Madigan Camp 1 (not 1A) from Mac Clark reserve

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 18:15
ThreadID: 139600 Views:7734 Replies:3 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Wishing to drive from "Old Andado" to Mac Clark Conservation Reserve then direct to Madigan Camp 1 thence 1A then Camp 2, then onto to Camp 5 etc. etc. Have heard that navigation is a bit tricky at that area leaving the Reserve. Also no two maps are the same, some showing 'private' like Hema from 1A to 1. Conflicting stories regarding whether you can actually go to Camp 1 (not 1A) and also Camp 2 which is on a pastoral lease. Can a recent traveller tell me the 'good stuff' and any detailed instructions on leaving the gate at the reserve.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 19:14

Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 19:14
Hi Triton Man,

After you have been in and looked at the Waddi Trees, retrace you tracks until the fence. At this point, take a sharp left turn and then just follow the track on the outside of the reserve and then the track will change direction and you will turn left again.

It would be advisable to waypoint the camps, as when you reach the cattle yards further out, the track can be either blown over with sand, or cut up by the cattle.. the further you get out, you will then be on a well worn path through the gibber country.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629753

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 19:44

Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 19:44
Thanks Stephen, will print this out and take with me. Is there only one gate, and that would be on the western side I presume.

FollowupID: 904827

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 20:35

Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 20:35
As you drive into the Reserve, there is the main boundary fence, which you will not miss. Gates can come and go but as you come back out you will see the track that goes around the main boundary fence. It you miss the track, you will end out back on the Old Andado Track that in that area goes north and south
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904828

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 21:46

Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 21:46
Camp 1 is on private property and not accessible. Camp 1A substitutes and carries the plaque.
Camp 2 is on Traditional Owners land who ask that people don’t visit as this is a women’s sacred site. There is no substitute site.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 629758

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 07:16

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 07:16
Hi Allan

Looks like things have changed out there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904831

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 08:49

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 08:49
Yes Stephen..... Enjoy it while you can!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904834

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:53

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:53
Thanks Stephen and Allan, was wondering who was last there, Stephen or Allan?. My understanding (or perhaps misunderstanding) is that Camp 1 was on Andado pastoral lease and generally O.K. to visit if approved by Andado station in advance. Not a big deal I suppose, plenty of sand and dunes out there anyway for everyone.

Summary, best to plan 1A then to 5, is that the 'go' - what about the "Twins" with a walk up to the top to the Cairn, is that still accessable, I thought Camp 2 and the Twins were almost at the same spot ?

Triton Man
FollowupID: 904847

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:57

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:57
August 2019.

The "Twins" is OK, but you must walk, not drive.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904849

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 13:01

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 13:01
Thanks Allan, - appreciated. I saw a DVD with Vic Widman up there about 4 or 5 years ago
FollowupID: 904850

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 14:13

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 14:13
We went to Camp 1, Triton Man, about 2.5 yrs ago. One of the group had earlier spoken to the Boss at “New Crown”, for permission. I spoke to a lady at “Andado” in relation to another Madigan trip(but not Camp 1) and they seem very laid back about travellers accessing their lease, except perhaps when they are mustering.

Camp 1 is similar to many of the abandoned wells on the Canning, travel there to say you’ve been there, but avoid it on later trips. You’ll need the GPS co ordinates otherwise I doubt you’ll find the peg. The local bovines appear to delight in moving the peg on a regular basis.

It’s probably 20-30 mins back over the dunes from Camp 1A, along 2 wheel tracks, and peg is on southern side of these wheel tracks.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904854

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 15:47
The marker at camp 1 is fragile.

The markers at all the other camps were erected by David Owen and Robert Correa in 1994 after much research and at a time when there was no track whatsoever. We all owe them a debt of great gratitude.

David Owen returned in June 2017 with his family and repainted all the camp markers bright yellow.

FollowupID: 904859

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 16:07

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020 at 16:07
The Twins has a number of memorial plaques:

The plaque in the last photo was erected by Reg Sprigg and others in May 1962. Reg Sprigg drove the first vehicle across the Simpson Desert, accompanied by his wife and children. The family also founded Arkaroola.

