Perth,Exmouth, Ningaloo, Coral Bay, Monkey Mia, Kalbarri, Mt Augustus.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 00:53
ThreadID: 141089 Views:5822 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Our July trip as stated above. Will be doing this in our 2012 170,000 kms Nissan X trail. A few years since we have done anything like this & I am wondering if the vehicle is a bit long in the tooth for this trip. Only thing that has had to be done to the car is a new clutch last October. Otherwise never missed a beat & serviced as per log book. Towing a 6x4 trailer with gear. Already have fuel cans from past outings but need to purchase a couple of spare wheels & tyres. Am I being a bit too over cautious? I know this is not an epic journey in the scheme of 4wd treks but we are not as young as we used to be..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 05:19

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 05:19
As it's well maintained I would not be worried about the vehicle.

I don't think you need extra fuel. From Gascoyne Junction to Mt Augustus is around 300 Km, and as long as there's fuel at Mt Augustus Tourist Park you should be OK. I don't think any of the other sectors is longer.

The debate about a second spare is always tough, our view is that one spare is enough (we carried two around Australia and needed only one, on one occasion; we carried two around Africa and didn't have a single puncture; we carried one around South America and needed only one). As long as you have a repair kit, carry a compressor, and look after your tyres you should be OK I believe. If your trailer has tyres which are a different size from those on the vehicle, then one of each size would be sensible.

If you're planning to follow the coast from Exmouth to Ningaloo (via Turquoise Bay etc.) I suggest asking locally about the condition of the road, which when we were there was reportedly not good (we chose to explore Ningaloo from Yardie's Homestead, then return from Oyster Stacks to Exmouth and then to Coral Bay so have no idea whether the road directly from Oyster Stacks to Coral Bay would have been OK).

When we planned to go to Mt Augustus it had rained heavily and the roads were closed, so we'll have to return some day.

Looks like a great trip!
AnswerID: 635093

Follow Up By: Tony B(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 08:55

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 08:55
Thanks. Just the comments we needed.
FollowupID: 912595

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 06:24

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 06:24
I agree with Alan, good advice.
170,000 k isn’t that much these days, a lot of vehicles engine and drive train and mostly the rest of the vehicle, can do 3 to 400 thousand and more without any problems.
Have a great trip !
AnswerID: 635094

Follow Up By: Tony B(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 08:59

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 08:59
Thanks for the reply. A few years ago now when our second car was an Elantra the RAC service mechanic was telling me how a customer had 6 Elantras all having done over 250,000 kms.
FollowupID: 912596

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 07:21

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 07:21
Tony : you shouldn't have any problems with your vehicle.. but have you done any pre booking ..
School holies 1st 2 weeks in July, we are finding things are filling quickly..
In regards to tyres we have not done a tyre in the last 10 years of this tyre of touring with the best quality.. the question will be your trailer tyres
We will be touring in 2003 300,ks LC & 2012 170, ks ranger & are very confident of no problems.. good luck with your plans .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 635095

Follow Up By: Tony B(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:03

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:03
Thanks for replying. We have Monkey Mia booked as we went there last year & know how quickly there fills up. We rebooked as soon as was possible. A fantastic RAC facility & spotless amenities.
FollowupID: 912597

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:08

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:08
An alternative view on tyres.

What has been said above is ok if you are using Light Truck tyres, if using Highway pattern then I urge you to reconsider. There are many rocky patches on the dirt road roads and creek crossings.
Highway pattern tyres are more prone to puncturing especially the sidewalls.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 635096

Follow Up By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:26

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:26
Good point - didn't occur to me. HT definitely not a good plan, we've used AT with no problems (one puncture in the last decade in 100,000 Km or so - Australia, Africa, South America - probably 65% highway, 30% gravel, sand, rocky surfaces, 5% "offroad").
FollowupID: 912598

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:23

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:23
Sounds like a great trip.
Having travelled most of those roads in last few years I wouldn’t have too many fears.
Carrying extra fuel might save you a few dollars but it’s probably not necessary.
Good advice above on tyres .
Check the bearings on the trailer.

Cheers
AnswerID: 635097

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:10

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:10
Hi Tony,

If your vehicle has not seen some stress for a few years I suggest you do a day trip of several hundred kilos just to try it out before heading off on your July trek. This will test your transmission and cooling system etc.
I have seen a number of people suffer difficulties on the first day of a trip who said that the vehicle had given no problems running around the suburbs.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635099

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2021 at 21:21

Sunday, Feb 28, 2021 at 21:21
Number of times I've seen a car or 4wd half way up Greenmount hill east of Perth heading east supports this thought
FollowupID: 912891

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:17

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:17
You should ensure you replace or repack your trailer hub bearings before this trip. Also check the leaf springs and carry parts to fit.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635100

Reply By: Erad - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 15:46

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 15:46
For our first outback trip (albeit on good sealed roads all the way), I was concerned about the fact that our Magna had 150000 km on the clock. I threw in the tension wrench, W/S manual, full tool kit - enough to virtually do a complete overhaul on the roadside. Needless to say, because I was prepared, nothing went wrong. In fact, while the Magna was using 1 L of oil in 1000 km at home (short runs, cold starts etc), it used 0.5 L in 10000 km, and by the time we got home it was down a full litre in 14000 km. Then it was back to 1L per 1000 km again... Modern cars if maintained well should last at least 300000 and probably more like 400000 km. A friend of mine has a fleet of Toyota 4WDs. All of them have done over 550000 km and are still on the original rings and bearings. They have had the heads re-done because they didn't do the valve adjustments, but the rest of the cars have been reliable.

