How to stop rocks smashing canopy rear window.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 17:45
ThreadID: 138492 Views:9178 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Want to buy poptop camper trailer ,whats best system to stop back window and tailgate been smashed by rocks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 18:21

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 18:21
Hi Lazylux 16

You will find the best and proven item to buy is a Stone Stomper, custom made right here in South Australia.

Christian will tailor make one to suit your camper/car combo.

We have one on our Ultimate and they are just brilliant.

Open this link and it will show you all you need to know about the brilliant Stone Stomper

They have my 100% vote for a true product that works.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626096

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:34

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:34
Another vote for Stone Stomper...it protects much more then just your rear window
FollowupID: 899779

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 01:28

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 01:28
Always helpful Steve L. Just wondering how they go on muddy tracks. Would they get mud stuck in them? And does material wear out eventually cheers. They look good. Adelaide made a good thing.
FollowupID: 899787

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 07:46

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 07:46
Hi Again Lazylux16

In heavy mud, they do recommend removing them, but as we all know, mud is no fun and is not good for a number of reasons.

Heavy mud will collect on them, causing them to sag, and then in turn can damage the Stone Stomper. If conditions are like this, then it is not fun driving, let alone towing in conditions like that.

Another point that those that use plastic, cardboard or foam just on their back window, their back tailgate/van or camper is still going to get peppered with stone damage, something that your Stone Stomper will stop.

Unlike many add on type of covers and protectors, these are not manufactured overseas, Australian made and Christian will make them up to any specifications.

You will find those that do not own them are quick to knock them, or hearsay, like access to the back of your vehicle, which is not fact. It takes just 2 seconds to unclip the clip, so that is not an issue.

I have also heard where owners of them, have damaged them for some reason or another. Christian has repaired them, so no they are not a throw away item if the uneventful ever happens.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899788

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 08:02

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 08:02
Lazylux16,

I have never experienced any problem driving on muddy tracks, or anything else for that matter.
If there is any doubt, the trapeze mesh can be easily disconnected and reattached, without removing the support bar. Any mud that may stick to the mesh can also be removed easily once dry. I have not experienced any noticeable sagging due to extra weight of mud, etc.

I have been using a Stone Stomper for about 8 years, after a trip along the lower Birdsville Track. I was using a Rock Tamer at the time and could literally see the stones being ejected sideways, after they hit the angled flaps. This scared the hell out of me and I could just imagine what vehicles traveling in the other direction might experience when passing.
Both my traveling mates have also installed Stone Stompers on their rigs.

I have noticed one or two small holes in the mesh caused by rock impact, but they are not big enough to have "patched" yet. Christian can do this, or supply a new mesh at a considerable reduced cost of a complete system.

Highly recommend the Stone Stomper product.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 899789

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 15:26

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 15:26
Ditto to all the above comments, plus I damaged my mat, left it unclipped for a few k's, enquired about getting it repaired, no problem, send it over will check it over and repair if possible, actually dropped it off, picked it up a couple of days later, no charge, was like new, service above and beyond.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899843

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 19:14

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 19:14
Tape cardboard over it
AnswerID: 626099

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 19:52

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 19:52
I used "Polycarbonate" sheet cut to the size of the rear window of my landcruiser and held on with about 2" suction cups.
It lets you retain vision through the rear window and once on it can remain on for the whole trip.

Giggle " Polycarbonate "

"Polycarbonate is a strong, tough, stiff, transparent material with outstanding impact resistance.

Scrubby
AnswerID: 626102

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 22:35

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 22:35
I have successfully used the same method...

... But a word of caution!

If your rear window is curved (as my Landcruiser is) you will need to add some small clear rubber feet (available from Bunnings) to stop the centre of the polycarbonate cover collecting dust and rubbing on the existing glass and scrating it.

Expensive to fix.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 899785

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 08:07

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 08:07
Polycarbonate sheeting will give protection against broken windows, but won't stop stone chips on the back of vehicle from rebounds, or protect the front of van being towed.
A Stone Stomper will deflect stones, etc. underneath the towed van, at a low angle of trajectory, giving added protection to the underside of van as well.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 899790

Reply By: Ozi M - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:28

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:28
It depends how often you will need it, if you want the best then get a custom made guard and it will also protect the tailgate as well as the window.