FollowupID: 904861

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 14:23

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 14:23
John C16, I was out there with David and Joan Owen in 2004 when they ran a tour company called Aussie Tracks. On that trip David sprayed the posts bright yellow to make them easier to see. Sounds like they got a repaint in 2017? His work to turn the Madigan line into a desert track was excellent.
We went via Camp 1, Camp 1A, Camp 2 and the twins then direct cross country to the Colson Track and again cross country to camp 6.Camp 1 was a little hard to find back then and he said they put in 1A because the country was a bit difficult around Camp 1.

FollowupID: 904888

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 14:43

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 14:43
Here is a screen shot of the track file to camp 1. Its a fair way off the main track. Looks to be in a different location to that post in your photo. Its was pretty overgrown where we went.

FollowupID: 904890

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 15:30

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 15:30
Wow, thanks Phil G for that, especially the Track File picture - that is perfect. I can see that track line on ExploreOZ coming up from East Bore. It appears there is an exit straight to 1A with a distance of 10 klms. I have a lat. long for Camp 1 as well. When we did the Canning in 2017, some wells were damn hard to find but we got to each and every one, a couple meant getting out of the vehicle and bush bashing by feet.

John C16, thanks heaps for all your info and the images also, I am amazed at how much info you guys have and your willingness to share.

BTW Phil, there appears to be a track to Camp 1 via Rieks Dam to the north, then turning East, the ExploreOz has more tracks around this area, just to confuse us me thinks. Thanks again for the good stuff and the Track File picture, Bob Y suggests the bovines may move them around. I can understand getting them down, but re-posting them ! - really !! Phil, did you backtrack to East Bore to get out again or did you go direct to 1A, not sure when your track was snapped. Triton Man
FollowupID: 904892

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 21:20

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 21:20
Phil G.
I’m envious of your 2004 trip. Madigan’s would have been true cross country driving then.

I know the camp marker posts were repainted in June 2017 because that month I drove from Mac Clarke Conservation Reserve to Birdsville and back via Madigan’s Line in both directions. Outbound the posts were in their usual weathered state. On the way back they were freshly painted. Unfortunately I didn’t get to meet the Owens. Their vehicles passed me in the opposite direction when I was camped well off the track. I learned who they were by their entries in the visitor books.

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 904900

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 23:13

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 23:13
Tritonman, yeah came back from Camp 1 via East Bore - same way we came in.

John, it was great to do it with the Owens back then - they actually advertised it here on Exploroz back in 2004, so I jumped at the opportunity. They are awesome people - good to know they are still getting out on the Madigan. I had a few good years back then - after doing the Madigan in 2004, did the Hay River 2005 and redid most of the Madigan again in 2006. I need to get out there again, but been busy filling in the gaps on my wall map of Australia!
In 2004, it was developing into a formed track between camps 6 and 15, except we took a deviation to Madigans Oval (between camps 11 and 12). But the going was tough with all the spinifex moguls - In the 7 vehicles most people had a problem of some sort - mostly punctures but David Owen is the best in the business at plugging tyres.
Here's a photo of Madigan's oval. There was a visitors book there - its off the main track.

FollowupID: 904904

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2020 at 17:58
I went through here in 2018 and it really isn't clear where the start is as where Hema has shown a track there is now a road block requesting people not access the area, what does one do, well you grab the sat phone and call Mt Dare and ask to speak to Cobby.

Essentially you go back out past the stockyard and then follow the fenceline around the park which leads you back onto the Madigan Line proper, from there is is quite an easy track to follow apart from those that have incorrect tyre pressures or towing without experience and creating huge holes on the approaches

cheers
AnswerID: 629789

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Thursday, Jan 30, 2020 at 15:05

Thursday, Jan 30, 2020 at 15:05
Thanks Cookie1,

Have seen that track before from others so that is what I will do, did a printout and a paper mud map with some notes. seems like everyone has been there now except me. Hope they don't have parking meters or 1 hour park limits at the reserve (just joking). BTW, took two grandkids to Uluru last July, last opprtunity to climb the rock. What a shamozzle that was.
FollowupID: 904911

Sponsored Links