Blog Review: New Photos 2020

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 11:23
ThreadID: 140844 Views:6719 Replies:1 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived

My Blog Rating: My Rating 3/5

Hi Guy's, Great to see those creeks flowing,I know some people are wary of water crossings even after seeing other vehicles cross ok, could be because of the advice given by authorities that state to never drive into flood waters,I agree partly with that advice, but after seeing other vehicles cross it possibly comes back to self confidence,a prime-mover has no more ground clearance then a 4wd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 12:09

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 12:09
Agree with you Jeff, especially the creeks flowing. There were two B Doubles in from of us and when I spoke to the drivers they both said they were waiting a while longer and so we waited. Almost two hours after we stopped the cattle truck came through, then 'I could see how deep it was ', he came through easy and the B doubles went next followed by about 5-6 4WD's and they seemed OK. An older 2WD ute with an old van crossed and took it OK. I was cautious as I had a Navara before the Triton and one of the truckies said we would have no trouble once the water dropped so I heeded their advice but the Journey is about 700kg lighter than the Parkes we had last and I wasn't sure - now I know.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634373

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 13:48

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 13:48
G/Day Paul, Its the speed of the current that always concerns me most of the time, .

Good Photos by the way!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 911519

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 21:28

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 21:28
G'day Axle and thanks
Current speed was my concern also but the springs were moved above the axle (no pun intended) to give us more clearance when we do venture onto ordinary dirt roads again, very very slowly, so I figured there would be far less impact from the flow (which was quick but OK) because of the clearance. I relied entirely on what the truckies told me and another lesson under the belt. I do have a Navman but I turned it off during our wait time and forgot to turn it back on .....

Regards Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911527

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 07:50

Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 07:50
Hi Paul, where exactly is this floodway? Is it the one near the Hookina Ruins?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911529

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 10:33

Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 10:33
G'day Macca it's on the B80 RmWilliams Way about 10-12km north of Carrieton and it's another 25km to Cradock Pub. So that's about 80km from the ruins (Exploroz Traveller - I'm working it out OK). My metadata from the photos calls it the Pekina Crk crossing and 1-2km south of Mallee Bore Rd.

Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911535

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 12:40

Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 12:40
The crossing is so close to Pekina Creek it doesn't matter, but I think it's actually Yanyarrie Creek - here's a screen shot:

Beautiful country up there. A few weeks ago we stayed at Almerta Station Stay, 5 or 6km north of that crossing.Well worth a visit.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911538

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 13:16

Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 13:16
G'day Frank thanks for the update, I found that when I checked for Macca with Google, then ExplorOZ maps and I saw Yanyarie Creek when I had a proper check. Good lesson for me to pay more attention to detail.

We were up there grand final weekend at Rawnsley Park Stn and that was OK but we left early. The bride is anxious to go again and I flippantly suggested back to SA for a quick trip, she agreed, so we might check out Almerta Station Stay. Thanks for pointing that place out, weatherwise I guess it will be hot.

Regards Paul h
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911540

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 13:26

Monday, Dec 07, 2020 at 13:26
Paul,

Pekina Creek seems to change its name to Boolcunda somewhere north of the crossing. Almerta's campsites (about 12 of them, I think) are secluded and set along Boolcunda Creek, which is quite large. A number of sites and their access are suitable for largish vans. Others not, depending on the state of the station tracks after rain. They're a great crew at the homestead - they'll look after you.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911541

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2020 at 12:21

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2020 at 12:21
Thanks Paul & Frank,

I have traveled that road a few times, never seen any water across the road like that before. I thought it might have been the floodway near the Hookina Ruins on the Outback Highway just north of Hawker.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911557

Sponsored Links