Anne Beadell Hwy - Coober Pedy to Vokes Hill

Any recent travellers on this section?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Wednesday, May 01, 2019 at 10:34

Wednesday, May 01, 2019 at 10:34
Hi James,

We travelled this section of the ABH early to mid March this year, as well as being pretty warm, the track was what we expected.

The first 35 -50 kms from Coober pedy to Mabel Creek Station was in very good condition, and from there to Emu was rough and corrugated to varying degrees. Once past Emu through to VHC the conditions eased a lot, overall a trip we really enjoyed, we have travelled the ABH a few times now and always enjoy it.

We travelled south from VHC and then SE to Oldea etc
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625274

Follow Up By: Member - James H6 - Wednesday, May 01, 2019 at 22:36

Wednesday, May 01, 2019 at 22:36
Helpful news thx! Hav single L/cruiser ute and offroad small van so should survive. Intend going fm VHC south thru Cook unless other possibilities arise Heading for Mt.Ives then nothern Flinders Ranges
Appreciate yr assistance!
Jim
FollowupID: 898926

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 11:09

Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 11:09
"...from there to Emu was rough and corrugated to varying degrees. Once past Emu through to VHC the conditions eased a lot"

I wonder if a lot of people do as I did last year: drive from Coober Pedy out to Emu, have a look around, then return to CP?
FollowupID: 898932

Follow Up By: Member - James H6 - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 19:20

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 19:20
We started west from Coober on 02May and found the going as u described it but perhaps much more corrugated for first 200km. With the off-road c/van it was tiring travel and we finished up driving 100km then resting 24hrs then another 100km and rest.
Passed a group of trail-bikers camped near Emu while their support vehicle took a severely injured rider back to CP and another guy road his bike back....a nite trip of many hours of hell, poor sod.
We went south thru Cook, a fascinating spot with 2 trains in as well. The going was really overgrown and some sand crests were a challenge but we made it to Nullabor Rdhouse in nearly one piece, 808km in 8 days. Then it rained so we were lucky!
FollowupID: 899419

Sponsored Links