Keeping dust out

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:32
ThreadID: 13926 Views:2367 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
I need to pressurise the rear tub of my Hilux Dual Cab and was wondering if a small fan as used in caravan fridges and computers etc would do the job. The fan I have looked at is about 4inches diameter and delivers 72 cfm. I am interested if anyone else has tried something similar. I have no idea if 72 cfm is sufficient, but realise the tighter the compartment is sealed the better.

To this end I have an ARB canopy which is well sealed to the ute tub, and have foam around the tailgate to minimise leakage. The rear lift up door of the canopy is also well sealed. The Hilux tub has 2 water drain holes so there wont be much lost through these.

In the past I have had a flip up vent in the canopy which has been acceptable. Minimum dust most of the time, but occassionally huge amounts if on a slow track with a tail wind. The real issue is I have recently fitted a rooftop tent over the canopy mounted on ARB Racks, so the flip up vent will not operate effectivley now as the flip up is restricted and the airflow is changed by the rooftop tent and roof rack over the front cab, and I feel a fan pressurising will be a step forward anyway. However, it all needs to be compact, durable, minimal power usage etc and the fan I am seeking info about is all of these.

We use the vehicle for extended outback trips, Kimberleys, Canning SR, leaving soon for Googs Trackand on upto Darwin (Kakadu, Litchfield, Bungles etc) this year and Cape York next year, so whatever I do needs to work.

In my minds eye the fan appears to shift more air than what I imagine came in through the previous flip up vent at 30 or 40 kph, so it should be OK, but if there is someone out there who has been down this or a similar track (pardon the pun) I'd like to hear from you.
David, Albany WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 17:37

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 17:37
Have not used the fan idea but we did build a scoop on the roof of the Flexiglass canopy on the Bravo - worked very well (but as you say, in slow/tailwind conditions, its not much good). We brought the air catcher froward on our roof rack -still worked well - never had to dust seal the tailgate at all - the pressure while moving is a real winner. BOL with the fan.
AnswerID: 63958

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 19:33

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 19:33
I suffered the same fate with dust ingress and after a few desert miles the load turned to dust.......aaaah...sh*t. I do not profess to have any additional insights over what you have already said and been provided with but for my part your proposal will need a clean supply of air if it is going to work any better. That throws up all sorts of further complications. I understand your access limits but I would be inclined to re-examine the flap option or plumb in an alternative ram system. If you come up with an option that solves this problem sure would like to hear about it....and about 10,000 others I suspect. My only free ranging thought is that there may be scope to use an air cleaner box assembly with the fan fitted internally???

Good luck David
AnswerID: 63984

Reply By: jolls - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 23:00

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 23:00
David,

This is a little off track; however, you interested me greatly with tails of a roof top camper for a dual cab. I thought it would be too short. I am currently OS and have ordered a hilux dual cab for when I return. I currently have a dodge dakota and a pop top camper which has been great for touring the US (very little dirt stuff and when I do I leave the camper in a caravan park). If I can combine all my needs and save a few $K Id be even more impressed. What type of roof top camper is it? What is the rough price and how would it work with 3 billy lids. i.e. does it have an annex.

I will keep a close track of your pressurising idea, no use re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance for your thoughs and time.

Cheers

Craig

AnswerID: 64021

Follow Up By: jolls - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 23:30

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 23:30
that should be ..."thanks in advance for your thoughts and time."

Cheers
FollowupID: 325115

Follow Up By: Member - David- Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:16

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:16
Jolls,
The roof top tent is a new thing to us, havent done an extended trip yet. So far so good on a couple of weekends. Left it on for quite a while (weeks)to see if it went down bushy tracks without being ripped by overhanging branches etc. It is fine in that regard, just need to bare it in mind as you go. Doesnt fit under shopping centre carparks, and if your garage/carport is not high it may not go under.

Fits onto the ARB Bars over the canopy of the DCab OK. Before fitting it measures up as though it will hang out over the sides, but in fact it is ok. A bit tight between the rear of the roof rack and the tent as you need access for your hand to zip the cover on and off. I selected a square plastic covered type tubing bar for the ARB bars.

