Brisbane to Lawn Hill NP

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 07:03
ThreadID: 139639 Views:9769 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct spot or Avenue to ask this info but I am solo riding (2011 VStrom 1000) from Brisbane to Lawn Hill NP in July this year to meet friends and am after any relevant info that people may have. This could be best routes, road conditions, places to see, etc. At this point I'm looking at weaving my way diagonally through central QLD to Camooweal then up however have just seen some reports saying there is a couple of really rocky river crossings that way. I'm now a bit hesitant doing that when riding solo. Anyway, any advice would be extremely welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Darren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozi M - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:20

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:20
We were there 2 years ago, the Camooweal to Lawn Hill road is the worst road surface I have ever driven on.

Many sharp edged rocks as part of the surface, tyres that are cut can't be repaired.

Been on worse roads but the surfaces were not tyre killers
AnswerID: 629899

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:24

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:24
Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up mate. I haven't really heard any flattering reports. I might look at an alternate route.
Thanks again for the info!!!
FollowupID: 905052

Reply By: braincell - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:55

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:55
Agree with OZI, I went on that road a few years back . Road was very rocky , I've been on worse but in I'd call it plain bad .
AnswerID: 629902

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 10:08

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 10:08
Thanks braincell. Definitely will look for another option.
FollowupID: 905055

Reply By: Geof C - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:55

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:55
Best & easiest way to lawn hill is from Cloncurry up to Bourke & Wills roadhouse then up to Gregory (camping grounds there). from there it's an easy run to Lawn Hill.
AnswerID: 629903

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:06

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:06
Awesome, thanks so much Geof
FollowupID: 905062

Reply By: Athol W1 - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:59

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:59
Darren

I agree with the previous answers to your question.

I have been there a number of times over the years and have used all the available roads, but not for about the last 4, and I would suggest you look at Cloncurry to Bourke & Wills Roadhouse, then Gregory Downs to Lawn Hill. This is a sealed road to Gregory Downs, then a usually well maintained dirt to the turn off to the mine site, and could be anything gravel from there.

This will give the shortest distance to travel on poor roads.

Enjoy your trip.
Athol
AnswerID: 629904

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:08

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:08
Brilliant! Thanks so much for the info Athol.
FollowupID: 905063

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:13

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:13
Another way would be to Gregory via Cloncurry and turn off at Burke and Wills Road House. From Gregory it,s about 100k of part chopped bitumen and gravel which can be a bit rough.

Alternatively take the Thompson development road about 100 ks west of The Isa. It's sealled for about 100k then a god gravel road which meets up with the Camooweal road to Riversleigh. Some friends did it last year with a caravan and said it was Ok with a couple rough bits.
AnswerID: 629905

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:09

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:09
Great. Thanks Racey. I'll check that out in the map too
FollowupID: 905064

Follow Up By: DiggZ - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 14:59

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 14:59
Is the Thompson development road the same as the Thorntonia Yelvertoft rd? That’s the only one that I can see oboist 100 is west of the Isa.
FollowupID: 905075

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 08:56

Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 08:56
Not sure DiggZ. Ive had a look and the only Thomson Dev Rd I can find is west of Quilpie and up to Longreach.
FollowupID: 905142

Reply By: Member BarryG - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:28

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:28
Haven't been for a few years, but from memory, the Riversleigh section was by far the worst, with great big sharp rocks all over the road surface.
AnswerID: 629906

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:10

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:10
Yeah thanks Barry. Seems to be the consensus. I think I'll look for an alternative
FollowupID: 905065

Reply By: Zippo - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:33

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:33
We went from Normanton (because we were there!) across to Burketown, Gregory Pub to Lawn Hill (just after the fire destroyed a lot of the Adel's Grove infrastructure). The only bit that wasn't good/black_stuff was the bit after Gregory - started decent, then the seal was broken and holey, degenerating after the minesite to serious corros.

Leaving Boodjamulla NP (Adel's Grove) to the SOUTH via Riversleigh was rough until meeting the Gregory to Barkly Hwy road, then decent all the way down - but probably still a better bet than back to Gregory. FYI there's a watercourse (Louie Creek) about 10k down which lunched a Mitsubishi van engine when he was crawling through it. Knee deep usually, uneven rocky bottom, not sure how your laden bike will deal with it. There is more water across that road further down, but bitumen/concrete crossings and not deep or any concern.

Ex Brissie I'd be thinking the direct route - Barcaldine - Winton - Cloncurry - Gregory
AnswerID: 629907

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:12

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:12
That's exactly the info I am looking for Zippo. Thanks heaps. Pretty sure I'll take the more direct route.
FollowupID: 905066

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 13:51

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 13:51
Daz,
Apart from the road and crossing info supplied what mods, alterations or precautions have you made/done to the Vstrom, a good bike!
I owned an '08 DL1000 for ten years and saw some on the Oodnadatta track in 2010. One fellow crashed and was badly hurt and a doctor in the group riding a 1000 Vstrom slid off on sandy marble surface and broke gear lever and other bits. Unrideable unless prepared with spares or really savvy with bikes. Just the OE front Tyre will be great for bitumen but any gravel and other situations really requires a very open tread on the front at least. If you EVER have to brake hard Oe tyres on gravel and sandy stuff just don't cut the mustard in emergencies. Riding solo you want to have things a bit in your favour. Comfortable and a good bike, having the suspension raised a bit and the rear adjusted to handle the load will ensure some vital clearance in sudden unexpected dips which bottom the suspension unless prepared prior to travel. You didn't mention your bike experience or mechanical capabilities so some suggestions worth considering supplied here. I have owned a series of large capacity trail bikes as well and ridden bikes more than 200,000km. PS, A BMW R100GS I owned was by far the thirstiest and the worst bike, handling, braking and suspension very sub standard, as for reliability, well we won't mention that. Only two good days with that one, purchase day and selling day. Vstroms will do 250,000km and not give trouble.
AnswerID: 629910

