Bright to Dargo

Submitted: Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 20:28
ThreadID: 139442 Views:12165 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Is the Dargo High Plains Road suitable to tow a semi off road caravan on? Is it gravel or sealed?

I have been up the road to Mt. Hotham and it is very twisty. That does not worry me.

Cheers
Duncan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 20:47

Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 20:47
The High Plains Road is unsealed. It is undulating and twisty but generally speaking it is in relatively good condition normally. There are signs as you head up the other side ie from Harrietville suggesting the road is unsuitable for caravans. Can't remember if there are any on the Dargo side though - the gradient is much less steep. Fair bit of low gear work from Hotham heading down the hill.

I guess it depends on what you are towing with and just how big your van is. There are some narrow bits and a few steep pinches but I have towed my hybrid that is around 2t up there. Just keep your eyes peeled for drongos who think the speed limit is a minimum requirement.
AnswerID: 629176

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 04:48

Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 04:48
Thankyou

I am towing with a late model Mazda BT50. The width may be my problem.

Duncan
FollowupID: 903914

Reply By: Swaggie - Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 21:12

Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 21:12
Keep your eye out for cattle also,they roam freely.
Just take your time, seen a few cars smashed due to driving to fast (could see where they lost it in the gravel)).

Double check a fire app before you go.

Goodluck

AnswerID: 629177

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 22:52

Friday, Dec 20, 2019 at 22:52
Hi Duncan,

It's unsealed until about the turn-off to Grant IIRC. You may need low range for the descents - if you have a Scangauge or similar I'd be interested in your Transmission temps on the descent - a Ranger/BT50 characteristic we've discussed.

I've taken my Karavan in both directions a number of times with absolutely no issue. There are a couple of narrow parts that could be a bit tight for you with on-coming traffic, but negotiable if I recall your van correctly. Is your van full width? - I can't remember.

Are you thinking of Talbotville via Grant? Again, I've taken my Karavan down there, but IIRC it would be marginal for you, I think.

Regards to Prue and Merry Christmas to you both.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629178

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 04:46

Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 04:46
Thankyou Frank.

I will talk to you more when I see you at Jugiong.

Our caravan is full width. I should have done it when I had the KK!!

Happy Christmas to you and Joy and family.

Duncan
FollowupID: 903913

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 06:37

Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 06:37
Take it easy and you shouldn't have any problems, we travelled from Dargo to Harrietville with a friend in her Hilux and Avan 499 poptop van a couple of years ago, being single she is very cautious but slow and steady is the go. Look out for the wallies going too fast, mostly 4wd's, often with camper trailers.
AnswerID: 629179

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 07:01

Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 07:01
You should be fine width wise. Trucks get through ok.

I don't know your plans obviously but have you considered Omeo as an alternative? Access to Dargo from Omeo is an easy run for a day trip without towing and you can then visit the likes of Talbotville etc and make your own determinations of suitability for your set up. There is a good caravan park at Omeo and lots to see and do. Wherever you go up there is going to be steep and a bit narrow.

The area is 4wd Heaven hence the warnings re speed. The older 4wds with P plates can be a bit scary!!
AnswerID: 629180

Reply By: Ron A - Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 08:39

Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 08:39
As others have indicated you should have no issues getting through provided there is no decent rain prior to your trip. Take your time and use your gears to slow down. Cattle will start heading up from Dargo around Boxing Day. If you can manage to see them being moved it is an experience to see. Plenty of good free camping along the Dargo River. Would avoid camping behind the Pub over New Year unless you don't need a lot of sleep.
AnswerID: 629181

Reply By: Member - Graham D2 - Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 09:40

Saturday, Dec 21, 2019 at 09:40
As Kennell said there are signs at the Hotham end (I think they mention unsuitable for vans and anything over 12m) but not at the Dargo end. We went to come down from Hotham but there was heavy fog (50m visibility) and as we had not travelled the road before we went the long way via Omeo & Bairnsdale and approached Dargo from the South. Once in Dargo we mentioned to the General Store owner what we had done and they said no signs at their end and at times cattle trucks and fuel semi's use the road (different Shire's control each end)
I think coming from the north you just have to be careful the last 20kms into Dargo as it is quite steep.
AnswerID: 629182

Sponsored Links