ExplorOz Traveller App

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2020 at 08:45
ThreadID: 140067 Views:6738 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have just completed a return trip to the Flinders Ranges, where we spent a few days bush camping west of Blinman, along the Parachilna Track.

I fired up ExplorOz Traveller on my iPhone and enabled tracking and then completely forgot about it.
On returning home, I have viewed the recorded trek and am impressed with its accuracy.
This is much better than my previous experiences of the earlier versions of ExplorOz Tracking on an iPhone, where tracking didn't exactly follow the route and had gaps in it at times.
Much of the time we were outside cell tower coverage but the Traveller App must have held data and uploaded it to the server when back in range.

Now I have to take a more serious look at the app, because it would appear to provide much more functionality than the old method. I may even have to mount the iPad so I have play with it some more.

Well done David and Michelle.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 10:37

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 10:37
Do you still use Ozi Bill
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631763

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:28

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:28
Hi Stephen,

Yes, religiously at present. I still absolutely love OziExplorer.

My Hema 6 is getting a little dated and the Hema 7 is no longer available new.

How do you like the X-1 that doesn’t use Ozi?
Bill

FollowupID: 907992

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 14:27

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 14:27
I don’t, as you can not add your own maps.

For that very reason, my main unit now is still the HN7. The street navigation on the HX1 is extremely good and can not fault it.

I just don’t like changes and wish Hema never went away from the HN7, instead gone to a HN 8.......lol

Having said that, I still use the old HN6 in the Golf.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908002

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 12:34

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 12:34
I have been using Traveller since June 2019 and devoted my mobile (android) almost entirely for tracking and it's been great. I learned how to use it via Michelle's tutorials and going up and down the Root Hog Track. Then a trip out to Lake Eyre where my Telstra connection dropped out, as I now know no service (Telstra added service a few days after we left).

I added an old Apple iPad for a quick trip to Grafton a week ago, when we could travel, just a quick trip to test the waters and I put the iPad into use which worked great with very accurate tracking when I deliberately stopped and started tracking between Grafton & Glen Innes and home again.

Reading Michelle's latest update I also discovered it's useful for walking.

I also have Navman (with lifetime maps joke) and every time I do an update I get less accurate information so Traveller is the obvious choice - I won't toss Navman in the garbage (yet) because I'm used to it.

I discovered out how to go to a specific address using Traveller a few days ago and having watched the development of this (app) now I won't use anything else!

Great job David & Michelle
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631765

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 14:00

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 14:00
Great! Good to hear. Interested to know how long ago did you last use tracking as its been very robust for a long time now.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631768

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 14:44

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 14:44
If this is for me Michelle I last used tracking about 10 days ago, since October last year I use tracking on all trips and I have a nephew that keeps track of where we are when we are on the road.

I have only used what I needed initially and I found out about the walking bit because I had a better look at Traveller on the iPad.

Regards Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908003

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 15:00

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 15:00
Thanks Paul but my question was to the OP actually. But of course happy to hear you're getting out and using it too.

Interesting that you mentioned the use of the app for walking and had noticed my hiking Track Log posted to the our Facebook group. So glad we had the app and our phones that day as although we never intended to use it, we found that the trail was not well marked and towards the end of what we intended as a 12km hike we made a mistaken turn and once we realised how far offcourse we'd gone we opened the app and dropped a marker on the map where we knew our car was parked, then did a quick GoTo and the app showed us the best way to get there from our current position - which gave the true routing and distance. Whilst we had to divert and add another 3 or so kilometres it showed us a track that we couldn't see/was not signed and showed us that proceeding ahead to follow this route was better than turning back and retracing our steps to where we made the wrong turn. If you look at the route you'll see the odd looking triangle course change - that's the extra part we didn't intend to do but it was comforting to know the distance left to go and to see the app had auto-routed that route as the best option from our current stuff up.

(PS: I had tracking enabled hence the hike was tracked even though I wasn't actively using it for the hike as we were just following the trail). Just goes to show you how you will never know when you'll need to use it. We carry our phone and have the app tracking all the time for this reason - we are always going exploring ;)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908005

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 17:07

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 17:07
Michelle,

Last used tracking on our trek through WA to the Kimberley, etc. About 3 years ago.
Queried my problem with inaccuracy at the time. We were in Alice Springs on our return leg to Adelaide and the App showed a phantom triangular trip to Perth, Brisbane and Alice Springs. We didn’t go to Perth or Brisbane on that trip. The recorded route also didn’t follow the road we were on and appeared as straight lines at times. Those were early days and David identified a problem with running the App on an iPhone (4) at that time.
Appears great now and I will play with it some more.
Bill

FollowupID: 908007

Sponsored Links