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:26

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 18:26
RMD....thanks so much for taking the time to write such a lengthy response. All absolutely critical info and appreciated. To be honest I wouldn't have thought to pack a spare gear lever but will now. Such a small piece but so important.
As far as mods go, I will be putting on new tyres for the trip (at LEAST 50/50 tyres), have replaced the stock hand guards with bark busters to protect the levers, have crash bars and a sump guard. My mechanical skills are pretty basic so will be prepping the bike as well as I can but I think I know enough to get me out of reasonable trouble. I'll also be getting my mechanic to do a full inspection prior to leaving.
As far as suspension goes I'll utilise the adjustability of the rear preload once loaded but don't think there's much I can do up front excluding an upgrade.
I seriously appreciate the advice you've passed on here RMD and will definitely make use of it.
Thankyou!!!
And if you think of any other information please don't hesitate to pass it on.
FollowupID: 905067

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 08:16

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 08:16
Daz
I removed the OE luggage carrier, too small and pretty useless for touring, and made a much wider longer rack with bag hoop bolted to the top. It bolted to OE points. That way my gear bag, when touring, could be rotated to the front and became a back rest too and the larger rack I made used for additional gear. Tent, food sleeping bag etc. I still have that, I kept it when bike sold. Available for someone if they require it. I added a switch on the battery and wires run in fairing along inside, to a ciggy outlet so reaching through the steering gap a navigator/GPS could be plugged in and used on the clear screen mounts. I also added side LED indicators, tapped off wring to front indicators so when pulled up at intersections, drivers can see a side flasher to know where you are going. Got stopped one day by Head of Vic Police bike section and he asked about them and then had some fitted to theirs. I carried 1 Litre of additional fuel in an aluminium drink bottle as insurance. There are a lot of steps in a litre of bike fuel. If going through rocky crossings, boots off, runners ON and walk beside for surety, simply riding through unkown slippery rocks will unload everything, then it is recovery and what you lost in the water is lost.
FollowupID: 905070

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 22:58

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 22:58
Your custom rack sounds very interesting. You wouldn't have any pics of it would you? Might make one similar
FollowupID: 905081

Reply By: Shane M11 - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 18:37

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 18:37
Hi Daz,

Maybe have a look at this site https://advrider.com/f/forums/australia.32/

There is a thread about V-Stroms in there with heaps of info and recommendations about tyres and gear etc.

Also the second weekend in August the Off Centre Rally is on at Adels Grove there will be nearly 200 riders attending. Thread here https://advrider.com/f/threads/ocr-2020.1379244/

You could easily find some traveling mates if this suited your time frame.

If you do travel alone think of carrying a personal epirb or a spot tracker or similar.

Biggest thing when travelling alone on the bike I found is as soon as you realise your not focused even for a moment stop and have a break. That's when you'll get caught out - don't ask how I know.

Shane
AnswerID: 629923

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 20:49

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 20:49
Totally agree with being focussed , Shane.
Part of that is hydration, it’s so easy to not drink enough on a bike . And food too!
When you dehydrate your concentration suffers, then mistakes happen.
Hope you didn’t get too badly busted up!
Carrying a spot (which I do) and have family/friends watching you is a great idea, has been plenty of discussion on this forum about that!

Safe travels Daz, have fun
Cheers
Shane
FollowupID: 905079

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 21:21

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 21:21
Thanks gents. Definitely agree RE the hydration and rest stops. I'm planning to make the ride as big of a part of the experience as the destination. Looking to take 5 or so days each way and stay for 3-4 days. Trying not to rush and take plenty of breaks.
I'm going to try to work a water bladder into my tank bag so I can continually sip and stay hydrated.
Looks like I'll miss the rally by about 3-4 weeks....bugger. That would have been great! I'm leaving Bris on around the 11th or so of July.
Again, thanks heaps for the info and advice guys. It is hugely appreciated. I most certainly didn't expect so many responses. This is such a great forum!!
And yes I'm definitely going to be carrying a Spot or equivalent. An absolute must when solo I reckon
FollowupID: 905080

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 13:55

Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 13:55
"I'm going to try to work a water bladder into my tank bag so I can continually sip and stay hydrated."

Would a camel pack under or over your jacket be practical?
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 905159

Follow Up By: DazAthorn - Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 14:11

Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 14:11
Yeah definitely an option for a camelback but I was just trying to keep any excess weight off my back for such a long trip
FollowupID: 905160

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 14:41

Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 14:41
Daz, just water in a back pack isn’t bad , as it gets lighter as you go anyway. I have mesh type jackets with bladder compartments incorporated. Work great.
Cheers
ShanrR
FollowupID: 905163

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 14:48

Sunday, Feb 09, 2020 at 14:48
Dazza, I think you will find he is referring to the Thorntonia - Velvertoft rd which is around 120 K our of the Isa which is pretty good.

If you go via The Curry to Gregory downs and onto Lawnhill all good and if your lucky the road from Gregory downs to Lawnhill may be in better condition, as they have opened up Century mine are are reprocessing the tails dam, just be aware that road trains maybe be operating carting cattle if you travel that section .
FollowupID: 905164

Sponsored Links