Bulgannia to Tarcoola

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 21:02
ThreadID: 138800 Views:4447 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I"ve noticed that on the Stuart Highway at Bulgunnia there is a turnoff with a Tarcoola sign. Now Hema list the road as MVO but why would there be a sign directing people to Tacoola if the road was private? Has anyone legally been down this road? I know a Woomera permit would be required.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 23:05

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 23:05
Hi Ivan

Yes we have been down there legally, as it is a public gazetted road out into Station Country.

Do not be scared off by the big yellow sign, saying Authorised Only, as this only refers to actually entering the Challenger Gold Mine, and you will not get past the front security gate.

Now you may ask, why did we go down this very good road....to visit friends of mine, Simon and Katie at Commonwealth Hill Station, then further out to the Dog Fence and the back way into Maralinga.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626867

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 20:24

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 20:24
Not planning to go to Challenger Gold Mine or to Commonwealth Hill. Spoke to James Barry at Commonwealth Hill a few months ago an he stated that under no circumstance would non station personnel would be allowed near the dog fence.
FollowupID: 900837

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 21:09

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 21:09
Hi Ivan

It depends on who you know out there.

I know James and he was manager of Mulgathing Station when we went out that way, and transferred over to Commonwealth Hill when Simon and Katie left. All that station country out there is owned by 2 Pastoral Companies, and I have a finger in the pie with contacts in both pastoral groups.

When we did the Dog fence the second time, we had permission to go to Mount Christie and then further out.

But yes you are correct, the average person will never get permission to see that unreal country along the Dog Fence.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900838

Reply By: dean ( SA ) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 13:35

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 13:35
We recently applied for a tourist permit to travel that road and would be granted one providing we had permission from any stations we drive through.
AnswerID: 626922

Sponsored Links