Proposed Gembrook Trip

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:43
ThreadID: 13873 Views:1838 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Terracan Tim, Datsun Dave and myself are planning an overnighter to Gembrook Sat 24/7. Meet at Gembrook in the morning, tour a bit, set up camp, tour a bit more, get back to camp late afternoon. Light a fire, sit around have a few beers, tell a few lies, have a feed and hit the cot. Get up Sunday, have breakfast, go touring, come back some time later, break camp and shoot through.

Anyone interested. Don't be shy, I met Tim and Dave for the first time last Monday when we arranged to do to do a day trip out of Maffra (had a pearler of a time). You will not be meeting up with three close mates who will make you feel like outsiders; we hardly know each other but a common interest makes for a good time.

Also a great opportunity for anyone new to a Terracan to join up with a couple of blokes who also take their "Jerry Cans" bush.

This is of course not resticted to Jerrys, anyone is welcome. Anyone who has knowledge of the area and can lead the way would be especially welcome.

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 17:47

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 17:47
goodday jimbo
i take it you are looking for a bit of 4b driving around bunyip state forest you may well be disappointed as they close alot of the" good" tracks over winter if thats your intention there are several sites to check whats open and whats not including the tread lightly site but there are some great tracks when they are open .

steve
AnswerID: 63793

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 00:15

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 00:15
Me and the boys will be in that . We frollic around Gemi a fair bit . Dont worry to much about closures . The tracks they close are crap anyway.

You guys want ruff stuff or soft ?
AnswerID: 63849

Reply By: terracan tim - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 06:59

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 06:59
we want the ruff stuff the harder the better want see what these terracans can do
AnswerID: 63856

Reply By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:23

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:23
Eric,

You better define rough. We all have standard vehicles and I don't want to do any damage, but I don't want to be a Nancy Boy either.

Now let's start a little planning.

Where should we meet?
What time?
Where should we camp?
What recovery gear do we have and need? (All I've got is a snatch strap and I think Tim can "Derryn Hinch" a Tirfor for the weekend).
Tucker; easier for everyone to look after their own rather than a joint effort?
Are there any restrictions on collecting firewood?

Sounds like it could be a good one.

Jim.
AnswerID: 63867

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:29

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:29
Eric,

I've just had a look at your member photo. Five inch lift kit, locking diffs, winch, etc, your idea of soft might our idea of hard. You're clearly a man of considerable experience and know the area. I think we'll be guided by you and probably learn a fair bit.

Jim.
FollowupID: 325005

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:15

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:15
Might not bring the 80 series , hoping the Shorty is ready by then lol and you thing the 80 is mean hehe

I wont be camping , I will come for a day trip so just let me know were you will be and ill find you .

Dont worry aboyt recovery gear , I have 2 of EVRYTHING lol .
I can tell you what tracks we will do , I will have to wait till we get closer to the date and monitor rainfall .

Most of the tracks you will do ok , some you may just watch. If Greg and Con come along , I guarranty a great show lol.

We are talking 24th of July ?
FollowupID: 325030

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 14:52

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 14:52
Yep 24th July.

Jim.
FollowupID: 325040

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:44

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:44
Hi Jimbo
don't worry you will be in good hands
and if it rains you could park the Terracan under the Tuf_80 LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 63901

Reply By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 20:09

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 20:09
Hi all,
We'll be in that ... any other women coming along? I (Kerry) don't want to be stuck with too much testosterone yakking about tyres and bow shackles blah blah blah. Last time we were up at Gembrook was pretty good, we camped for 4 days and there are a couple of spots to camp. If you go to http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au Bunyip State Park is mentioned and it has a detailed map on it which shows the camp sites and some tracks. Last time we were up, we asked the ranger about the camp sites being bordered off by concrete posts, which makes it impossible to get a camper trailer in there, which he said was precisely the point. However, the main camping/picnic area at the start of the park has a few broken poles, and he said it wouldn't matter if we camped there, as long as the cars weren't parked in there as well. At this point we don't know if we'll be camping the night, but count us in for the day.
Let us know the meeting spot and time and we'll be there.
Cheers,
Nino & Kerry
AnswerID: 63989

Reply By: terracan tim - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:21

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:21
Jimbo this was posted by rowan in another post maybe worth a look at for another trip before I leave no the camp he is talking about been there about 8 year ago could make a good weekend trip as well

rowan posted this on the 19june04(PS rowan hope you dont mind me cut and pasting this into our thread )
Howdy troops!

Here's a bit of a proposition for anyone who's interested in a getaway.....

I work at a school camp in the beautiful Macalister Valley ( between Heyfield & Licola ) as a full time teacher/ instructor ( not a bad gig eh? ). We recently had a 4WD club stay here on the long weekend, utilising the facilities & the excellent local tracks for 4WD'ing. One of their days here was spent utilsing the camp's activities ( flying fox, rockclimbing/abseiling, high ropes, rafting/canoeing etc. ) with this 'black duck' as their faithful guide & instructor.

They had a ball! Great location, great 4wd tracks & some camp activities to spice it all up! All within an easy 3hr drive from melbs.

It got me thinking that if anyone else was keen to follow in their tracks (pardon the pun! ), that I would be happy to recommend/ do the same. Groups can get an adventurous little getaway & provide me some xtra work ( which I'm looking for ).

So, if anyone is interested, please email me personally at wag2woody@hotmail.com & I'd be happy to pass on some more information.

Alrighty, catch u on the tracks!
AnswerID: 64042

Reply By: Bull - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 19:10

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 19:10
Jimbo,

I'll be in on that as well mate, only for the day though. Let me know where and what time to meet.

Cheers Bull
80 series
AnswerID: 64106

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:33

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:33
Bull,

Looks like being a big day. Should be more fun than a free keg on a hot day.

Jim.
FollowupID: 325538

Reply By: terracan tim - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:08

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:08
Jim this might be worth you buying as it gives you some great places to go in vic
I have pasted this from www.mapsdownunder.com.au

Four Wheel Driving : 4WD Treks Close to Melbourne
This new expanded 2nd edition highlights seventeen of the best 4WD treks within a few short hours drive of Melbourne. You'll discover some of Greater Melbourne's best 4WD destinations with this easy to follow route noted guide.

The book features route note readings in both forward and reverse directions with accompanying comprehensive route maps, detailed information about camping opportunities and activities, trek standards and contact information. Contains both GPS Lat/Long and UTM Grid References.

Treks included:
Lerderderg State Park
Angahook-Lorne State Park (OTWAYS AREA)
Otway Forest (OTWAYS AREA)
Mt Cole Meander
The Grampians Tour
Mt Disappointment
Tallarook State Forest
Murrindindi Trek
Bunyip State Park
Yarra State Forest
Rubicon Adventure
Big River Country
Brooklyn Town Trek
Donnelly’s Creek
Bruntons Bridge
Avon Wilderness

EDITION: 2nd Edition
PAGES: 160 pages
FORMAT: Paperback
AUTHORS: Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage
PUBLISHED BY: Boiling Billy
PUBLISHED DATE: September, 2002
ISBN: 876296208

In Stock Quantity:

Price: $24.95

AnswerID: 65245

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 21:16

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 21:16
Hi guys, are you guys still heading to Gembrook on 24/25 July??? If so, do you mind if a Pathy tags along?? Recently moved down from Sydney and in need of some mud!
AnswerID: 67532

Sponsored Links