Help/info needed on problem with new suspension

Submitted: Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 07:31
ThreadID: 138656 Views:4318 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had a suspension fitted by a dealer of one of Australia's largest suppliers of 4WD gear. The vehicle is a 2011 Toyota VDJ79 single cab Landcruiser. On the leaf spring the military/safety wrap is rubbing on the chassis. The dealer has contacted the supplier and they have come back and said that there is a undocumented variation in the spring mounts by Toyota. Their "fix" is to cut off the wrap. They say that susbsequent supplies of the leaf spring will come without the wrap. I have requested written confirmation of this before I allow them to "fix" the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem & any knowledge of the variation of the spring mounts on Toyota VDJ79?

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 07:59

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 07:59
Is it truly an undocumented variation in spring hangers on the Toyota? Maybe you could photograph all you see parked and with a known sized object see IF IT IS REALLY TRUE.

Then again, the spring maker may have created a number of spring packs with UNDOCUMENTED increase in wrap size which they are no admitting to.if the supplier can say there is an undocumented hanger change, the fact they know of it means it IS DOCUMENTED and should be allowed for by dealers when fitting spring packs.
An easy fix is for them to supply you with correct springs if springs are the cause.
When the dealer fitted then they would have known, there and then, if using their eyes. Maybe they fit with no work light and also use sunnies with darkened lenses. If seen to be close, they should have contacted the supplier immediately before it was driven.
Perhaps their bushes have collapsed and is allowing the contact, but again not noticed by the fitting dealer.

IF AND ONLY "IF" they have to cut the wrap off, make sure they protect the mainleaf each side from grinder nicks by using a metal shielding between spring elements because if the main it nicked the main leaf will fail shortly afterwards and then with NO wrap you will crash uncontrolled.
AnswerID: 626536

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 10:24

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 10:24
By any chance would the spring supplier be Iron Man ??
It hardly sounds like a professional fix does it! The wraps are there obviously for a good reason
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626539

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 10:55

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 10:55
Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but,ThreadID: 106523
Dave.
AnswerID: 626540

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 11:34

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 11:34
Hi Kevin,

Here I was trying to educate myself on what is the military/safety wrap and stumbled upon another thread that might provide some useful information for you - if my reading is correct, is it possible your installer installed the springs the wrong way around (ie. with the back eye in the front hanger, and front eye in the back hanger)?

See thread 106523
AnswerID: 626541

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 12:32

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 12:32
Hi Tim,

Thanks, i’ve seen that thread and spring is in the right way.
FollowupID: 900373

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 14:54

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 14:54
Tim
Only possible if the spring centre bolt is in the centre of the leaf eye spacing. most are not.

Early Dmax, yes.
FollowupID: 900377

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 13:48

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 13:48
The military wrap is a safety precaution to prevent the spring coming off the vehicle if the main leaf breaks. I would never own a 4wd with leaf springs that did not have a military wrap.

This sounds like crock customer service - I would be asking for my money back and going somewhere else.
AnswerID: 626542

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 15:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 15:00
Ozziecuiser
I agree, crap customer service. To suggest cutting the offending part off is very professional indeed. Hardly something a reputable business who value their standing would suggest.
Some springs have a narrowed wrap to specifically NOT FOUL the spring hangers, these bozo's seem to make springs with little awareness of what is out there. There must be at least a few landcruisers for them so look at for what is real, perhaps they haven't discovered what is required yet.

Wrong springs, or wrong design?
FollowupID: 900378

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 15:30

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 15:30
Just looking at different manufacturers photos they vary how they do the military wrap.
Some are a tight wrap around the inner one and some are a open wrap that provides some safety restraint in the event of the top leaf snapping.

If yours are the open wrap then the fix would be a tight wrap. Definitely not a good idea to cut them off
AnswerID: 626543

Reply By: mechpete - Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 22:23

Friday, Jul 05, 2019 at 22:23
the guy who fitted them needs to be made aware
of consumer law which over rides everything
not fit for purpose is what its called
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 626557

Sponsored Links