Looking for someone to ride Canning Stock Route with

Hello mates,

?I am Italian but I lived in Australia for five years. I intend riding CSR in July '20 by motorcycle. I am looking for someone or a group to ride it with, without a supporting vehicle south to north.

If you know about this almost legendary 1800km long route already, you are aware that it requires technical expertise, physical fitness, special motorcycle setup, off-road experience (preferably in Australia) and heavy preparation. I am already at a good level of preparation myself.

If you are interested and perhaps also looking for a partner, please let me know and we can discuss details in PM.
Please, only serious people apply.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 07:58

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 07:58
Hey Gianluca,

That’s a serious trip you’re planning and its sounds like you've already got good skills and knowledge.

I suggest you also place your request on this site, its dedicated to the CSR.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canningstockroute/

All the best in your quest paesano.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 628193

Follow Up By: Gianluca J - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 16:35

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 16:35
Thanks for the good suggestion.
I posted also on the HUBB and ADVrider.
That FB group might have good visibility :)
FollowupID: 902501

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 12:35

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 12:35
G'day Gianluca

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for this trip but for ten years I ran motorcycle tours in Central Australia with dozens of crossings of the Simpson Desert and without a support vehicle and support crew I think you are asking for trouble.

Not sure what bike you intend to use but lets say it's an adventure bike similar to a Honda Africa twin with a 25 litre fuel tank - on road range approx 500 kilometres - off road range about 400 kilometres.

So you are needing to carry a minimum of 75 litres of fuel - you will need to also carry water, let's say 15 litres - you have just added 90 kg's of weight to a 240 kg bike and you still have to carry food, some basic tools, some spares, some sort of communication, first aid kit etc etc !

It doesn't matter how good a rider you are, how fit you are or how much technical expertise you have - crashes can and do happen to the very best. A friend of mine had the number 1 plate at the time for racing enduros in NSW and could ride flat out all day for weeks on end but on one Simpson Desert crossing had a crash and hurt himself badly - we put him in one of the support vehicles, fixed his bike and one of the support crew rode it to Birdsville.

A few years later a rider on another Simpson Desert trip was 1 kilometre from where we were going to camp the night - stopped looking at the track to take in the beautiful scenery, hit a rut, got thrown over the bars hit the ground and cracked his neck - that required calling the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Gianluca - what plans will you have in place in the event of a breakdown, crash or serious injury ?

In my opinion this trip should not be done without a support vehicle but it's your decision and you can't just rely on the good Aussie samaritan to help you out should you require assistance of some sort.

Good Luck

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 628201

Follow Up By: Gianluca J - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 16:45

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 16:45
G'day to you.

I thank you for highlighting some of the problems one has to face for CSR riding. I do not mind discussing it as CSR cannot be underestimated.

I agree that bike weight is a very important factor both for carrying the project through and personal enjoyment. So no Africa Twin for me, but a desert setup KTM 690 Enduro R with 56L of inline fuel (no fuel bladders or RotoPax).
I believe the longest ride in between fuel refill is 750-850Km, Wiluna-Parnngurr Community.

Together with full coverage insurance with rescue, satellite phone, PBD and radio UHF are available.
FollowupID: 902502

Follow Up By: mountainman - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 17:21

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 17:21
It would be extremely wise and of good will of you to buy the best option .......
Travel and medical insurance available.

I welcome you to go beyond the dirt track and challenge yourself in some of our remotest parts of oz.

But not at the cost of the tax payer or our valued RFDS or other charity medical companies to foot the bill of a rescue.

I have no idea if such an insurance exist.

But i do know if you buy travel insurance that you will be covered.
I dont know how the medical side is included or if its a add on policy.

I wish you a safe and terrific journey to our country

Good luck and good health to you

FollowupID: 902504

Follow Up By: Gianluca J - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 19:53

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 19:53
Thanks for your concern.
I do have (I don't know if it's the best) a full travel and medical insurance that can rescue in the most remote areas of the world and pays for the medical bill with or without air lifting back to my home country.

As you did, this is obviously a good, important point to consider for anybody as the cost of hospitalization can raise very quickly and the danger of any injury on motorcycle is high.
FollowupID: 902506

Reply By: dean ( SA ) - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 22:23

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 22:23
Hey mate, jump onto YouTube and find all of the videos by Daring2venture. He has recently finished riding his motorcycle more or less non-stop through all of Australia's deserts inc. the CSR. He did this solo and unsupported.
AnswerID: 628211

Follow Up By: Gianluca J - Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 23:18

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 at 23:18
Thanks.
I have actually seen a couple of his videos. I was planning to see the rest of his CSR videos.
However, for sure, I am not planning of doing it solo. Hence my post over here (and across other internet forums).
FollowupID: 902507

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 07:19

Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 07:19
Gianluca : it's been done before ; a mate of mine did it with another bloke back in mid 1980s long before the bucket list hype of the CSR unsupported. But I do recall him telling me how tough it was had a couple of touch and go experiences and ended up riding at night to keep out of the heat of the day and drinking from the wells .. biggest problem being water & heat.... from my experience when we did The Simpsons was the bike riders that we had met was water when they had parted from their support Crew .As has been mentioned have a look at YouTube and learn from others people's mistakes. Another person who organises these type of trips is former Ace Rider Daryl Beattie
I'm sure you will find others 2 travel with in time good luck and have fun do your research well
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 628212

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:32

Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:32
G'day Nick

Have you seen the size of Daryl Beatie's support vehicle ??

I was chatting with Daryl last year about desert trips and he said travelling solo is a very risky thing to do - mainly the problems you will encounter should you crash and injure yourself !

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 902509

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 21:33

Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 21:33
Haha Gazz yeah sure wouldn't want to meet his crew coming the opposite way in the desert :))

When you see the people riding the Simpson on youtube surprisingly more are not hurt but i guess if you were worried about that you might not do it & regret
Mongreldog Production this bloke does a lot remote traveling by him self aswel in groups
Cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 902514

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:53

Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:53
Not a bad video for those of you that don't ride dirt bikes and wonder what it would be like to ride across the Simpson.

https://youtu.be/ZhgDAvegs4k

Another short little vid

https://youtu.be/9HRgyxUwvPY

Ah the memories - after riding across the desert 3 times myself, I sure can say it's much easier in a 4wd - especially in an automatic with a sarsaparilla in hand lol.
FollowupID: 902516

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:34

Saturday, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:34
G'day Gianluca

There might be someone on here that would be interested in your trip

https://advrider.com/f/forums/australia.32/

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 628217

Reply By: Gianluca J - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 18:43

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 18:43
Still looking for partner/s