As for tyres, good AT tyres would be advisable, or if this isn't an option, a second spare would suffice. It is easy to cut a sidewall. If you didn't want to carry a full second spare wheel, you can carry a spare tyre carcass and fit that should the need (and your ability) arise.

Since you have a manual transmission, I think that that part of the mechanicals should be reliable enough for the trip. If it was an auto transmission, I would recommend that you get the transmission serviced before you go.

Carry plenty of water with you as well, because should you have trouble out there, you could be stressed by the lack of water. Needless to say, if you go properly prepared, you will have no troubles and enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 635104

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 16:35

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 16:35
Ditto
"Carry plenty of water with you as well, because should you have trouble out there, you could be stressed by the lack of water. Needless to say, if you go properly prepared, you will have no troubles and enjoy the trip."
Drinking water is very scarce, even if you buy fuel or stay at a roadhouse - no water.
Coral Bay has a drinking water tank and you can fill the kettle.
The bore water is so hot, I let it cool in the Hot Water tank, so Hot was cool and cold was HOT.
Fantastic place.

Enjoy

FollowupID: 912605

Reply By: Tony B(WA) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 14:03

Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 14:03
Thanks for all the info. Now have 2 spare wheels & tyres (glad to be rid of the 80kph spare).
Booked in without trouble at Kalbarri, Carnarvon, Gascoyne Junction, Mount Augustus & Monkey Mia.
AnswerID: 635146

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 17:59

Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 17:59
temporary speed limited spares are night mare out bush they soft and won't last very long. Be glad you got rid of it and have full sized spare.

Just be aware that around Mt Augustus Gascoyne shire a number of roads have been closed due to the TC that wasn't a TC that headed south to perth few weeks back.

Pays to check what road conditions are before you head off and be prepared to either change plans or alternative route. Google all the local shires and road report should give you a result .

on subject of fuel only fuel in these parts are Carnarvon Gascoyne junction Murchison settlement Meektharra and Mt Augustus always pays to have enough range for Plan B if one doesn't have fuel (rain event road closed)
FollowupID: 912904

Reply By: Member - Maccaman194 - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 13:27

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 13:27
Hi Tony
Good luck with your trip. Might see you there. I am in the same area late July, August and September. Kimberley, Karajini, Exmouth, Shark Bay returning home in Sept via the Gunbarrel Hwy.
As someone else here mentioned, I strongly recommend Light Truck Series tyres. Load range D minimum or preferably E. (118/123). Not so much worry about HT or AT pattern, but Load Rating is important.
Passenger ply tyres (6P) do not tolerate heavy loads and sharp rocks. I totally destroyed a brand new set of Cooper ATRs on the Gibb River Road in 2006 because they were 6ply passenger rated tyres and I had too much load, in hindsight ran them too soft and drove too fast. Basically they get too hot, the rubber gets soft then puncture time. Since then I have tried many brands Cooper, BFG, Mickey Thompson, and have had very few problems, but they are always Light Truck Series. Much stronger construction and much more durable.
I don't worry so much about brand or tread pattern but I do worry about the load rating, how much weight and running at the appropriate pressure and speed.
I guess if your X Trail and trailer is only lightly loaded and you took it really steady you might get away with passenger ply tyres, but it is a risk.
I have TPMS to keep my eye on pressure and temperature and that is the best $200 ever spent.
Feel free to PM me if you wish and maybe we could compare itineraries and catch up
Good luck
Cheers
Peter

AnswerID: 635256

Follow Up By: Tony B(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 19:35

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 19:35
Hi. Just picked up 2 as new spare wheels & tyres for $200. Had to replace the 80km spare anyway. Not going on any really bad roads & we are leaving the trailer in Carnarvon for 4 days whilst visiting Mt Augustus ^& Gascoyne Junction. Another 4 days in Carnarvon then off to Monkey Mia.Will look into the TPMS. Thanks
FollowupID: 912939

Reply By: Member - Maccaman194 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 10:28

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 10:28
Hi Tony
Just out of curiosity, where are you staying at Kalbarri? I was looking at Murchison House Station that looks really interesting for bush camping and 4WD, but $50 per vehicle access fee plus the camping fee? Wow. Probably reasonable value if staying for a week but no way am I going to pay $75 for 2 adults for a single night of bush camping with no facilities.
So maybe Big River Ranch just down the road.
Have you planned anything yet for Kalbarri or heard of any other good spots?
Peter

AnswerID: 635356

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 12:07

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 12:07
Murchison House Station $15 per person, per night camping at the Homestead if you only require one night.
FollowupID: 912947

Follow Up By: Tony B(WA) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2021 at 10:50

Saturday, Mar 06, 2021 at 10:50
Kalbarri Palm Resort. We could not find suitable camping so booked here for a couple of nights. Just want to see the new look outs in the NP.
FollowupID: 912998

Sponsored Links