It is a Howling Moon brand, and I have mounted it to fold out over the LHS, as to the rear would interfere with opening the rear window upwards, and lifting the fridge lid would be difficult when out on the fridge slide also as it is up high on top of Outback Roller _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx. Otherwise you could fold it out to the rear or the RHS, or if you had it on bars over the cabin it could fold out over the car bonnett.

Cost around $2300, plus not much change out of $500 for the ARB Bars to sit it on, an expensive tent. There is an annexe (extra $400). I got sick of the tent, too much time setting up and down each day, problems with prickles in the floor, and too many rocks at the best campsites to get pegs in. We can be in bed within 5 minutes of turning the motor off with this, packing up takes a little longer, I reckon 5-8 minutes after some practice.

As for 3 kids, forget it without a tent also, it's really only a big double bed. The Shipshape brand is much bigger I think but you need a bigger wagon type vehicle to mount it on. Britz car rentals have Hilux 4wd DCabs fitted up with two of the Howling Moon tents, one over the cabin and on over the canopy and they look ok for a family, but the cost is getting pretty steep for two units. We came across a couple with a LR Defender DCab last year and they had two similar units on top of their vehicle and were travelling with 2 young children.

We thought the ladder would be a pain, but in fact it is easier to get up and down and in and out than getting up off the bed on the floor of the tent, especially in the night.

One last comment, if anyone goes for a Howling Moon, the extruded Alloy rails underneath the tent which mount onto whatever bars you have dont look the part to me, particularly when it gets down to the edges of 4 X 3/8" hexagon bolt heads holding the whole lot to the vehicle I dont reckon it would last on the tracks we go on. The corrugations would shake these loose. I replaced mine with 3 heavier alloy cross members with a good solid fastening system that still allows the unit to be slid fore and aft for adjustment.
Cheers
David
Still hoping someone can help with the dust and fan query
FollowupID: 325150

Reply By: Member - Ron H (Int) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:49

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:49
David
Computor fans may move a lot of air volume but do not have any pressure, to pressurise a space you need a blower as in your heater/aircon unit. You can buy these at a marine shop or auto wreckers , you need the whole unit which includes the housing around the fan ( get one from a small vehicle ) mount this on the side of your canopy near the roof and suck the air into the canopy through a felt filter to pressurise the space. This blower gives pressure and volume, put the switch in the cab for the driver to turn on and off as required and wire it up so it can only be used when the ignition is on. The felt filter can be removed and washed as required. you will need to make the filters yourself but with a bit of imagination it is not hard or expensive,if you need ideas let me know
I pressurise my landcruiser to keep out dust and it works excellent, I use removable felt filters and wash them daily if nessesary
regards
Ron
kiwikruiser
Gary Junction

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 64057

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:37

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:37
Hmmm, i have seen similar on a slide on camper unit, they used a small Davies Craig thermo fan blowing through a round air cleaner element, it looked nice and compact too..
FollowupID: 325196

Follow Up By: DARREN - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:45

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:45
Ron, you said that you use a felt filter in your LC (wagon), how do you do this? i.e. filter air coming through normal heater fan??
FollowupID: 325336

Reply By: Member - Ron H (Int) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 17:15

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 17:15
Darren
My felt filters are made with flexible magnetic plastic as used for stick on signs and fridge magnets, cut the lastic to cover the outside windscreen air intakes with plenty of overlap past the edges of the intake I then cut out a 50 mm wide strip from the centre the length of the intake grill around this stick on some sticky velcroe hook tape, cut some felt which is available from most sewing shops to cover this hooked tape then sew the fluffy velcroe tape to the edges of the felt.
place your magnet on the vent then the felt on top, take off the felt and wash as nessesary, for xtra protection do the same around the window wiper drive holes for xtra pressure inside keep windows closed and cover most of the vehicles ventilation outlets with duct tape,
regards
Ron
kiwikruiser
Gary Junction

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 64233

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)