Queanbeyan to Bredbo

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:18
ThreadID: 140904 Views:5213 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if I can travel from Queanbeyan to Bredbo without crossing into ACT ? Or will there be a blockade along the Monaro hwy somewhere ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:32

Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:32
You can go Qbyn to Bredbo via Captains Flat and Jerangle, but it is all gravel (good surface though). Also, you can go Qbyn to Burra and then to Michelago, bypassing the ACT, again, gravel roads. But why bother? You can go Qbyn along the Old Cooma Road to Royalla, and then down the Monaro Hwy. Yes - it is in the ACT, but it is all in the country and only about 15 km before you are back in NSW again. And the last route is sealed road all the way.

My understanding about blockades is that you are allowed to travel through the ACT, as long as you do not stop in the ACT IF there is a blockade in force. I was almost commuting to Sydney from Cooma last year, and I never seven saw any efforts at blockades. I heard on the TV a couple of days ago that ACT police were randomly stopping cars coming into the ACT from the North, but I have not heard anything about road blocks elsewhere. I seriously doubt that you would have trouble going Qbyn to Royalla and then down the highway .
AnswerID: 634525

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:34

Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:34
Yes, you can.

Queanbeyan - Old Cooma Rd - Burra Rd to Michelago then Monaro Hwy keeps you out of ACT.

Instead of Burra Rd you could stay on the Old Cooma Rd and join the Monaro Hwy at Royalla but it is arguable whether or not you're in the ACT or NSW as the Hwy at that point seems to be the border.

Edit: Erad posted while I was doing my map!

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634526

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:39

Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:39
The border is the railway line which, at Royalla is only about 100 m East from the Monaro Highway.
AnswerID: 634527

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:59

Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 21:59
Yeh, strange place for the border, especially up near Queanbeyan. You have to go in then out of ACT to get there, then the same going south.
If I have to go via dirt ( supposed to get rain in the next few days), I may as well go to Cooma area via Braidwood ?
FollowupID: 911756

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 23:36

Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 23:36
"If I have to go via dirt ( supposed to get rain in the next few days), I may as well go to Cooma area via Braidwood ?"

I've travelled that road many times. It's an all-weather gravelled road.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911757

Follow Up By: Erad - Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:25

Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:25
I haven't been on the Burra to Michelago road for a long time now, but it was a bit rough when I was last on it. But they are all gravel roads and floods notwithstanding, should not be affected by rain (other than getting your car dirty).
FollowupID: 911763

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:35

Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:35
There are no blockades in the ACT or at the borders - if you have been into the Greater Sydney area you have to "self" report and "self quarantine". No issues from Quenabeyan.

I would just drive down Lanyon Drive to the Monaro Highway and then south down to Bredbo. If you are worried - then down past Googong, Burra and south the Monaro Highway
AnswerID: 634528

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 16:15

Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 16:15
All good, I'm at Jugiong now and I'll probably head in off the Hume to Adelong, and then head south from there and look for a camp-site.
No nat parks, as the ones I checked are "sold" out..
FollowupID: 911771

Sponsored Links