Newman WA Caravan Parks

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2019 at 22:31
ThreadID: 138672 Views:5551 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone recommend a caravan park in Newman WA that they have stayed at recently?
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 05:58

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 05:58
Van parks are like rocking horse poo in Newman!

We had a night or two, last June, at a place that also had a lot of apartment type accommodation for miners. Was cheap enough as I got a seniors discount for all of us.

Good amenities, free machines ‘n dryers, and quiet aspect. Sorry, can’t remember the name?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626599

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 09:38

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 09:38
Would that be Rivergums Village, between airport and town?
Know somebody who stayed there last year. Said it was a bit sparse for camping and caravans and the ground even harder than he expected for his tent pegs.
But as you say, options are none I think.
Cheers
FollowupID: 900451

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 11:40

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 11:40
It is called oasis@newman - highly recommend it.

A lot of the other accomodation in town has been purchased by BHP for their workers.

Basic room $120 pn with ensuite (Caravan spaces and more deluxe rooms)
Meals - $20 breakfast - $30 Dinner or $40 package including lunch. (Good quality, heaps of choice and as much as you want)

Gymnasium (if your into that), games/lounge/tv room alfresco bbq/bar area, free laundry facilities.

Daily grog deliveries from town if needed

Recently stayed there - 4 weeks ago - clean, friendly quite at night and deserted during the day.

There is similar accomodation at the Capricorn Roadhouse further south.

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 900464

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:57

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:57

This is where we stayed, just behind the BP robot servo, as someone else mentioned. Cowra Drive is only a cul-de-sac, that stops at Whaleback. We walked up to the Tavern for a feed, wasn’t too bad, and bought our emergency rations there, the following day.

Seem to recall the other van park was closed at the time too, and Capricorn was another option suggested to us as well. If you’re travelling in the area, say Karijini, Auski Roadhouse is very good, both amenities & grounds. Be warned, it is very noisy, ALL BLOODY NIGHT, with road trains carting ore & returning, constantly. I drive r’trains at moment, to fund my trips, and didn’t think they’d worry me? None of my companions complained though!

Enjoy, we need to go back, still heaps to see!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900470

Reply By: B1B2 - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 09:38

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 09:38
As Bob said there is not much choice. We stayed at Whaleback CP near the BP service station. S23 21 02.5 E119 44 32.1
Very miner orientated and they were building a lot more accommodation last year.
We were a group of 5 vans. I was parked on the bitumen without power as they had run out of sites. It wouldn't be a bad idea to book ahead.
It has a central cooking area and was ok. They have no DP, and you need to go to the information centre and get a key.
Have a drive out to Kaglan pool that is the most water in length that i have ever driven through, 200 + meters but about 2ft deep and solid base.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 626603

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:23

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:23
I don't get what's going on re CPs at Newman.

We were there this time last year. The big, well established CP in town with miners' facilities as well as tourists' was shut down. But outside town limits on the highway southbound a new place with tourist facilities and cabins for the miners and a dining hall with commercial kitchen and chef was going gang-busters.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626606

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 11:43

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 11:43
Frank

BHP has bought up a bit of accomodation realestate and is currently refurbishing it for there own workers.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 900465

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 11:49

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 11:49
Thanks Anthony
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900466

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:30

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:30
Google turned up this from last year

Newman caravan park
AnswerID: 626607

Reply By: new boy - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:30

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:30
Stayed at Whaleback last week, very good park clean amenities big sites .Yes there is construction going on so early mornings . Only about 14 powered site and they are busy so BOOK asap on having dates you will be there. If you wish to do a mine tour I,d also book that with the Info Centre.
AnswerID: 626608

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 16:12

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 at 16:12
Both parks in town have good reports in WikiCamps, the only wingers are those who expected grassed sites because the park name has Oasis in it.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626614

Reply By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2019 at 02:31

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2019 at 02:31
G'day Explorers

I'm not sure how my reply regarding anything Newman or in fact anything Pilbara oriented is taken, but everything said by me in regards to where I live ~ Newman and where I choose to live ~ the Pilbara is always the absolute truth simply because 'I live here'.

I've read all the previous replies to Gary - T4's enquiry on a caravan park in Newman, yes there is a place in Newman behind what was once a BP service station, the service station is now a Shell outlet.

