Lithium Batteries

Interested in peoples choices of brands of 100amp to replace the batteries in my TVan
cheers mechpete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: skulldug - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 09:59

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 09:59
I have had two 90AH Winston batteries in our caravan for 8 years and have been very happy. I also have had one in the back of the car for 3 years, two of which were without a dcdc charger. It has been abused and neglected but is still going strong.

After this experience, I would certainly buy them again but not before looking for an Australian made alternative.

Cheers skull
AnswerID: 631718

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:19

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:19
I've been very happy with my choice of a custom system for my van from EV-Power. Many in our owners' club have used EV-Power batteries in their conversions from AGM, all with 100% success.

It's an Australian business. Support and after-sales service is second to none.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631719

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:41

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:41
Another for EV power, have been using two of their 100Ah built up backs for several years and they still test higher than their rated Ah. These batteries have been charged on a mix of chargers, a DCDC unit with user settings, a projecta mains charger set mostly to power supply mode and occasionally to either Gel or AGM if I wish to bring the batteries upto fully charged. Solar is being done by a projecta solar charger set to gel.

As an experiment I have recently purchased a DCS drop in. This battery can supposedly withstand high under bonnet temperatures and is suitable for use winching. and can be charged directly off the alternator. So far it is performing well. Initial testing shows Ah as per the manufactures, which is a bonus as it appears from many discussions on various forums that a lot of other brands don't come close to their rated Ah. Due to price though most would not be purchasing one of these units

Will be interesting to see how it goes over the next few years.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907901

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:03

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:03
HKB just curious as to how you test the Ah of your batteries. The methods I've seen are rather time-consuming.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907902

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:41

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:41
Yes time consuming, I use a battery capacity discharge tester. Set discharge amps, stop voltage and let it run. If I want to plot it then I connected a wireless volt and amp meters and log it to a laptop.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907904

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 19:17

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 19:17
folks have committed to a 200ah lithium from Ev power.

Just waiting for the travel restrictions to be eased up abit, still need a reason to travel in WA ie work education or medical.

Not to mention the cat 1 cyclone heading south over this weekend -bit ironic restrictions semi lifted now they mandating stay at home
FollowupID: 907927

Reply By: Mark C9 - Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 12:52

Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 12:52
Does anyone have any experience with Victory batteries from Solar n Sat from Bundy (formerly Gin Gin?) Not Victron!
AnswerID: 631738

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 08:15

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 08:15
Was going to recommend the iTech120 Lithium Battery from iTechworld but on checking their website, noticed the 120 has now been replaced by a 120x at a cost of $1950, which will blow potential buyers away.
The advantage of this model is the parallel connection of an unlimited number of batteries, which is of little use in a camping situation.

Purchased my iTech120 about 5 months ago for $900 and it is a beauty. It weighs 11 kg and replaced my previous pair of 100Ah Fullriver batteries with a total weigh of 60kg.
Have just got back from a week long bush camping trip to the Flinders Ranges and supported by a 200watt solar panel, never got below 82% capacity. I have a 70 litre upright compressor fridge in the van, plus the other standard 12v pump, lights, phone chargers, etc.

Keep looking for an affordable lithium battery but don't restrict yourself to a 100Ah capacity unit.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631761

Sponsored Links