JULIA CREEK - DALY WATERS VIA BURKETOWN

Submitted: Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:47
ThreadID: 141078 Views:5692 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at doing this in June this year.

We have LC100 series with upgraded suspension and Nextgen Blackline caravan.

I would guess that most of this would be dirt road with corrugations.

We did Oondatta Track last year and van suffered underside damage, plumbing. Average speed 30km/h for most of it so don't really want to do that stuff again.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:15

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:15
Snippy, Probably best to go via Camooweal if you, "don't want to do that stuff again".
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635074

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:46

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:46
Snippy,

Have you ever considered adding a Stone Stomper "trapeze" to your rig?
I have been using one for the past ten years or so and no underside damage at all, to any of my rigs.
The stones, etc. that are flung up by the vehicles wheels rebound off the mesh and lose impact velocity as they pass underneath the van.

One of the best investments I have made and I wouldn't go anywhere without one fitted.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635075

Follow Up By: Member - snippy - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:48

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:48
On the Oodnadatta track the plumbing under the rear of the van was totally wiped out.

Looking at the stone stomper I can see that it will protect the front of the van (Too late for our van) but I have my doubts about protecting stuff under the back of the van.
FollowupID: 912599

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 08:57

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 08:57
Snippy, I travelled the area you are contemplating 3 years ago. Much of the journey you are doing is sealed. If you are planning to include the Savannah Way from Burketown to Borroloola then you will strike the corrugations and rough road conditions you are trying to avoid. Its not too bad to Hells Gate but then it deteriorates through to Borroloola.Julia Creek to Gregory Downs is sealed as is Gregory Downs to Burketown. If you do Borroloola to Cape Crawford and then across to Daly Waters via Carpentaria Hwy this is single lane sealed and in pretty good condition from memory. Julia Creek is a busy little spot and people were struggling to get into the Caravan Park when we were there. They have an overflow and this was also full.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 635076

Follow Up By: Member - snippy - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 09:19
We are looking at going Julia Creek, Burketown, Borroloola.

Do I understand correctly that Hells Gate to Borroloola is not good?

( I agree with your comments re Julia Creek, Quick and the dead only in that place, getting there early is the key I think.
FollowupID: 912548

Follow Up By: Kenell - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:02

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:02
That's right Snippy. Hells Gate to Borroloola was quite corrugated when I drove it. There are also a few creek crossings and one that had a spring in the middle of the decent (approaching from the west) that caused the odd challenge for people towing. I travelled towing a hybrid camper and took it pretty easy. I have a stone stomper so no undercarriage issues or chips on the front. The night before we left Borroloola two vans came in on the back of a flat tray after turning over. I didn't get to hear how their separate rollovers happened. The road is wide and conditions change frequently from very bad corrugations to unsealed four lane highway. Its actually a nice drive but not if you are concerned about the trailer following you and feeling every bump.
FollowupID: 912550

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 21:17

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 21:17
Hells Gate to Borroloola can be great or a nightmare. I was lucky to drive it not long after the graders had been through. Good road. I have also driven it when the corrugations were crazy. Luck of the draw in many instances, like many outback dirt roads.
FollowupID: 912607

Sponsored Links