OME BP-51 suspension

Submitted: Friday, Nov 08, 2019 at 20:55
ThreadID: 139296 Views:14007 Replies:11 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I am about to upgrade / add 2 inch lift to my 2019 Prado 150 GXL with OME BP51 shocks
What are you thoughts on these?
Are they worth the price?
I was originally looking at tough dog or beilstein
Are you running something better?
I drive a lot of highway km’s so want a good ride on road and then off road when I go.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Brent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Nov 08, 2019 at 22:32

Friday, Nov 08, 2019 at 22:32
Would the "upgrade" come before or after the rear tow points Brent?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628586

Follow Up By: Brent N2 - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:22

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:22
Doing now together
FollowupID: 903032

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Nov 08, 2019 at 22:42

Friday, Nov 08, 2019 at 22:42
If you tow or carry weight.
Buy koni
They are bulletproof with heavy loads compared to the rest on the market.
You might actually save a few bucks if you go with koni compared to the whizz bang exxy bp51.

Bilsteins are a great shock but only for shopping trolley town vehicles...
Dont ever touch them for touring or towing.
They cant handle the heat and hard tracks, corrigated roads

I have ... well had OME suspension and the leaf design is garbage.
Soo much the front leaf failed 3times.
Replaced the front with ultimate leaf springs and couldnt be happier.

Once the OME shocks get stuffed koni shocks are going in.
I had a full OME kit put in.
Woefull aftersales backup.
Took me 10 phone calls.
About 5emails
And funny thing is i ended up going through a tjm dealer to get the OME replacement leaf spring.
I got charged a extra 100 to get what i asked for
And Tjm delivered it as promised.
They even personally delivered it to me, 3hr drive !! One way...
Mitchell bros in sydney !!
Newcastle arb was a pathetic joke to deal with.
Emailed arb head office and well ...
Didnt really get much resolved with either the craaaap service
Or the poor design flaw of the leaf spring itself

Never buying OME suspension ever AGAIN
Id hate to think if i was up cape york or in the simmo and had to deal with arb again
Id be stuffed
AnswerID: 628587

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 01:28

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 01:28
QUOTE: "Bilsteins are a great shock but only for shopping trolley town vehicles...
They cant handle the heat and hard tracks, corrigated roads''.

Damn, I wish I'd known that a long time ago, I might have gotten a longer life than 25+ years with Bilsteins in my 4x4 wagon in Centralian and Topend conditions, including repeated trips up to 45 degrees while hammering along the 900km corrugated old Stuart Hwy between the NT Border and Pimba.

Guess you learn the hard way about buying good quality gear.
FollowupID: 903031

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:29

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:29
MM
What experience do you base the lack of Bilstein endorsement on?
I have Bilsteins and done some rough country and as Phil noted, they work quite well. In my vehicle they transformed the suspension control. handling AND braking ability. Your OME springs must have been bad steel quality as the design is much the same for years.
I did buy OME yellow shocks a couple of times but they lasted far less time than expected. replaced at 30,000km because they really didn't dampen well at all. Still had gas in them though. The Bilsteins in similar work have lasted at least three times as long and still going and feel like new.
I agree Koni is very good.

I used to deal a lot with my ARB store but it changed hands and when asked if they would sell me their products at trade, I am trade related, they said they don't have to give trade price to me. Nothing bought from them since. Other establishments, no problem.
FollowupID: 903033

Follow Up By: OBJ - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 11:17

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 11:17
X 2 for Konis. Took my vehicle across the Simpson abut 2 months ago via the Madigan line. Others compained about 'shock fade' . Konis never even gave a hint of giving up.

As I was told when I bought them .. "smart buyers buy once".
FollowupID: 903034

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 13:51

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 13:51
Bilsteins are a great shock but only for shopping trolley town vehicles...
They cant handle the heat and hard tracks, corrigated roads

What a load of wank...
FollowupID: 903035

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 14:26

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 14:26
Lcool is also full of posts of people disappointed with their Billstein choices. And a few reports of breakages.
FollowupID: 903036

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 14:27

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 14:27
X3 for Koni
FollowupID: 903037

Follow Up By: Member - moystonwines - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:06

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:06
I wish I'd known how bad Bilsteins were prior to buying my first set...........in 1991. They accumulated 390,000 km on 2 x 80 series and 1 x 100 series Landcruisers and were still on the 100 series in 2008. The second set went on a 76 series in 2008 and then on my current 76 in 2014 and have done 250,000km since 2008.

