Frenchman's Track - Cape York

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:00
ThreadID: 13869 Views:5461 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening,

Heading off to Cape York in 4 weeks. Most planning done but am looking for info on Frenchmans into Iron Range N/P. Have heard that it is very hard. Will be in a Jackaroo without a snorkel.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Willy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Foss - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:23

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:23
can't remember the name of the water crossing at the iron range end but it was bonnet\lapping the windscreen deep (GU patrol 4" lift) at the end of the dry when I was there. rocky bottom so no getting bogged :-)
AnswerID: 63647

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:41

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:41
Willy. I believe the Frenchman track is within the limits of a Jackaroo.(I'm shure many have done it) The majority of the track is pretty straght forward. A few deep ruts, side slopes & small bog holes (when wet) otherwise just a rough track. Your main challenge is the Pascoe river which has a rough stepped entry on the east side & a rocky exit on the west.
It appears the crossing is normally fairly deep (bonnat depth) even when other rivers have dropped so it would pay to get up to the minute advice from fellow travellers or at Archer river Roadhouse. The other option is to go out to Chilli Beach then on the way back drive the 11 KM to the Pascoe River for a look. If you think the crossing is beyond you then take the long way around.
It's a great drive. Cheers Craig.................
AnswerID: 63659

Reply By: stapo - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:45

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:45
Willykj,

AnswerID: 63661

Reply By: stapo - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 22:01

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 22:01
Willykj,
We were thru there in 2002.DID NOT travel the Frenchmans but went into Chiili Bch/ Portland Rd via the "Portland Road" ,a great drive with a wonderful destination.You should stay at Chilli Beach But be sure to go to Portland rd to talk with the locals.
They are so helpful & friendly .I'm sure you will not allow enough time here.
You should stay at Chilli Beach and I'm sure you will find someone that came in via the Frenchmans.Unfortunately you will have to apply the usual degree of sceptiscism re the "Degree of Difficulty".

Look if worst comes to worst and you cannot travel the "Frenchman" then come out via the Wenlock again . THERE ARE WORST DRIVES THAN THIS

Pete

AnswerID: 63668

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:36

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:36
Willy the frenchmans will be pretty deep tarp up well and walk it first and pick the way watch to see if others are crossing and were.
The run into chilli will/should be very muddy I have not heard of how it is but its red clay and should be wet.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 63698

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:11

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:11
Willie,

Is your Jackaroo a diesel?????

I did this in the Rodeo last year. From what I can gather the river is normally not as low as it was. I did tarp up incase as I was on my 'pat malone' for this section as my mates had already been to Chilli Beach and said it was too windy for them....fortunately it wasn't for me and is a great destination. Anyway the water didn't come over the bonnet at the Pascoe. The enterance to the river (from the west) is very rocky but shouldn't be a prob for the Jack if you take it slow and pick your line. The exit is a little steep but was fine. The drive is fantastic throught the NP and wouldn't miss it.

Leroy
AnswerID: 63730

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 20:09

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 20:09
Willykj.
I did the Frenchmans track last year from west to east and agree with Leroy, I towed my Aussie Swag ct with my 2.8d Four-Runner(50mm body lift & 30mm suspension lift) and had no problems at all. I would advise walking the crossing first to check flow, depth and for any large rocks, I had to move one rock. Water was only up to the top of tyres. Take it easy along whole track and you should be fine.
Have a good and safe trip.
Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 63803

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)