The latest bulletin from Wiluna

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:22
ThreadID: 13924 Views:1468 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Well here we are finally, staying at the Gunbarrel Laager, though we have cheated a bit and come down the Great Central Road instead of the Gunbarrel! If you have a chance this is a great spot to stay, although a vineyard seems a bit unlikely out here.

Since my last bulletin in Marree we have had more adventures! We set off up the Oodnadatta track, having been advised that it was open by the locals. We came across a huge washaway at Margaret Creek, which we managed to get across, but could get no further than Coward Springs - stranded once more! However, Coward Springs is a magic place to be, so we didn't mind too much. After 2 days we slip slided our way to William Creek, decided we had had enough mud, so did a run over to Coober Pedy. Goodness isn't bitumen smooth!!

We have had a lovely few days in Ayers Rock, but it is very expensive. The campground is lovely, but I think we were lucky not to be there in high season. I was very disappointed by the absolute dragonlady at the gate of the National Park. It is a strange welcome to one of our nations Icons. The absolute highlight however was going to the Sounds of Silence dinner in the desert, it was fabulous even if prohibitively expensive.

If you are going down the Great Central road prepare to be a bit bored - we regret now not having gone down the Gunbarrel. Make sure you visit the Giles Weather Station. Contrary to the Trek notes on this site, you don't have to make a booking, but be there by 8am for the tour and to see the weather balloon being let off. It is also a rare chance to see some of the original paintings by Len Beadell.

So now we are off to Meekathara, Cue and Mt. Magnet, and not far away from achieveing our goal of driving from east to west - Steep Point is not too far away.

Cheers,
Anne and Millny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:26

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:26
We were in Coward Springs in September and THE FLIES!!!!! Obviously, the wrong time to be there.

There was a man up on the toilet roof doing some repairs and when we commented on the fact that you couldn't eat anything or move anywhere without being swamped by the millions and millions of flies, he replied "What flies?" So I guess it's all relative. Would like to go back in winter and see if it is still the same.
Lynn
AnswerID: 63948

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 22:44

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 22:44
Anne,
the GCR may be a bit boring but at least you still have all your fillings! The GBH is one of the very worst roads for corrugations, and I swore I would never drive along it again (but probably will given half a chance). I'll be interested to hear how you feel when you finally see the Indian Ocean and wade into it :-)
AnswerID: 64016

Reply By: Puddin (Sydney) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:59

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:59
Good you are having a good trip & we enjoy your updates. Look forward to your next one. When at Meekathara visit the lady who won powerball last week $10 mil.
AnswerID: 64073

Sponsored Links