2 sets over 5 vehicles and 28 years totalling 640,000km. I'm sticking with Bilsteins and not listening to sweeping generalisations based on ?????.
FollowupID: 903087

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 08:42

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 08:42
Went down that road 12 months ago and decided to try Monroe Gas-Magnum TDT shocks for the front of the Colorado. Pleased with both the price and performance.
My local mechanic recommended them to me and supplied and performed the work. The original shocks were starting to leak.
Will also fit them to the rear when I need to replace the original shocks. Can't fault them.
I am not a rock hopper and also drive mainly on the bitumen, except when I "go bush" in this great country of ours, then I will drive wherever the Vehicle is capable of taking me.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 628588

Reply By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 11:45

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 11:45
I upgraded my suspension before trip to Kimberley with Bilstein shocks. Both tears failed on road into Mitchell Falls. Replaced with Konis given their superior heat tolerance. Expensive lesson.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628590

Follow Up By: mountainman - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 19:58

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 19:58
some people cant be told.
Great to see you are the wiser.
FollowupID: 903040

Reply By: friar - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 12:05

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 12:05
Zordos 4x4 Suspension Brisbane, John will discuss all your requirements like load,towing, I have a 120 Series Prado, went with the Dobson Monotube shocks & springs, He has done hundreds of Prado,s, with different set up’s.

AnswerID: 628592

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 12:44

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 12:44
Consideration of suspension depends largely on vehicle weight and where you are going to take the vehicle.
If it is only bitumen and graded tracks then probably any major brand shocks will do.
But if you are going on rough tracks, particularly extensive corrugations such as the Anne Beadell Hwy then you may wish to install a shocker you can really depend on.
Koni shocks stand head and shoulders above the rest but, of course, are at a premium purchase price. Mind you, that price is not so great when they survive 120,000km over some of Australia's roughest tracks as my Koni's have done on my heavy Troopy.

I no longer carry spare shockers as I once did when I had Tough Dogs. That was useful too when a front Tough Dog failed at 500km on fair roads. Warranty was denied too. That is when I changed the lot to Koni's.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 628593

Follow Up By: OBJ - Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 16:45

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 16:45
Yep. My Konis were faultless. As the man said .. "Smart People Buy Once". Very true!!!
FollowupID: 903038

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:19

Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:19
I disagree that Bilsteins are for shopping trolleys.

The main advantage of single tube gas shocks like Bilsteins is that they dissipate heat better than twin tubes. This is also their major failing as if you dent the outer panel with a rock hit they become useless.

I have had Bilsteins and Konis and have lost rear Bilsteins through denting on a Range Rover Classic.
I have Konis on my Camper trailer. The first set lasted only about 15 years but were not economically rebuildable so I had to buy new ones which I still have.
My opinion is that most shocks that are produced by the brand name on them are OK. I currently have Munro TFTs on my Disco and they have been around OZ including the GRR. They do not leak but feel a bit soft. Own brand shocks are mainly suspect as they are mostly produced by COFAP in Brazil or China.

I think that many people have problems with Bilsteins because they choose the "sport" versions which are far too stiff for corrugations. The comfort versions give a much better ride and do not cause the suspension to "jack down" by having too stiff rebound settings. The Mercedes experience on theCanning Stock Route illustrate this where the Sport shocks all failed but the stock shocks survived.
The fabulous cost of Konis can be recouped if you plan to keep the car for 10 years or so, but you can buy 2 or 3 sets of cheapies like Munro TFTs for the same money.
I will probably replace mine before the next big trip with another set or KYBs which also have a good reputation.
AnswerID: 628598

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:44

Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:44
Snap. 2 Phil's & 2 Rangies.

My trips on the old Stuart Hwy were in varying weather conditions and definitely varying road conditions due to when you hit the graded sections and the car was always fairly heavily loaded as I was posted away a fair bit so all I needed was stored in it. Despite that I never had any physical damage to the Bilstein's even with dirt cruising speeds between 80 - 120 kph. The track surface went from driving through soft sand just after grading, with occasional rocks graded back in, then a couple of weeks of beautiful surface that standard cars were happy with then it deteriorated to teeth jarring corrugations before the grading happened again. Pimba to Kingoonya always seemed to be rocky and a hammer fixed the dented rims.

I wouldn't categorically state that Bilstein's are the greatest and suit all vehicles and driver abuse but neither would I make silly statements that any particular well known brand of shock absorber was rubbish regardless of vehicle they were fitted to. Maybe it's that they didn't choose something that was properly matched to their vehicle and their level of abuse that they inflicted on them.

When one of mine did eventually give up I had to source another well known brand that was off the shelf and there was an immediate difference that I could feel and didn't particularly like, but that's not the same as saying it was rubbish, it was just different in ride quality.
FollowupID: 903043

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at 13:08

Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at 13:08
Yes it's luck of the draw with dents.
I ended up making up guards for mine from perforated steel strip sold by Bunnings, and stood off in front of the shocks. Maybe reduced the airflow a bit but they still worked OK.