The caravan (sic) park is within the confines of what was once called the 'Whaleback Village' ~ this establishment was crippled by the mining boom that wasn't, there is a whole long sad story about a mining boom, that NEVER existed, it was a construction 'Boom' that ended and all the profiteering crystal ball gazers, either got out or went broke.

Whaleback Village was never nor will it ever be a caravan park, yes you can book a site use the amenities and believe you've been in or at a caravan park, but it is a BHP accommodation camp and an on going construction site.

I'm not for one second saying it's not worth staying there, each to his/her own.

The Oasis Village is also a mine FI FO oriented camp, where you the weary traveller can park up in a red dirt paddock and feel as if you are in a caravan park, just hope your not too close to the construction zone part of the establishment, again it is what it is, only it's about 10 k's out of town and much closer to the airport.

The Newman Caravan Park does not exist, it too went the way of the crystal ball gazers and has been so for close to 2 years ~ give or take 6 months, again a construction site in BHP's master plan in housing their Fly in Fly out minions.

The Shire of East Pilbara manage the Newman Visitor Centre, you can book a parking lot/caravan bay here and stay the night or maybe a couple of nights,and enjoy the workforce tide in the early morning and late afternoon as the Mount Whaleback mine shift change happens, I believe the fees charged are quite reasonable at the NVC ~ caravan parking place.

There was mention made of Kalgan Pool in a reply, yes there is a heck of a lot of water flowing along certain sections of Kalgan Creek, very picturesque and well worth the effort if you drive a 'dual range' four wheel drive, but please note that the water flow is entirely under ground water discharge from Rio Tinto's near by mining operations.

You can camp anywhere along the Kalgan Creek watercourse if you feel like doing so, I highly recommend this as an option, if you are towing anything bigger/heavier/longer than a generic camper trailer, you will multiply the difficulties ten fold ~ possibly more, but I have seen folks haul their mega dollar 'off road' balls and all caravans all the way in to Kalgan Gorge/Pool.

Sadly, very sadly in fact Kalgan Pool has been wounded and may well die ~ has mining got anything to do with this wounding ? You be the judge!

I could upload an image of Kalgan Pool, before the ground water manipulation began, but I'm sure you the viewer would feel sad, I'm not for one second trying to prevent you from having a great stay in Newman at the caravan parking place of your choice, after all there are three establishments to choose from, each has something that is special, I'm sure.

All of the images submitted are real, they are current, some were even shot today.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

AnswerID: 626626

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2019 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2019 at 19:45
That water alot lower than what i recall from 2014 even then it was smallish

Better pools up in Kimberly if one wants to compare them

24 hr at info centre is best bet these days -im guessing they still allow water collection for a donation to RFDS ?
FollowupID: 900571

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Thursday, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:06

Thursday, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:06
G'day Dean K3

I won't enter into a debate on what waterhole or pools as you call them might be better, or whether the Kimberley is or isn't better than the inland Pilbara, for my liking both regions are absolutely magnificent and they each have spectacular waterholes and gorges, it's just that the Kimberley is promoted as a tourist destination and it is marketed very smartly to boot.

On the other hand the inland Pilbara is marketed and known almost purely as a mining region and tourism is NOT on the radar as far as being important when it comes to the easy revenue gained by digging it up and flogging it off.

To me and possibly only me, it's bloody sad too see the shiny bums selling off this very ancient land called the Pilbara.

Yes the NVC (info centre) still 'allows water collection ?' and as a bonus if your staying at the NVC as a fee paying caravan overnighter, you can even dump your dunny product and it's all just for a donation to the RFDS apparently.

The uploaded images with this reply were taken by me in 2014 ~ the same year the dewatering pipline was completed, from memory, not too sure which month Rio Tinto opened the valve but it's not been closed since then.
The other image is from 2015 @ 15:56 hrs on 19/7/2015

I can dig up images and information from my archives if you wish to learn/know more, I am happy to expand a little on my personal involvement in the lead up to the shooting of the movie 'The Japanese Story'

Kalgan Pool/Gorge was featured in the movie starring Toni Collette ~ The Japanese Story.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

FollowupID: 900573

Sponsored Links