2004 Hilux SR5 3.0 TD

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:05
ThreadID: 13967 Views:6062 Replies:13 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Am currently in the US with work and will be purchasing a new Dual Cab when I return to replace my old 60 series. I am looking to add a dual battery system, fit a remote head codan and a GME TX 4400 for starters. I have already ordered a snorkel and winch bar. No winch yet, I currently have a 2.5t tirfor for that along with a high lift jace etc.

My questions are:

Can you fit a dual battery system under the bonnet if there is a snorkel fitted. If not, has anyone fitted a drop down battery beneath the tray? I've sketched out a plan to do this for my current dodge dakota, so I'm sure it would work on a hilux. It is similar to the Army battery box for the Landrovers that are fitted for radio; however, instead of sliding out for servicing it would drop down on the slides. Not sure if anyone has tried this. If you have I'd love to see how you went about it. I don't want to lose the load space and can't see myself cutting a hole in the floor.

What about the radios, any experience would be greatly appreciated. I've asked this before and been advised that the TX4400 should fit below the radio if I remove the toyota one and replace it with an after market CD player. Does anyone have any pictures of this? As for the Codan, I'm thinking that the remote head should be mounted on an overhead console which will also house the speaker. What about the main box, will it fit under the passenger seat? I'm thinking of putting the spare on a carrier on the back and mounting the autotuner there as well, otherwise it will go on the bullbar. Advice???

Thanks in advance for passing on your experience and advice.

Cheers

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruza - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 10:24

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 10:24
Craig,

I have just bought a 02 Dual Cab Lux Standard 3.0 D. I bought it with a genuine toyota steel winch bar with a X9 Superwinch and heavy duty tow bar and got tinting and rustproofing done to it straight away. Since then I have put on a pair of pencil beam Hella Rallye 4000 lights, GME TX3200 UHF, Blaupunkt CD, Jensen 6 inch splits, a Spuer Dark Tint bonnet protector, toyota canvas seat covers, Sandgrabba mats and a Safari Snorkel.

The TX4400 is a great UHF, plus it has the little speaker mounted in the front of the unit. Standard there is a storage slot under the CD, but if you remove this and the OE cd you can replace with a aftermarket CD and a TX4400. I decided to get the TX3200 because this way I just got the OE unit taken out and the new CD slots straight in, and then the 3200 is small enough to be mounted (via heavy duty velcro) in the storage slot. This way when i sell the ute down the track I can pull out the UHF and swap the cd player back with the orginal, and all will be back to normal. Also, the 3200 is easier to use, and I have never had a UHF before so this will be a good starting point.

ARB southside quoted me around $750 fitted for a dual battery system, all inclusive. They knew I was having a safari snorkel put in beforehand so I assume it is not a problem to have both under the bonnet.

Let me know if you want anymore info, always happy to talk 4x4!

Cheers,

Josh
AnswerID: 64174

Follow Up By: jolls - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:48

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:48
Josh,

Thanks for the info. I'll give ARB a call and see what they have got to say about the dual battery setup. The radio solution sounds as though it will work O.K.; however, if the 3200 fits in the slot this amy be a better option. I assume you have had to mount an external speaker somewhere though. How did you go about this?

Thanks again for your help, should have it all solved so I can get stuck into it when I get home. I'm also looking at tinting, lights and possibly a winch. What rust proofing did you get?

Thanks again for your help. Can't wait to get back out in the Aussie bush. 5 months to go and counting.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325317

Follow Up By: Cruza - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:10

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:10
Craig,

Good idea to call ARB, they do a hell of alot of work on Hilux's, although in my experience they are a bit more pricey than others on identical products/brands.

I forgot to mention another thing which I found to be a bonus with the 3200 is that the handheld mic is also the speaker. I haven't hooked mine up to an ariel yet (I am getting a better than standard GME coil base job) so I'm not sure what the sound quality is like yet.

I got the Hella driving lights over the Lightforce 240's because they fit beautifully on my bullbar and they are a few centimeters behind the front of the bar. The Lightforces are so huge they would have stuck right out past the front and therefore would have been the first point of contact if I ever gave something a nudge. Also they cover up a huge amount of the front grill so I reasoned they could be blocking airflow into the radiator, at least a little bit. And the Hella's are great and give a quality beam. I am going to mount some Lightforce lights on a roll bar later on to give me a good spread/fog beam.

