Gibb River Road Conditions Currently

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 14, 2019 at 19:15
ThreadID: 138162 Views:4330 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Pulled into Derby today after several days on the Gibb River road from Kununurra. The road was in excellent condition,pretty big roadworks going on just east of the Durack river. Home Valley station is closed for wet season till May 1st, Ellenbrae is still closed (was hoping to get some lovely scones there).
I traveled up the Kalumburu road to Drysdale river station to camp a few days,but was informed by the bloke that it too was closed because the Kalumburu Rd was still not officially open(no signs at the turnoff to say road was closed,it was in great condition also.) Very dry along there,The Gibb River had no water on the causeway. I ended up Bush camping all along the way at some great little spots,especially on the east bank of the Durack. Cheers,Sparra.[Image cannot be loaded]
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John B108 - Friday, May 03, 2019 at 22:58

Friday, May 03, 2019 at 22:58
Evening Sparta
Although it is not recommended, I want to take my Landcruiser 200 td and 18ft Golf Outback over the GRR in late June. Were there any/many vans on the road and are any of the places you stopped at suitable for vans. We are self contained and independent. My van has high clearance and heavy duty suspension. Would be grateful for any comment or advice you care to offer.
JohnB108
AnswerID: 625341

Follow Up By: Member - sparra - Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 10:14

Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 10:14
G,day John,I only saw one other vehicle with a van,a 200 series with a pretty big van,it was still a bit early in the season hence not many people around at all. By the end of June I don’t think the road would be in as good condition as it was when I come through but all the station stays will be open,Home valley,Ellenbrae etc. There is some bush camping on the east bank of the Durack River,Just follow the track in a few hundred metres. Hope this helps.Cheers
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 898976

Reply By: Mark C11 - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2019 at 00:48

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2019 at 00:48
Just finished the GRR today. As posted above, every crossing is as dry as a bone, even the Pentacost. Most of the gorges are still very swimmable but not flowing as hard (Bell still has a bit of a waterfall as does Emma). Conditions from El Questro to Mt B are pretty ordinary with some big corragations starting to form. From Bell gorge to Derby it’s like a highway. Saw a few Nissan x trails and a Volvo going from Derby to Mt B, no sure how they will hold up much further. Not a single puncture on our car, an NT Pajero running Cooper ST Max. Just drive to the conditions.
AnswerID: 626483

Sponsored Links