My Camper Konis took incredible torture with no paint left at all on the front of the shocks. I think my now newish ones are the same. I could hardly read the model number on them they were so beat up.
The rear TFTs on my Disco have not much paint on the front sides now.
FollowupID: 903045

Follow Up By: GarryR - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019 at 16:50

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019 at 16:50
I have used bilsteins in offroad racing many years ago on an offroad buggy racing in the National rounds.. I never had a problem with them. Admittedly they were not stock off the shelf shocks, as I was able to purchase rebuildable tubes where I could adjust (nominate) the compression rate and rebound rate to what I thought suited me. I think it is horses for courses. Shocker fade it the biggest problem on most vechiles due to heat. Not many people stop for a while to let everything cool down hence seal damage etc. I have also run Koni's and rate them an excellent shock, but have also destroyed them due to stone and heat damage along with bilsteins.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903093

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 06:29

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 06:29
I have no experience with the bp51 but i would suggest what is important if you are travelling tough roads is a shocker with a extremely strong body . when you have coil over suspension because if in the event you do happen to break the eye off
the vehicle is relying on this item.. not so much with a conventional shock .
When i started asking about this after we had this happen it is not uncommon , so it is important to have a strong shock under you ...
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 628613

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 19:59

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 19:59
You get to wonder if Brent actually reads the responses. For sure, he does not acknowledge them!
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 628625

Follow Up By: OBJ - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 21:35

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 21:35
I agree. A simple 'thanks' to those that choose to respond would be nice.
It makes you not bother to respond to others in the future.
OBJ
FollowupID: 903082

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 22:46

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019 at 22:46
Similarly, there was no response from Brent to his "Rear Tow Point" thread a week ago.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 903083

Reply By: Myles F - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019 at 23:39

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019 at 23:39
Having just gone through the exercise with my 100 Series, my thoughts are this: Koni 90’s, standard King springs, EFS torsion bars, air bags in rear if I have the caravan hitched. Given the original suspension had sagged it is now back to standard and a tad more of about 20mm. This was also part of a 380kg GVM upgrade.
All of the suspension suppliers wanted to sell me whatever they made the most profit on. I also beefed up my torsion bar brackets and none of the “suppliers” knew how to do it properly.
Have a look at the LCOOL site. Don’t skimp. I am a qualified mechanic.
AnswerID: 628651

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Thursday, Nov 14, 2019 at 07:03

Thursday, Nov 14, 2019 at 07:03
Interesting thoughts having similar set up in our land cruiser which we no longer touring . we have EFS torsion bars and shock absorbers had King Springs in the back which I found to be too high when not loaded and went back to standard springs with airbag .
With all due respect I would consider our Cruiser to probably have the worst ride in a vehicle you could have . IMO feeling every bump and riding something like a brick . Of course this may be due to the shock absorbers and with koni's may be so much better .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903099

Follow Up By: Myles F - Thursday, Nov 14, 2019 at 09:19

Thursday, Nov 14, 2019 at 09:19
King springs, as most springs do, come in a couple of different models affecting ride height and "stiffness" etc. I chose the standard height springs by default as a higher spring means a stiffer spring, hence a standard spring with a nominal 20mm height increase for no load and a bit air in the airbags for when loaded up. Obviously this cost more with the price of the airbags but covers all bases without sacrificing ride quality. In fact my ride quality has improved as the King springs are a tad stiffer than the standard springs which were too soft. I now have an adjustable rear suspension.
I chose King springs because they have are Australian made and have a lifetime warranty guaranteeing they will not sag by more than 10mm.
Having previously had a vehicle with a 50mm raised suspension and given the issues of CV joints, universal joint alignment, too high and stiff with no load etc. I made my decision on my setup without succumbing to the hype of the suppliers and internet bloggers.
I travel remotely and having a more "standard" vehicle with quality components means a more reliable and safer vehicle. Hence, also, this is why I chose the Koni Raid 90's. IMO.
FollowupID: 903102

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, Nov 15, 2019 at 13:30

Friday, Nov 15, 2019 at 13:30
Myles : I should have been more clearer when I replied , I don't have a problem with King Springs have had them before on an 80 series and found them to be fantastic ride . I have got two sets of rear's for the 100 series but neither pair was I happy with the height ..supposably one of the set were standard height . We have found the combination of standard springs and airbag works very well for general use ,lite caravan and float etc . My real complaint is the EFS torsion bars I find are just too rigid . May be combined with the EFS shock absorbers . The vehicle isn't jacked up it may be a slight bit higher than standard the vehicle is level unlike some you see with their tails up .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903130

Reply By: Member - maccax7 - Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 22:42

Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 22:42
Hi Brent, I hope my reply is not too late.
I've had BP 51's on my 2010 79 series ute and now my 2017 Sahara wagon.
Absolutely superb. Towing a 3.1 Tonne van I wind the rears up 3 notches and when it's off it's back 3 notches and drives down the road like a Sahara should. Did the Simpson 2 years ago in the 79 and absolutely no issues.
Good luck.
Looking forward to every weekend being a looong weekend

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628860

Sponsored Links