I got the rustproofing done at Motorama 4x4xmore here in Brissy. It cost me $895 and has a 7 year warranty and you can put the vehicle on the beach without voiding this. They inspect and reapply the rustproofing each year. I will still spray some lanotech underneath and give the ute a really good wash after beach driving, but it definately give me some peace of mind.

Josh
FollowupID: 325321

Follow Up By: jolls - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:08

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:08
Josh,

Thanks again, I'm liking the sound of the 3200 more and more. Also thanks for the low down on the light forces. I was inclined to purchase them when I got homw; however, I can probably source the Hella's very cheaply here in the US before I head home.

I'll install the dual battery system myself as long as I can purchase a mounting tray for the battery. I'll definitely be getting some rust proofing done, will be picking the car up in Sydney but have no idea where I will be working yet. If I end up in BrisVegas I'll give Motarama a try.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325326

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:40

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:40
I have a 3.0TD Surf, has the 1kz-te motor, I also have a Safari Snorkel fitted. I belive the air box on mine is slightly different in that it is mounted on a slight angle and the ozi model does not have this, however here is a article about installing dual bat's to a surf.
Dual Bat Install

Note: The Surf came with two batterys in paralell so it was just a matter of intstalling an isolator, obviously with the Lux you will also need a battery plate and battery as well.

I can't see a problem fitting the UHF in the dash, I've already got other crap in the Din Slots so I have mounted mine between the passenger seat and console, works good there because the Mic clips right to the front of the console and is very easy to grab because your arm is normally on the armrest anyway. Looking at the HF bit myself at the mo, there is a chance it could fit under the seat but it will depend on the radio (size), I currently have a 300w Inverter under the drivers seat so I have high hopes!
AnswerID: 64181

Follow Up By: jolls - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:53

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:53
Jeff,

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like there may be enough room to for the dual battery set up. I'm going to give ARB a call to see what they have developed. I'll have to check the size of the Codan black box. I am more concerned that there may be heaters or tyre changing gear already stored below that I would then have to relocate. Perhaps behind the back seat may even be possible.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325319

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:56

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:56
It would be a fair bet that my surf is different to the new lux as far as seats and tyre changing gear, but with mine there is nothing under the front seats, all of the jack and tools etc are under the back seat, of course being a wagon it folds forward and that's how you access it, I dare say it but the lux would have to be different in that department...
FollowupID: 325320

Reply By: DiesAl - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:42

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:42
Hi Jolls, I have a 2000 Dual Cab and have installed the tx4400 under the radio in the dash. Just removed the storage pocked (to refit when I eventually sell) and it slotted straight in mine only had a single din stereo in it originally which got flicked for an mp3 player, but the mount brackets that came with the original radio allowed for the tx4400 to be bolted straight underneath the stereo in effect bolting the two together and fitting as one unit.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 64188

Follow Up By: jolls - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:11

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:11
DiesAl,

Thanks for the support. Now I'm tossing up the 4400 and the 3200 based on what Josh had to say. More investigation required I guess. Great to know that the 4400 will fity in nicely, with a good finish as well.

Cheers,

Craig
FollowupID: 325327

Reply By: Alex Callaghan - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:03

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:03
G'day Jolls,
My mate has an SR5 V6 and there is definatly no room for a second battery in there. I'm sure with the smaller 4cly TD you could sqeeze one in though. As far as the Codan goes, I would be looking at mounting the main box up high on the fire-wall behind the rear seats that seprates cab from tray/body. Don't want that power supplie down too low for water crossings. My mate has a Kamar rear carryer on the back of his SR5 Lux and he reckons It preforms great. Looks good too.

Good luck mate!

PS. consider that Chanmpagn colour on ya Hilux, looks the goods! Especialy with the colour coded ARB Bull bar.

AnswerID: 64190

Follow Up By: jolls - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:16

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:16
Allex,

Thanks for your insights. I considered behind the rear seats; however, thought that there wouldn't be enough room. I have the radio already so I'll sort it out when I get home. Hopefully someone will read this and tell me that they've already done it. I'll probably go a dual rear setup for the Kamar, one for a second spare and one for a 20l jerry, Highlift on one and autotune on the other. All starting to come together in my mind,

Thanks again,

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325330

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:44

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:44
Jolls,

I used to work in car audio so I have done a fair few UHF installations.

I also have a 1997 Rodeo dual cab with a Tx4400 fitted. The Rodeo has a factory pocket below the fan controls that can be removed for radio fitment. Most commercial vehicles have some form of doing this.

