Carawine Gorge

Hi
I am planning to drive to Carawine Gorge shortly and am wondering on recent road conditions.
I plan to do a loop from Marble Bar out along the Rippon Hils Road and back via the Woodie Woodie road and then the Skull Springs track to Nullagine.
I am driving a L C 200 Series towing a Kimberley Kamper Trailer.
I understand the track from the Woodie Woodie turn off into the Upper Carawine Pool and south ward connecting to the Skull Springs can be quite rough.
I am a fairly experienced off roader but dont want to unnecessarily bash the car and trailer about if the alternative Woodie Woodie track to Skull Springs road is much better.
Any comments on must see places along this route would be appreciated .
Thanks
Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 16:26

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 16:26
I've added a link to our East Pilbara Diversion trek note as this contains all the info you need for this area. It's one of our favourites but sadly not been there recently to give you an update on road conditions. But from past trips there can confirm these roads are wide open graded tracks and mostly flat terrain so not much varies except for the amount of corrugations and ruts which is typical for any outback track. So you'll just need to drive to conditions, which would typically mean motoring along at 70km/hr +, its not a technical offroad track.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625789

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 18:14

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 18:14
We were in that area almost 12 months ago, mid June '18, on Skull Springs Road to Nullagine first, then later in the journey, on Rippon Hills Road & Woodie Woodie Road.

Skull Springs Road was mostly in good order, having been graded earlier. The other roads were mostly good but had a lot more traffic on them, so stretches of corrugations.

After visiting, and swimmming at Running Waters, we were advised not to take the track to Upper Carrawine, so returned to the road into Carrawine.Well worth the visit. Be sure to check out the glacier marks, to the right before you get into the gorge proper.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625794

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 21:37

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 21:37
Thanks Bob, sounds too easy!!
May be I should turn east and head for Rudall River.
Cheers
FollowupID: 899423

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:47

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:47
Hi Craig,
When you near the gorge, keep to the right fork as there are some nice grassed camp areas at that end.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 625814

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:58

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:58
Thanks Dingo
Cheers Craig
FollowupID: 899434

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 12:57

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 12:57
Craig,
By all means camp in the nice grassy area (it is good) BUT have a drive over the pebbles to the waters edge. Six vans towed to the edge and only two bogged. They were easy to get out with out any digging. If you take a direct line without turning you will have no trouble. I don't know any other place that has the deep pebbles.
The local remote police patrol were there. They had too much pressure in the Troopy's tyres when they were trying to turn, and were smokin' the tyres but got out ok.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 899435

Sponsored Links