12V Entertainment in Remote Country

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 01:30
ThreadID: 140143 Views:7076 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
What is the best way to watch downloaded Netflix movies from an iPad connected to a FHD Monitor? or 12V TV? A bigger screen would be nice.
Has anyone found a solution without the expense of an Invertor ?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H11 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 04:24

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 04:24
Not really answering your question, however we simply use the iPad. We've found that we need a transverse support on which to hang it, so that we can watch it in bed, so this is a simple fix when next we do some work on the vehicle. Adding more kit to take up space and add weight is something we seek to avoid.
AnswerID: 632117

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 05:49

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 05:49
Check out a Chromecast device. We use one to 'cast' Netflix, and others, from our phone to our TV. Small device powered from a USB port on the TV.
AnswerID: 632118

Reply By: jebs - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 07:44

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 07:44
What we use is a HDMI to Lightning lead and just go straight from TV to iPad
Works great whatever shows on the iPad screen shows on the TV
AnswerID: 632119

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:32

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:32
"What is the best way to watch downloaded Netflix movies in remote country?"

In a campsite? Quietly...

Seriously, Chromecast or the Apple equivalent is excellent. I met a couple using one of those micro projectors onto a white board. It was pretty good quality. Don't know the brand but there are a few on the market...

Cheers,
Mark

AnswerID: 632120

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:35

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:35
My solution was a 22inch ALDI tv which is 12volt and has a USB slot and DVD slot.

We used to time shift by recording Free to air on the USB and time shifting. We haven't donre it for a few years now as haven't been on long trips

So you could download to USB or DVD from a PC or look at free to air when you are in a caravan park with an antenna(I have an ALDI powered one) again 12 volt.

I was recently looking at maybe more compact devices and there are lots of small 12volt data projectors out there on EBAY now and some have mirroring so you could mirror from the Ipad to the projector onto a wall or tent..
Be aware that sometimes there is no mobile reception in many places or maybe no reception from your provider , yet there may be free to air.
Regards PhilipA
AnswerID: 632121

Reply By: Michael M34 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 09:25

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 09:25
Thanks Lads,
Food for thought. In the early 80's I took a VCR, TV powered by a brilliant Honda generator into a remote mountain spot we knew of. Armed with a few taped movies the kids loved it. They still joke about us "roughing it" It was a once off.
Just prior the Virus, we had 4 days and nights at 1500m with continuous cloud and mist and we found watching downloaded Netflix movies on the iPad for the first time handy. Naturally we were completely on our own.

Allan mentioned just use the iPad, others a TV, Projector etc. and thanks for the help.
The movie thing is certainly not a regular event particularly when a good fire is going. Also our trips seem to be getting further into more remote places to avoid the crowds these days. So we thought what's wrong with watching a good movie before bed on a rainy night?

Cheers

AnswerID: 632122

Follow Up By: Alan H11 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 10:16

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 10:16
Yes - not exactly “getting away from it all” however we enjoy a netflix movie on a cold night after a couple of months travelling. Agree that it’s important to respect others.
FollowupID: 908570

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 14:03

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 14:03
" Respect others " !!! Now there's a unusual thought for this day and age.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908575

Follow Up By: Michael M34 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 15:45

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 15:45
Jim; the respect, courtesy and goodwill with travellers is less than back in the days of Yore. I agree.
However, there are still a majority of good people out there, so keep your glass "Half Full" mate.

Cheers - 72yo and were still learning.
FollowupID: 908580

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 20:06

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 20:06
Michael, I was referring to the baying mobs on the streets at the moment. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it .
Almost everyone I meet in my Aussie travels are lovely honest friendly and no axes to grind.
It's still a great country, but it will take some work from good people to keep it that way.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908593

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 17:35

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 17:35
You do not need and Netflix crap when in the bush.

The best fun is sitting around a campfire and get back to nature.....the best education you ever need and talk.....
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632130

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 17:53

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 17:53
Gold star for the most helpful response to the original question.
NOT
FollowupID: 908586

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 18:21

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 18:21
Typical non helpful response from Stephen - sorry mate if you dont want things like Netflix then dont use them - we are all individuals and and have different preferences - OP do what you want within the bounds of respecting others.

As far as the original question - obviously the internet may not be available when bush so plan ahead and I would record what you want on a USB at home and then play from that - there are a range of small 12v TVs or even a small 240v tv and inverter - though a 15" laptop works well.