The Tx4400 is not the standard din size anymore however you can buy an adapter plate from GME that will make it one. Although you can get these for the 3200 and 3400 as well. If the Hilux has the double din radio in it you will have to replace it with an aftermarket single din unit. This will enable you to fit the UHF under (or over) the new radio. If you do get a new radio all the popular makes (Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony etc) will bolt straight in as they have multi screw holes to suit most Japanese vehicles (Toyota, Mitsubshi etc). You can even buy a loom that adapts the new radios wiring plug to the Hilux plug for an even easier install if you don't wish to fiddle with the wires.

The company I work for runs two F250 XLT dualcabs and they both have the Tx3200 radio. I can say though that both of these units have the speaker in the bottom of the radio not in the mic.

The main differences between the two UHFs other than size is -

The location of the speaker. Cost savings on buying 3200 might soon be lost if you have to buy an extenal speaker although internal one is sufficient in the F-250s.

4400 has Selcall. 3200 does not.

4400 has extra receive channels but I don't use these since the coppers went digital.

4400 has user set squelch. 3200 has factory set.

4400 has group and open scan. Think 3200 only has open?

4400 can keep scan moving after it has found a channel by pressing selcall button on the mic. 3200 doesn't have this button. Handy for when driving.

Anyway this is based on how I use my 4400. I do miss these features when drivng the F-250's with the 3200. But I do like my gadgets :)

Something to think about anyway.

Utemad.
AnswerID: 64215

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:50

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:50
Utemad,

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of the front mounted speaker v's an external mount. I'll have to look at the cost of the mic/speaker for the 3200.

Thanks for the advice on the radio fitting, I'll have to check out the pre-made wiring looms, sound like a great idea, much less fiddling around. I believe that the SR5 has a double Din radio so that will go. I'll sort that out before I leave once I know where we are headed when we get home. I want to have it all set up before I head off so I may have to look for someone who can supply fit.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325425

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:43

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:43
Jolls,
I have an '01TD for an aux battery, the radiator overflow bottle is remounted at 90 degrees to the radiator and the Batt fits between the air cleaner and the grill. The battery is only tiny (225mm long) due to the allowable space, not really sufficient to run a fridge for any length of time. Fitting a snorkal does not effect any space under the bonnet, as the air intake pipe from the aircleaner into the mudguard remains the same, it is extended inside the mudguard back out through the outside of the guard up into the snorkle.
As the 01 model has a single DIN radio/cassette, I have fitted a Uniden U088 radio in the space below the radio/cassette and to save drilling holes for the MIC I use the ashtray as the MIC holder. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 64254

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:54

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:54
Graham,

Thansk for the advice. I'm still leaning towards the 4400 at this stage. Will keep researching though, a couple of emails to toyota should get me the info I'm chasing. Do you know how many Ah your battery is rated at? Now I know some dimensions I'll look at the battery types.

Don't worry all the advice helps, still have a few months to get my head around exactly what I want to achieve.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325426

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:44
Jolls,
I have an '01TD for an aux battery, the radiator overflow bottle is remounted at 90 degrees to the radiator and the Batt fits between the air cleaner and the grill. The battery is only tiny (225mm long) due to the allowable space, not really sufficient to run a fridge for any length of time. Fitting a snorkal does not effect any space under the bonnet, as the air intake pipe from the aircleaner into the mudguard remains the same, it is extended inside the mudguard back out through the outside of the guard up into the snorkle.
As the 01 model has a single DIN radio/cassette, I have fitted a Uniden U088 radio in the space below the radio/cassette and to save drilling holes for the MIC I use the ashtray as the MIC holder. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 64255

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:44
Jolls,
AnswerID: 64257

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:45

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:45
Jolls,
AnswerID: 64258

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:45

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:45
Jolls,
AnswerID: 64259

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:50

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:50
Woops,
sorry about the multiple replys, thought there must of been a system fault as I was patched to search results each time I clicked Sumbit???????
AnswerID: 64260

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:55

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:55
No worries,

I certainly got your message LOL.
FollowupID: 325427

Reply By: Member - David- Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:40

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:40
Hi Jolls,
We have a 2000 TD Hilux DCab. Local Auto Electrician fitted a dual battery setup onto a manufactured tray, shifted Radiator overflow bottle to RHS next to washer bottle. Has a small battery though. Original leaked acid as is mounted sloping forward slightly and rough roads did the rest. Now have a fully sealed unit which I use for starting and the original is a deep cycle/cranking hybrid type. I use a manual switch.

