Judbarra/Gregory National Park.

Have any forum members traveled the internal 4wd tracks of this park towing an off road camper? Planning a visit at the end of September and tossing up whether to take the camper or just tent and swag it. Park notes say tracks not suitable for trailers or caravans but nothing about good off road trailers. Will be entering the park from the Buntine Hwy. Any thoughts from any one with first hand knowledge would be appreciated.
Cheers, Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 17:57

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 17:57
Was through Timber Creek 2 weeks ago, but as I was on a mission didn't have time to go up to Bullita.

Read someone's blog from some years back, where they travelled the opposite way to your plan, Mark, and remember there were a few steep creeks on the Humbert end. Some of that country can be very rough, and hard on vehicles, if you try to hurry or get in a tight situation.

I'd be inclined to leave the camper at home.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627473

Follow Up By: Member - kimberleybloke - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 19:11

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 19:11
Thanks for that Bob. I'm thinking swag and tent as well.
FollowupID: 901491

Reply By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 20:56

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 20:56
Hi Mark. We traveled the Gibbel, Wickham, Humbert, Bullita Stock Route and the Tuwakam Tracks towing a camper without any dramas in May this year. Wouldn't recommend the Tuwakam Track as it is extremely rocky and the scenery is average. There are a couple of jump-ups on the Wickham Track that were a little loose but nothing over the top. Good camping at Paperbark Yard, Fish Hole Yard, Limestone Gorge, the camping on the Bullita Stock Route is pretty average. all in all it was great drive and nice park.

Len
AnswerID: 627475

Follow Up By: Member - kimberleybloke - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 21:21

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 21:21
Thanks Len, appreciate the feedback, it all helps with the planning.
FollowupID: 901495

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Aug 30, 2019 at 13:39

Friday, Aug 30, 2019 at 13:39
Hi Kimberleybloke,

Not sure what the tracks are like these days, but we did the Bullita Stock Route loop & the Humbert Track back in 04, and they were definitely not suitable for any type of trailer back then. The Bullita Stock Route had some pretty serious jump ups, and a climb down that was virtually just rock steps. The Humbert Track had some very serious steep creek crossings. Of course that was 15 years ago, but from what I have read recently, it hasn't changed much.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627489

Follow Up By: Member - kimberleybloke - Friday, Aug 30, 2019 at 19:40

Friday, Aug 30, 2019 at 19:40
Thanks Macca, I'm thinking now of going just with swag and tent this trip and having a good look around.
FollowupID: 901514

Sponsored Links