I have my laptop but I also have a 26cm 12v Kogan TV (was $125 off ebay) to play videos on in the camper.
FollowupID: 908588

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 18:32

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 18:32
If you can not live without Netflix....why leave home them.

Travelling is about enjoying what nature has to see, not tv
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908589

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 19:40

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 19:40
Who says - it is what you want it to be - there are too many sanctimonious people who believe every one should do as they want to do.
FollowupID: 908591

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 20:01

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 20:01
Going outback and away from everyday life is what you go for isn't it? Watch what you like at home but if leaving home experience what the country has to offer and learn new things about your immediate environment. Last trip was 7 weeks, didn't have tv anything, mostly no phone too. That is what we went for. Hardly a change if there is no change.
P. S. Sunrise in the outback is good. I agree with Stephens sentiments but I know it isn't providing what the op wants. A Clayton's Holiday.?
FollowupID: 908592

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 20:54

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 at 20:54
And can you not do all that and watch a movie after dinner in the evening?
FollowupID: 908595

Follow Up By: Michael M34 - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 01:30

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 01:30
ha hah hah, oops I hope I didn't upset anyone with the enquiry :)

To get back on track and context, I've been at this game since Noah was a lad. Kimberlys, Coburg, The Cape, Canning, Simpson, Tasmania's West Coast and people who know me would be having a quiet chuckle about me even raising the question of "Home Entertainment" in the Bush.

If we check the original post or two the idea came about recently in the Barrington Tops when the weather came in and sitting around. The fire couldn't happen. We have a Rooftop Tent these days with a 270 Awning and Walls so we were pretty snug. We have all been stuck a few times before while waiting for a creek to drop so sitting around waiting for a few days can get edgy. In the 70's/80's we carried a deck of cards or read an out of date newspaper for firelighting just for something to do.

I figure if, for example, you carry an iPad with a few movies on it, in the conditions noted, why wouldn't you embrace a bit of Techno? Please note the all the comments related to this thread have validity.
From sitting quietly around a fire at night to a projector and a white board - to each his own as long as you respect fellow travellers re noise. Ear phones work around other campers.

Have fun and stay safe

Cheers
FollowupID: 908600

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 08:05

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 08:05
OzzieCruiser and CSeaJay

I feel sorry for you both with your little dummy spits.

It sounds like you are of the younger generation that have lost the art of conversation making and can not amuse yourself with the simple things in life.

You guys can stick with your heads glued to a screen while I will enjoy the solitude of the crackle of a campfire and healthy conversations with great friends.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908602

Follow Up By: Mark C9 - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:14

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:14
I specifically don’t have netflicks because I know that I will end up watching way too much tv when I could be doing other things
I use sat tv when in the bush and now just record programs and watch them later so I only watch the things I really like
But, remember its your choice what you do while camping
To think that your education will be expanded by listening to things said around a campfire is laughable
FollowupID: 908614

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:18

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:18
"It sounds like you are of the younger generation that have lost the art of conversation making and can not amuse yourself with the simple things in life."

There you again Stephen making wrong assumptions again - why can you just not accept that people may want to do things differently than you want to do.

If everyone followed what you wanted to do - there would not be thousands of wobble boxes traveling the country with their sat internet, big tvs and induction cook tops.

It is you who criticised someone who just wants to watch a little netflkex after sitting around the fire - I am glad I do not have to go camping with you, it would be like being with a dictator.
FollowupID: 908621

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 18:29

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 18:29
Ozzie cruiser
Stephen is a nice bloke and isn't a dictator or making anyone do what they don't want to do by saying they must. Claiming "dictator" is totally wrong. I understand non essential. He doesn't want to stop anyone, nor is he trying to, simply pointing out it isn't essential to life. Apart from seeing small amount of tv at a friend's place I haven't turned my home tv on for over two years. I find it hard to be interested in tv anything. Outdoors, far better.
FollowupID: 908626

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 18:57

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 18:57
Sorry but his posts dont support that
FollowupID: 908628

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 20:12

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 20:12
Gbc
He didn't criticise him, he simply said it wasn't needed if away from home. English means something. How do people get the idea something which didn't happen , did, and start claiming it has? Back to school for some, sorry you won't learn it there anymore.
FollowupID: 908629

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 21:36

Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 21:36
Enough already, folks. Can we please get back to the OP's question.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908630

Sponsored Links