Vic High Country current Fire restrictions

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2019 at 21:15
ThreadID: 139331 Views:7777 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day I have tried the search function but am not getting any recent information. Have tried Parks Vic without much success. Am planning a trip down over Christmas New Year but am wondering with the current drought conditions what are the chances of Parks being closed etc. State Forests north of Sydney have a blanket ban on all fires till next year and NSW National Parks are closing parks on ever increasing days of Total Fire Ban is it probably better to give it a miss this year. Any tips or suggestions on who to contact down there much appreciated. Cheers Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Nov 18, 2019 at 08:26

Monday, Nov 18, 2019 at 08:26
The High Country is a vast area and it is much too early I would think to determine the likelihood of closures over the summer. My son spent a week or so in parts around Mansfield two weeks ago and got soaked every day. The roads from Dargo and Omeo to Mt Hotham were closed due to snow and rain related issues. I suspect it is drier to the east but December can be quite wet and drenching storms are not uncommon. It would be unusual for the parks to be closed but total fire bans happen on average around 8 to 10 times each summer. I think all you can do is closely watch the weather and determine your plans based on the 7 day forecasts. Good luck with it - it is God's own country up there.
AnswerID: 628700

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Monday, Nov 18, 2019 at 14:28

Monday, Nov 18, 2019 at 14:28
Check this CFA site for current restrictions.

https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/restrictions-during-the-fire-danger-period
AnswerID: 628709

Reply By: safaris - Monday, Nov 18, 2019 at 23:03

Monday, Nov 18, 2019 at 23:03
Thanks for the info I will re assess in 4 weeks. I have just removed my tractor and motorbikes from our property adj Yango NP so realise conditions can change dramatically from one day to the next. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 628716

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2019 at 22:11

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2019 at 22:11
It would be wise to give it a miss this year as you already mentioned.
The fire season has already taken a heavy toll on both country and humans and animals.
Be wise to visit the communities battered by them already with very much needed tourism dollars, and hard earned money spent in the battered towns and districts.
Let alone a warm friendly gday .

Dont see the fires letting up anytime soon unless we get much much more rain like today
Than camp as much as you want :-)

I need my itch scratched too
Not STD or hormoneyyy

Mountain air therapy
AnswerID: 628816

Sponsored Links