Perth to Broome tips

Submitted: Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 23:20
ThreadID: 140658 Views:8900 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I just registered as my friend and I are headed north for 3-4 weeks leaving soon to head to Broome and do the Gibbs if it's not too wet there. Just seeing if anyone has any good tips on side tracks to take on the way up? We've got a stock 05 pajero so aren't planning on doing anything too crazy, also just due to still being pretty new to 4wding. Cheers guys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 06:07

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 06:07
You may be too late to go this year. Check the homestead and roadhouse websites. They will be closing soon.

I know the Drysdale River Station didn't open this year due to covid, and many others may be in the same boat.

Just double check.

AnswerID: 633788

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 09:24

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 09:24
Mathew, this is a very good information source. I think you are too late this year.Kimberly Newsletter
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633789

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 16:50

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 16:50
The below is copied from the Kimberly Newsletter dated October 6th, 2020. I would recommend signing up to the very informative newsletter if considering doing the Kimberley at a later date.

I wouldn't bother with the Gibb this year.

"The few places along the Gibb River Road that had opened this year have either just closed or will close soon:
Birdwood Downs is still open.
• Mt. Hart is already closed.
• Mt. Elizabeth Station is closed! It was already closed for accommodation and meals but was supposed to stay open for camping until October 11. They just changed that and are now completely closed. (I literally found out minutes before sending this.)
Manning Gorge and the campground there will remain open until October 11, i.e. the night from October 10 to October 11 will be the last night for camping there.
The gates will close on 4pm on the 11th, and from the 12th Barnett Roadhouse will be on wet season hours.
(Mon - Fri 10am-2pm, Sat 9am-12, Sun closed.)
Imintji Roadhouse (and the campground) is closed, so Barnett is your only place to get fuel.
Windjana Gorge and Silent Grove (Bell Gorge) campgrounds should stay open until the end of October, weather permitting.

Geikie Gorge is still open and the boat tours operating.

Purnululu National Park also is still open for visits and camping, even though online booking was only possible until September 30.
The park usually stays open until end of November, weather permitting, but the visitor centre closes earlier, usually mid October.

For people thinking of doing a day trip to Purnululu from the highway:
The Bungle Bungle Caravan Park at the highway turn off (a commercial park at the start of the access track, not part of the national park) will close on October 18."
FollowupID: 910900

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 13:34

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 13:34
Perth to Broome (and presumably back) in "3-4 weeks" would be a marathon, let alone trying to include the GRR, even if the weather was kind (which it won't be).
Restrict yourself with having a quick look around the Pilbara. There is more than enough there to keep you entertained for a couple of months.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 633794

Reply By: Dusta - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 14:46

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 14:46
This time of year the wet is starting. I would suggest spending some time on google to find out more about where you want to go and the best time of year. Broome and GRR are the worst places to be at the moment and as others have said alot of places are shut .

Wait until june next year
AnswerID: 633795

Reply By: Stephen H15 - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 23:38

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 23:38
As others have said, too late for the Kimberley. PeternMargaret posted a valid point. Some top sights---and sites---in the Pilbara. One suggestion is Tom Price and the Hammersley Gorges. Check for local road conditions, etc. but the roads from both Karratha and Pt. Hedland are usually pretty good due to the mines keeping them in top shape. Still plenty of dirt patches but not too harsh. Good practice for you, I hope.
AnswerID: 633796

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:09

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:09
Mathew I'd stick to the coast beyond 80 Mile Beach and only go as far as the Dampier Peninsula. Stacks to see and do there and with the hot weather the fishing will be much better.
A route I'd take is the Marble Bar Rd to Nullagine, then east along the Skull Springs Rd to Running Waters and onwards to CarawineGorge (must do and a good couple of days could be spent here), into Marble Bar for a look-see then, head north via excellent gravel roads to the Borderline Road coming out on the Great Northern Highway to Eighty Mile Beach, Barn Hill & into Broome and then up the Peninsula.

Enjoy, but it will more than likely be hot as Haydee's, humid as all hell and possibly verrrrrrry wet. Either way it will beat what I'll be doing stuck in an office.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633798

Sponsored Links