Engel wont work on 12V or 240V

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 11, 2019 at 21:53
ThreadID: 138147 Views:10948 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have an old Engel fridge that won't run on either 12 or 240. When i plug either lead in i hear a click inside but the power light won't come on. The light was turning on very briefly then dimming out. Any ideas? The fridge was working a few days ago no worries on 12V.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 07:53

Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 07:53
First of all, check the onboard fuse, usually located adjacent to the power connectors. Unlikely to be the power cords themselves as both 240v and 12v are affected, but try a borrowed cable anyway.
If the fuse is OK, the chances are that the internal power board has cooked. The replacement cost is around $400, so the vintage of your fridge becomes the greatest issue when considering repair or replacement.

The power board on my fridge was fried when a 12v power cord become jammed and shorted out. The cord itself fused, blew the fuses in the cord, fridge and battery supply, but the power board was still damaged and required replacement. The fridge wouldn't run on either voltage modes.
As the fridge was still relatively current (the model before digital display) it was a no brainer to spend $400 rather than buy a new fridge.
Some years later and my now "oldish" Engel is chugging along very nicely on either 12v or 240v.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624899

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 08:38

Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 08:38
Perhaps the power unit has failed. It is an inverter and can fail and draw heavy current and blow a fuse, therefore the fuse replacement may not fix the issue. If faulty the solid state switching will turn on and try to alternate it’s state to make the solenoid work. There is no motor.

I can’t see how a cord AND three protection fuses in a row can all blow in the one fridge. Fuses are there to appropriately blow if a fault occurs but once a fuse has opened there is no flow to blow successive fuses.
I have an Engel made just before they fitted fans to them. It has no fuse and only 2 inlet plugs in a sealed box which outputs alternative direction pulses to the pump solenoid.
FollowupID: 898476

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 09:39

Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 09:39
You will find it will be the main internal power supply that operates both 12 and 240 volts, both leads are individual .

Depending where you get it fixed, around $300 to $400

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624900

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 09:41

Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 09:41
It did!
The 12v lead became squashed in the back tub.
Maybe it was progressive, but not only did the internal power board fry and all fuses blow but the twin engel power lead fused itself together.
I was lucky in a way, getting off with just a replacement power board, new 12v Engel lead and fuses, including the main output fuse inside my Flyer Battery Box.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 624901

Reply By: Glen M3 - Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 22:32

Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 22:32
Not sure how old your fridge is but it f it has an LCD temp display and it is not displaying replace the battery for it.
My Engel won’t work unless the display is working.
A $5 fix.
AnswerID: 624924

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 23:54

Friday, Apr 12, 2019 at 23:54
Hi Glen

The LCD display on an Engel will have nothing to do with a fridge not running on 12 or 240 volts.

The LCD display is independent of the main power supply and the fridge will still run weather the display is working or not.

The only situation where this has changed is in the newer “Digital” models, where there is no battery any more (CR2032) and the display which is now red in colour will only work when there is power to the fridge, either 12 or 240 v

Cheers

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898483

Sponsored Links