Lots of people either use suction caps or velcro to attach white foam sheets or poly just to the window.

They get dings in the tailgate though
AnswerID: 626103

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:35

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:35
Which is why a Stone Stomper is the best protection!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899780

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:43

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 20:43
FollowupID: 899781

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 23:27

Sunday, Jun 09, 2019 at 23:27
We have used clear stiff plastic sheeting, like from Spotlight or similar stores, held in place by self adhesive Velcro. Copy brands were not a effective as the brand name Velcro, although this did slip out of place in the heat, so needed watching. Being clear it did not obscure vision like cardboard or corflute does.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626104

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 09:10

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 09:10
Lazylux,
I have tried some of the methods detailed in this thread. Each has its limitations so like everything else in camping its a compromise. Beer carton will stop some rocks but not sure it would stop a big one. It also rubs on the glass and causes scratching. Corflute is better and will stop some of the larger stones too but again the rubbing. Both of these options can be a nuisance when you want to do some touring without a van chasing you and you have no rear vision. Not a big deal but I like it when all 3 mirrors work. I had some polycarbonate cut to size and fitted it with suction cups and velcro. In the heat and the corrugations I was constantly reattaching both. This is better than other 2 options but less than perfect. It still doesn't protect anything other than the rear glass. The other point is that it is also the front screen that is at risk. I had difficulty coming to grips with this when others told me about it until it happened to me. A stone ricocheted off the trailer stone guard and landed on the screen. Didn't break it but since there wasn't another car in the same postcode there was no other explanation. I now have a stone stomper which is by far the best I have used but still not perfect. My trailer has some stone marks on either side over an area about 300mm square. Couldn't work out how it was happening then realised the exploded front wheels on my 76 series was causing some stones to come up from the front wheels. Not the fault of the stone stomper. If you'll take my advice forget the low / no cost options and go straight to the stone stomper.
AnswerID: 626110

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 09:31

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 09:31
Another vote for the stone stomper, I aslo use a PLASWELD rear screen protector and it has dings in it I assume from passing cars. It is also not uncommon to see side rear windows on cars broken.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626111

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 11:53

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 11:53
Hi HKB similar subject. Been reading arguement on bluetooth electric brake controller. Some say illegal? Any recommendations, I am new to camper trailers and thinking buying one what is good setup. Cheers. Adelaide product so be good to support local business and a few hundred bucks to save money on damage.
FollowupID: 899793

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:06

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:06
I havent seen any regulations regarding brake controllers.

A rear screen or side windows are very expensive compared to windscreen and usually a pain if they break as all i have seen are safety class and just shatter and fall out, and it may not be easy to come up with a temporary repair if your not prepared for it. Screen repairers will probably not be able to source a replacement easily either so better to protect than replace.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899794

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 14:09

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 14:09
There is an ADR standard for trailer brakes that does include the controller so I assume all controllers must meet the ADR specs.

ADR trailer brake standards
FollowupID: 899797

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 22:55

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 22:55
WiTo make a blutooth trailer connector that also does the brakes. All ADR approved. They have a brake controller to go with it but you can use most popular brands. You can also add GPS tracking, an immobiliser/alarm and breakaway kit to the WiTi unit.
Have just sent my WiTo back to get the GPS thingy fitted.
Keith
FollowupID: 899817

Reply By: Member - JIM F4 - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:58

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:58
Hi I had a canopy on my Volkswagen Amarok and made a template of the window and went to Menzel Plastics to have them cut a poly-carb 2.00mm sheet and they supplied about 8 suction cups fitted to the poly-carb. Did cape York, and back through Birdsville - no problems
AnswerID: 626113

Reply By: greybeard - Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 at 23:17

Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 at 23:17
Learn how to reverse a trailer with a short drawbar. ;)
The potential for damage increase with the length of the drawbar. Any rocks flicked up by the towing vehicle hit the underside of the trailer and bounce down/away and are not returned to sender.
Yes, a long drawbar on the trailer makes it easier to reverse and provides lots of real estate to stash stuff but that stuff not only increase the ball weight it usually provides a nice surface to bounce rocks off.
YMMV
AnswerID: 626187

Sponsored Links