To Cameron Corner

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:11
ThreadID: 138234 Views:5380 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to go to Cameron Corner in a Hyundai i40 Tourer in few days time travelling from Broken Hill. Not knowing the condition of the roads, can it be done with such a car? Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Merilyn H - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:29

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:29
Stick to the main roads and you'll be fine. Remember to take it steady as you won't be on bitumen and avoid driving early morning, late afternoon because of wildlife. If there was a rare event of heavy rain you should give it a miss. Pack extra water and food, just in case. You will not have phone reception so don't rely on that in an emergency, although there are plenty of people heading out that way. Check at the tourist information centre on road conditions before you go.
Enjoy it, it is a great part of the world.
AnswerID: 625206

Reply By: Erad - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 16:26

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 16:26
Years ago, we were out there - magic place. We went from Tiboorburra to Camerons Corner to Innaminca in a near new Pajero. No problems. We came over the crest of a sand dune and saw coming towards us a 4 year old front wheel drive Nissan Pintara with about 100 mm ground clearance, towing a 12 ft back door caravan.coming up the dune. I pulled over as far as I could to give them room, and was checking the left passenger door mirror as they went past. My wife said "That was a woman driving that rig, and she was on her own". We both agreed that her husband must have been feeling crook (seasick) and laying down because we were a bit that way ourselves with the dunes. When we got to Innaminca, the publican asked us which way we came, and we told him. "You didn't see a 74 year old woman with a caravan out there did you?" We told him that we had and that she was going OK. "Good" he said "We were a bit worried about her". When we got back to Tiboorburra, she was in the same caravan park, and apparently she did everything herself except reverse the rig. So it is possible to go out there with a standard car and enjoy it. Just drive to the conditions, and hope that it doesn't rain because you will be stuck for a while until things dry out again. But that applies to 4x4 vehicles as well.
AnswerID: 625208

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 18:23

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 18:23
Probably depends which way you go...if you think of going through Sturt National Park near Tibooburra (which is a nice drive and worth doing), there’s a nasty section of rocky road that’ll sort out any normal road going tyres.
AnswerID: 625209

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:09

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:09
The drive from Tibooburra to Cameron Corner through the Sturt NP (not towing) and found it one of the nicest drives of the area. Should have come back that way. The road was nothing special, and we had a blowout on the F250.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 898819

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 22:27

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 22:27
The bad rocky bits are on the eastern side roads into Tibooburra if I recall? I remember driving in from Wanaaring and going through a gibber field when getting closer to Tibooburra.
FollowupID: 898824

Follow Up By: Merilyn H - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 06:05

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 06:05
The Wanaaring Road is nasty on tyres, not a great road at all. But Broken Hill to Tib is bitumen.
FollowupID: 898828

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:32

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:32
The rocky section I was mentioning above is in the section of park between Tibooburra and Cameron Corner (worst of it at the Cameron Corner side past the camping area near the old homestead), we drove it September last year...was a really nice drive other then those rocks, but you get that sometimes, and decent tyres on fourby and camper meant no issues for us there. We didn’t visit the other half of the park sadly, so can’t comment on it, will get back there one day for a better look around.
FollowupID: 898845

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 12:13

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 12:13
We didn't find the road at all rocky the previous year Rumpig. I took frequent photos through the windscreen as we travelled. This is typical of the harder section of Middle Road, and we would have had no issues taking our caravan through, but as we were going to head into Queensland via Warri Gate we went to Cameron Corner on a day trip from Tibooburra leaving the caravan. The main road between Cameron Corner and Tibooburra was harsher on tyres.

The worst road in the area was the from Tibooburra to Warri Gate. Driving in Sturt was like 'a walk in the park'.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898849

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 17:56

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 17:56
I'd have no issue towing anything that had decent tyres on it along that road Motherhen ,the road itself wasn't hard by any means and is very easy going...was just mentioning the rocks as they would more then likely give a good chance of puncturing a standard cars road tyres (such as what the OP will Iikely be running I'd guess?)...people need to remember who asked the original question and what they are driving.
FollowupID: 898872

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:22

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:22
Road from Broken Hill to Tibooburra is now mostly sealed. An unsealed patch was closed a few days ago for a while following rain. Other unsealed roads were closed or had cautions.Packsaddle Roadhouse will be able to tell you the latest on the roads. By the way, Packsaddle make great burgers :).
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625211

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:45

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:45
Before 4WDs were the province of anyone and everyone, we used to go where we wanted to go in 2WDs.

They will still go to those places. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 625213

Follow Up By: splits - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 13:26

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 13:26
we used to go where we wanted to go in 2WDs.
-----------------------------------------------
So true Peter and we did it on street tyres without big white letters on the sidewalls.

4wds did not become popular until the early 1970s. The aftermarket parts manufacturers soon appeared with all the "must have " parts. It has now reached the point where many 4wd buyers believe even a standard 4wd will not be suitable without every conceiveable modification and upgrade.
FollowupID: 898850

Reply By: Alain B1 - Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 13:39

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 13:39
Hi all, I tried to get there. I got bogged on the way as it rained the week before and I was unable to reach the corner. I managed to get out of the unforeseen situation without too much trouble but with a lot hard work. It is a beautiful part of the world and I think I will attempt a second time but a little better prepared. Thank all for your advice. Regards, Alain
AnswerID: 625949

Sponsored Links