the building will get the TLC it’s been crying out for, it was looking pretty average several years ago when I was last there.
AnswerID: 624770

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2019 at 01:38

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2019 at 01:38

Great workmanship..
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624773

Reply By: pmk03 - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 10:51

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 10:51
Here's a short video of one of our visits there back in 2007
Love this part of the country -
Didn't know it had been damaged,Glad it's being restored.
Probably be back up that way later in the year
Don't be too critical of the video we're no pro's

https://youtu.be/vKQzJBI9uW8

Cheers
Paul
AnswerID: 624798

Reply By: Member - Rustygq - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 14:46

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 14:46
Great to see this great icon getting some tlc

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624803