We have fitted a rear bar (off with the shiny one) which gives a much better exit angle, incorporates a towbar, wheel carrier, jerry can carrier. Cost $1300 or $1400 which is much less than a Kaymar that has no towbar or jcan carrier. It is not as heavy as a Kaymar but does the job well. Made in South Africa and available widely I believe. We have been all over - Kimberleys, Canning, Tanami, Telegraph track across the Bight and many more and it hasnt budged. Snatched an overloaded Disco out of a salt lake on the Canning (well and truly stuck) and it didn't bend or break. The ultimate test I'd say.

Hiluxs are great, ours has given no trouble so far, but you do have to do all you can to conserve space if you are going deep into the outback as they become real small when you have to fit everything in. Did the Canning with a mate with an 80 Series Cruiser and learnt that he had a lot more room than we did, but we manage OK after fitting _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, fridge slide and built a fuel/water rack where the rear seat used to be.

Rear diff lock (Detroit) fixed the lack of articulation pretty much, and boosted rear springs. Best toy is the torsion bars from Auto Alliance - amazing ride with a handy lift. Winding up the originals (done it all my life) is no where near as good as the ride gets harsher. Explain that, heavier t bars and the ride is smoother!!, I was amazed.

Dont know much about HF radios, Satphone is my preference, $1000 and your away with something as big a a CDMA mobile. Can you fit a radio in where the ashtray is. I have a UHF tucked in there. Had to cut the back out of the ashtray recess a bit and remove the slides. Will all go back together OK when we remove it.

Happy travels.
David

AnswerID: 64277

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:02

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:02
David,

Thanks for the advice, especially on the rear bar. I haven't delved into that one too much. If you remember the name of the South African brand that will really help my research. I already own the Codan so that will be my primary means of long range comms. The scheds are alos such a greart way to keep up to date with what is happening around you. I was wondering about after market torsion bars, I'll check out auto alliance. I hadn't considered a locker, I have been able to get myself to most places, I just pull out the tirfor and do it a little slower if I get stuck. Great piece of kit, makes you work though. The locker is something I will look at further down the track, when I earn some more $$$$.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325428

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:03

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:03
David,

Thanks for the advice, especially on the rear bar. I haven't delved into that one too much. If you remember the name of the South African brand that will really help my research. I already own the Codan so that will be my primary means of long range comms. The scheds are alos such a greart way to keep up to date with what is happening around you. I was wondering about after market torsion bars, I'll check out auto alliance. I hadn't considered a locker, I have been able to get myself to most places, I just pull out the tirfor and do it a little slower if I get stuck. Great piece of kit, makes you work though. The locker is something I will look at further down the track, when I earn some more $$$$.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325429

Reply By: time waster - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:24

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:24
G'Day

I have an 03 td d/cab and the biggest battery you can fit under the bonnet is a 55amp with a snorkel so i put a 100amp in the ute on top of the wheel arch with a ARB solenoid I have a canopy on the tub so the battery is quite safe all DIY for $350 also if you can hang off there is a new Hilux being released in March 05 a complete shape change with a new td engine with intercooler and three ranges in the models can't wait
AnswerID: 64288

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:10

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:10
Time Waster,

Again thanks for the advice. My explorer probably _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx quite a lot given that it is a fridge and a freezer at the same time. I'll hook it up and check the draw, a 55 Ah battery does sound a little small for mine. I have put a bit of thought into mounting the battery below the tray. The Army 110s have a slide biuilt into the side of them for the radio batteries. I was thinking of doing something similar by clamping two slides to the chassis rail so that I could access the battery by dropping it down. I was thinking that I could use a fixed pin to allow it to drop down to an accessible level and clamp it over the to to stop any movement while travelling; i.e. clamp the whole box in place. Could hide two batteries under there I would think.

As for the 05 Hilux, not enough $ in the kit bag, will just have to make good with all the run out sales on the old one.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 325430

Follow Up By: Member - David- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:19

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:19
Jolls
The rear bar is an Abar (stylised). Advertised by ORE (Off Road Equipment) and Opposite Lock.

I have a Tirfor on board but have never used it, stiil wrapped in plastic. The locker means going slower over grossly uneven ground that lifts a wheel, rather than having to charge to get through, especially uphill.

Looks like this followup will be attached to Time Waster's. I agree with what he says about the small battery. Mine is a 55 ah also. I like the idea of slinging them underneath. I have thought of fastening a solar panel onto the bonnet to keep a bit of charge going in, especially on the days when we dont travel or have the motor running we tend to get a flat battery if there a 2 days like that.

cheers
David
FollowupID: 325515

Sponsored Links